The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Disney+ Obi-Wan Kenobi (May 27th, 2022)

Gentle Sharptooth

• Sharplord
  • Member+
  • Cera
  • Captive of Grief
    • View Profile
I am die hard Star Wars fan, I happen to love it all: Original Trilogy, Prequels, The Sequel Trilogy, Legends and Canon books & comics & video games, all of it!

I am thrilled Kenobi is happening! To see what the greatest paladin, the most devoted Jedi was doing all those years Luke was growing up is a real gift from The Force.

Without further to do, The Trailer!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=TWTfhyvzTx0

Thoughts?
« Last Edit: April 08, 2022, 09:27:13 PM by Gentle Sharptooth »

“The Past is Gone..” -Dream On, Aerosmith

aabicus (LettuceBacon&Tomato)

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Rations
    • View Profile
    • aabicus.com
I'm super excited for this show as well. I haven't watched most of the EU stuff, so I'm hoping I won't be too lost if all I've seen are the mainline movies.

Though I have seen most of the media with Ahsoka in it, which is why I'm really excited for her show as well. Imagine if they crossed over and those two characters met each other again after all those years apart!

Gentle Sharptooth

• Sharplord
  • Member+
  • Cera
  • Captive of Grief
    • View Profile
Quote from: aabicus (LettuceBacon&Tomato) on April 08, 2022, 09:58:30 PM
Quote from: aabicus (LettuceBacon&Tomato) on April 08, 2022, 09:58:30 PM
I'm super excited for this show as well. I haven't watched most of the EU stuff, so I'm hoping I won't be too lost if all I've seen are the mainline movies.

Though I have seen most of the media with Ahsoka in it, which is why I'm really excited for her show as well. Imagine if they crossed over and those two characters met each other again after all those years apart!

Oh you are good to go my SW friend. Most of media now is only based on the The movies, The Clone Wars series, Rebels, and some Canon books. The Expanded Universe / Legends is now just a source of inspiration like Kylo Ren/ Ben Solo being a version of Darth Cadeus/ Jacen Solo. Though some legends are being brought into fold like Revan/Darth Revan and etc.

I am so excited! Kenobi is the Jedi who embodies what I think a true Jedi should be. I look forward to seeing Ewan McGregor return and Hayden! Hayden Christenson returning as Anakin/Darth Vader!!!

Vader returns in Disney+ Kenobi exclusive photo:

Gentle Sharptooth

• Sharplord
  • Member+
  • Cera
  • Captive of Grief
    • View Profile
I’ve seen Parts I-IV out of VI. So far the series has had its moments. The series hasn’t really felt like SW till Part IV.
My biggest issue is that scenes look low budget at times and like a bad fan film in YouTube.

Now for major spoilers…

Spoiler: ShowHide

In Part III we at last get a reunion between Kenobi and Vader, they duel at night on a desert rocky world. Bader literally roasts his old master a la Mustafar, and we learn that he desires Kenobi suffer greatly before perishing. The first viewing was moving, I grew up on the Prequels, so this reunion of Hayden Christenson and Ewan McGregor was to be fan service of mythic proportions. In the end it was good, but it retcons ANH and makes some things incoherent.

Young Leia is the new Baby Yoda. Kenobi takes care of her like Din does Grogu. Young Leia grew on me. I hated her in Part II, bossing Kenobi around, but in Parts III and IV she becomes more likable, especially when she thankx Ben for rescuing her by holding his hand.

Reva, the Inquistor played by Moses Ingram, is the first African Lady Sith character. She does a good job, but her motivations are still one dimensional, I am hope Parts V and VI will reveal why she is so zealous.

Tha series isn’t perfect. I for one think Star Wars is grandest as major budget trilogies. Granted they’ve spent 15 Million per episode, and yet it seems so low budget and back lot at times, unlike Book of Boba Fett.

My greatest peeve is none of John William’s score is used! No themes are used. There is no Imperial March for Vader, nor the Jedi Theme when Obi uses The Force like in Part IV keeping the water from flooding the hallway through glass. None of the new music registers, its like basic drums and tension music you’ll find on Apple Movie Maker!

So far my ratings per part:

Part I     5/10
Part II    7/10
Part III   8/10
Part IV   10/10

LittleDas75

• Member+
  • Petrie
  • The Gang of Five's Yellow Belly fan
    • View Profile
I hate this show. They did Obi Wan very dirty, their are so many massive retcons, Reva is a poorly written character, the writing is very atrocious, and it all looks so cheaply made. 0.5/10. It's The Last Jedi of Star Wars shows but somehow worse.

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Rations
    • View Profile
    • aabicus.com
I've been pretty unimpressed with the writing so far. MacGregor's acting is good, the worldbuilding is interesting and the planets are cool to look at, but the story doesn't make a lot of sense and the villain's choices are consistently baffling. I could write an essay on all the lucky breaks the characters get on either side to keep the plot limping along.

Gentle Sharptooth

• Sharplord
  • Member+
  • Cera
  • Captive of Grief
    • View Profile
Quote from: aabicus (LettuceBacon&Tomato) on June 11, 2022, 06:37:43 PM
Quote from: aabicus (LettuceBacon&Tomato) on June 11, 2022, 06:37:43 PM
I've been pretty unimpressed with the writing so far. MacGregor's acting is good, the worldbuilding is interesting and the planets are cool to look at, but the story doesn't make a lot of sense and the villain's choices are consistently baffling. I could write an essay on all the lucky breaks the characters get on either side to keep the plot limping along.

I agree the plot is anemic. Though SW usually can salvage itself with character driven archs. I think the problem us the period is focused on Kenobi and him watching over Luke and Leia, I wish he’d leave Tatooine for missions to help Ahsoka and other Jedi in peril post-Order 66. That General Kenobi is still fighting, that when things get too got in Tatooine, for the safety of Luke, he goes offworld to help other Jedi. Granted, that does make his “low profile” hard to keep. 

Gentle Sharptooth

• Sharplord
  • Member+
  • Cera
  • Captive of Grief
    • View Profile
Well Part V finally flushed out Reva’s motivations. It was a treat to see Anakin as a Padawan again.

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
    • Knowhere: A Geek Culture Fan Forum
I'm actually loving this show. Post Trauma Obi-wan is what I'm here for.

I don't get the hate for Reva. I thought she was a young hot head that was getting in way over her head to begin with, and so it was vindicating to see how right I was in this latest episode.
"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you." -Gandalf

F-14 Ace

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Vader was a BEAST in that latest episode!  Between him pulling the ship out of the air and ripping it apart with The Force, and him basically toying with Reva, that was awesome.  Also, I like how he broke the lightsaber in half and tossed it to her just to toy with her some more. 

Gentle Sharptooth

• Sharplord
  • Member+
  • Cera
  • Captive of Grief
    • View Profile
I loved see Anakin as Padawan again dueling Obi-Wan.
“You want to prove yourself too much, that is why you remain a Padawan.”

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Rations
    • View Profile
    • aabicus.com
Episode 5 was the best episode so far, but I can't help be confused at one of the core elements:

Spoiler: ShowHide
Obi-Wan turns himself in and convinces Reva to side with him, noting that "you can strike Vader down while he'll have eyes only for me." Perfectly reasonable, I'm on board so far.

But then she lets him go and he runs back to the rebels before Vader arrives. Why is she doing that? How is Obi-Wan supposed to distract Vader if he's not even there? Sure enough, when she tries to kill Vader while they're alone, he's more than ready to block her. I don't really see why she didn't leave Obi-Wan tied up in the room when it was the core element in their scheme having a chance of working.

F-14 Ace

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Obi Wan as he lifts a whole bunch of rocks into the air: I still have the high ground and now I'm gonna feed it to you!

Gentle Sharptooth

• Sharplord
  • Member+
  • Cera
  • Captive of Grief
    • View Profile
Obi Wan as he lifts a whole bunch of rocks into the air: I still have the high ground and now I'm gonna feed it to you!

Vader: You did not destroy Anakin Skywalker, I did.

So chilling and well said. We destroy ourselves ultimately.

F-14 Ace

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
It's an incredibly powerful scene that makes up for every shortcoming that the show had, IMO.  I enjoyed the show as a whole but it did have its faults.  Still, that one scene made it all worth it.  One thing to note is that it absolves Obi Wan of his guilt and grants him peace.  Obi Wan really did try his best for Anakin and it wasn't his fault that Anakin went down the path that he did.  It is only after Obi Wan finds peace within himself and lets go of his negative feelings that he is able to talk to Qui-Gon because he is now a true Jedi again.   

It adds a lot of context to some lines from the original trilogy.

"He's more machine now than man: twisted and evil." Obi Wan to Luke.

"Obi Wan once thought as you did." Darth Vader to Luke.

Obi Wan calls Vader "Darth" in A New Hope because he's accepted that Anakin is dead.