The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Game puzzles with solutions too obtuse to figure out on your own.

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
    • Knowhere: A Geek Culture Fan Forum
Ever played a game where you just can't figure out what to do, so you look it up? Then, when you discover the insanely obtuse solution, you're left speechless at your computer, thinking "How was I supposed to figure that out?" What are some game puzzle/level solutions so obtuse that there is no way a player could discover it on their own?

Forbidden Siren.
It has some deep moon logic adventure-game style. I think one character had to put a wet towel in a freezer, so that several chapters later another character could take the frozen towel, put a glass on top of it, and wait for the towel to melt to make the glass drop to distract a guard. There is nothing in the game that prompts you to do this, and yet if you don't, you will fail the mission where you have to distract that guard.
"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you." -Gandalf

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Recently I played a point and click game called Haunted. It was pretty funny, mostly because it was bad, haha. It has a very similar problem though in many of the levels, where the "solution" is so contrived that you wonder what the developers were thinking.

Sneak

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
I just love puzzle games! When I am stuck, I don't give up until i find the solution. Even if it takes days. Many puzzles I encountered had moon logic.

Is that some flash game, @Mumbling ? If so, I would like to check it out. :)

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
    • Knowhere: A Geek Culture Fan Forum
Not a flash game! But its on Steam for a few euros I think.
Ah, yes, Steam. A deep, rich well of enjoyable, lovable crap and the occasional diamond in the rough.
"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you." -Gandalf

aabicus (LettuceBacon&Tomato)

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Rations
    • View Profile
    • aabicus.com
The Trapped Trilogy was a series of iconic "Escape the Room" flashgames of the Newgrounds era, pretty much everyone played them back when those were all the rage. My brother and I would play through the new ones whenever they came out, because holy god the puzzles were too opaque for a single person to figure out. Highlights included setting a prosthetic finger on fire to make a lockpick, dipping a teddy bear in grease to complete an electrical circuit, and finding a secret cubby by pricking a hole in a painting, hanging the painting over a lamp using a horseshoe, and checking where the pinprick of light appears on the opposite wall.

Somehow we figured all these out, but finally met our match at the point you needed to glue a banana to a rope, stab the banana with a pocketknife, catch a fish with this 'makeshift fishing pole', and then trade the fish for a blowtorch. I don't know why we never thought to do that...
« Last Edit: April 21, 2022, 04:11:11 PM by aabicus (LettuceBacon&Tomato) »