The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Ruby

Noname · 85 · 14786

2007excalibur2007

• Member+
  • Petrie
    • View Profile
Quote from: landbeforetimelover,Dec 1 2009 on  01:54 PM
Always stating the obvious and restating things that don't need to be restated.
I.. kinda like her because of that. Makes her somewhat unique, IMO. :p

It's kinda like her version of Ducky's "yep yep yep". :lol

Pikkutassu

• Spike
    • View Profile
Quote from: Rat_lady7,Dec 1 2009 on  12:24 AM
Quote from: Pikkutassu,Nov 29 2009 on  02:53 PM
Quote from: Mumbling,Nov 29 2009 on  03:34 PM
I don't like ruby.
Me neither.. doesn't fit to the gang. Just a bad idea from that new female director.
Can you guys say what you don't like about Ruby?

I don't mean to nag you guys, I'm just curious why you have a dislike of her. What is it? Her looks? Personality, quirks? What?
She looks like an imaginary creature with it's pink colour. And she's like an adult.

Paradise Bird

• Petrie
    • View Profile
    • http://sporeleaf.forumotion.net/creators-hall-f7/post-your-dinos-here-
I don't mind Ruby but she is of course a bit unnatural. While I wish she has a back story, for a personality like hers it would be difficult. The TV series has made it even more difficult for a good sequel and doing a back story for Ruby would be the best idea. One thing for sure is that they could have changed Ruby's species and give her a more natural personality.
You know Ruby does not have to be a dinosaur there were other creatures during the times of the dinosaurs. She could have been Tickles species but no.

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
Ruby was not the first character of unusual colors in LBT though. The sudden love for rose colored dinosaurs already showed with Tria and Tricia (two characters I find more difficult than Ruby to integrate into the LBT universe because of all the unanswered questions about Cera's original family). The coloring of Mo was that of a freaked out Pokemon and thinking of odd colored dinosaurs, what was the name of that purple colored sharptooth again... Barney? Oh my god no, it was Chomper!!! :lol
One thing that I kind of like about Ruby is that with a little bit of fantasy she may actually be the answer to some questions which the sequels left unanswered. For example the question why Chomper could talk just fine in LBT 5 while all the contact with leafeater language speakers we knew about were a few hours after his hatching. If perhaps he got to know Ruby shortly afterwards she may have worked as a teacher (and in doing that may have acquired some of her repetitive speaking patterns).
Her having spend most of her life in the Mysterious Beyond and as a member of a species that may be so much of a subject to prejudices (omnivores) that she may have developed less prejudices of her own having recognized the stupidity of the same (the later point being one that was not given for Ali) may both contribute to her bonus in experience and knowledge.  
But still she is not some kind of perfect know it all. We do see her get annoyed if the interests of others get in the way of her own interests and she has an occasional melancholic trait about being separated from her family (by the way one of the relatively few intact families we ever saw in LBT) which I think would have been fitting for some other LBT characters as well.
When I first heard about Ruby I expected a character that was created purely as a common trick to reawaken interest in a show by just spawning a new character. To some degree this may indeed be the case with Ruby, but in my opinion they did take good care to really make her a character to fill out some of the existing gaps rather than creating just a new character for the sake of a new name in the show.

JitteryDragon

• Petrie
    • View Profile
Well, I kinda liked Ruby. She's different in personality, and I like that sort of thing... and I thought they did cover quite a bit regarding her character (such as with The Star Day Celebration and Return to Hanging Rock), considering how many limitations they had with the show. The only thing I don't like is the way she looks... she looks nothing like an Oviraptor. She should've been a Velociraptor (The feathery little ones, not a Utahraptor).

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://bluedramon.deviantart.com
I thought she resembled an oviraptor pretty well. Not perfect (then again none of the LBT characters perfectly resemble the species they are supposed to be far as I know) but well enough that it isn't too difficult to guess what her species is.

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
She looked close enough to me last time I checked:

We don't know anything certain about the colors of dinosaurs. Along with the discovery of feathers on dinosaur came also theories that some species may have been colored quite differently from the way they had always been pictured. Even among living lizards and amphibians (not to mention birds) there are some kinds which are rather colorful.
Personally I like the choice of species. An omnivore is something new (though they haven't really exploited the fact that she is an omnivore in their plots so far) while a velociraptor would have been "just another sharptooth".
I admit I am a bit biased against raptors myself.

PS: I am going to move the posts discussing Ruby to the Ruby thread in the character discussion section soon.

Cancerian Tiger

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I personally have nothin' against Ruby.  I like her, but I'm not as fond of her as I am of the original Gang of Littlefoot, Cera, Ducky, Petrie, and Spike.  It feels like havin' the same circle of friends for many years, and then all of a sudden a newcomer joins the group.  It takes awhile to get over the awkwardness and see him or her as a part of the group :yes.  Still, I like Ruby, and I don't particularly care for the negativity that has been expressed simply based on the fact that she is different, but each to his or her own I guess.  I find that I can relate to Ruby 'cuz we're both unique.  She almost reminds me of a female with Guido's consciousness, and Guido is a character I share a lot of similarities with :yes.  I was always known as "the weird kid" throughout my childhood, and I think Ruby is given that label by many LBT fans, so I see a good amount of myself in this character, but I'm still very much a blend of Cera and Ducky :lol.

Noname

• The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://z6.invisionfree.com/Fantasy_RP_Board/index.php?act=idx
Ruby is also the first "core" character to have feather and to be able to run really fast. Hmm... she can't really fight, though. Still, no one expects her to.

Ptyra

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
    • http://z8.invisionfree.com/The_Valley/index.php?
I really don't know how to feel about Ruby. I like her, but I don't like her. It's kind of hard for me to write her dialoge in my fanfictions. I find her repeating of a lot of stuff annoying, though.

"Those treestars that aren't yours aren't yours!"

Noname

• The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I know. It is more annoying to me than it is endearing. Ruby isn't like Ducky at ALL in that way.  :DD

Dima02

• Petrie
    • View Profile
I though Ruby was a really nice new character in the gang. She's nice and friendly, and she brings realistic personalities and abilities that no one else in the gang has. For example, she is skilled at telling stories, which no one else in the gang seems to be good at. Also, she has a LOT of potential. Because much of her history and character is still a mystery, the makers of LBT can shape her personality into a personality they need for a particular movie. She can lead to some new adventures (such as "The Return to Hanging Rock" and "The Spooky Nighttime Adventure", and she adds a new personality to the gang.  :lol

Neither Jychara or I liked Ruby at first, but we're both young (13 and 14), and we're both open-minded. Once we really got to familiarize with Ruby, we both started to like her.

Noname

• The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
My only wish about Ruby is that we got to learn more about her. Her story seems very incomplete, as if a new season would have explained her background more, how she got to know Chomper, and why Chomper's parents didn't try to eat her and her family on the spot. And why they would trust their only son to the care of a "fast-runner."

Bruton the Iguanodon

Heh, this morning I told my Dad about Ruby while on the way to school (he's only familiar w/ the early films) and he was like, "What's she? The dinosaur version of Britney Spears?" And I laughed cause at the time the series was made Britney Spears was goin crazy and shavin' her head and whatnot.

Bruton the Iguanodon

But anyways I really think she's great. When I first saw the series on TV in April 2007 and I saw she and Chomper had been added to the gang I was disapointed the new girl in the gang wasn't Ali, but she's grown on me. She kind, smart, and best of all, not annoying!  :D I really like both her and Chomper---they were great additions to the series, which was for the most part bad. I was angry that the adults also blamed her and Chomper in "The Hidden Canyon" when they weren't a part of the gang's "getting high on fruit" party (although I thought it actually sounded like fun...if I were an Iguanodon living in the great valley I would have joined in their little party and ate to my heart's content!  :D )

Oh, and her singing voice is soooooo much better then Britney Spears'!  :lol  (See my post above to understand the joke)

Littlefoot Fan 93

• Spike
    • View Profile
Has anyone noticed besides myself that Ruby is the most feathered, non bird-like, dinosaur that we have seen in film and t.v.? She easily outdoes those male raptors in Jurassic Park III for sure, for far less effort and cost! How is Universal going to explain this? :lol

LoyfeCycleProtector

• Petrie
    • View Profile
I like Ruby a lot, but I'll admit they could have played with her role as the responsible one a bit more. One thing I'd have like to have seen was an episode that shows the sacrafices she makes to her free time and personal enjoyment to take care of Chomper. It can't be easy taking care of another kid all by yourself at her age, and to see how hard the job can be for her would have made for some good stories.
 I think they did touch on her sacrafices a little bit where they show how she's had to live away from her family to maintain her obligations, but I can't think of anything big other than that. For me, the angle of her being a young girl with a powerful sense of responsibility and sacrafice is the most interesting way to depict her, and that they could have explored that part of her character more.

The jewelstone queen

• just call me Jewel ; D
  • Spike
  • I'm just an artist :0
    • View Profile
    • Youtube channel (I animate stuff, they old)
At first, I didn't know much about Ruby, although, having watched  the first two episodes, I immediately fell in love with her. She holds this personality that is unique from all the others.

Her way of speaking is a bit annoying at time, but i have excepted that that is the way she is.

After all, she was the reason I came back to this franchise. I fell out of it a while ago, but when I found out about Ruby, I was hooked.  :smile
I'm currently writing an lbt fanfic about Littlefoot and Ruby, it's a little cringy at first. Go check it out if you're interested! FANFICTION.NET- https://www.fanfiction.net/s/14063661/1/The-Land-Before-time-Unbearable
OR RIGHT HERE ON THE WEBSITE- https://www.gangoffive.net/index.php?topic=17556.0

Gentle Sharptooth

• Sharplord
  • Member+
  • Cera
  • Captive of Grief
    • View Profile
Ruby definitely adds more girl power to the Gang. Ducky embodies the innocence and trusting one, Cera the tough and tomboy one, and Ruby the thinker and experimenter one.

“The Past is Gone..” -Dream On, Aerosmith