The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Member Awards

Petrie. · 65 · 7821

Petrie.

• Hatchling
  • It's good to be the king!
    • View Profile
I had saw another board just successfully finish up a member awards banquet of sorts for the members of the board, to show appreciation and continued support and discussions.  I thought it was a good idea and decided to bring it here: if we were to do a similar thing, would you take part in voting for members for specific awards?

Nothing is in stone yet.  Some ideas Malte and I are thinking of:

Friendliest Member
Most Helpful
Most Artistic
Most Active Member

I'm sure we can come up with more.

Another thing is not to just win the award, but also some sort of commemorative banner to go along with it that can be posted in signatures for as long as you choose.  I wouldn't mind helping in making these but someone with Photoshop experience would especially be helpful with this.

Post your thoughts.

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
Generally I like the idea of awards that may motivate members. I sure hope that they wouldn't lead to any kind of competitive thinking or the creating of a "two class society" within this community. But I expect we are mature enough to regard such awards with better feelings than envy once they are given out.
As these awards would be given out based on the votes of the community there wouldn't be any reason for harsh feelings I suppose. I suggest that votes for a member for a particular rank should include a sentence or two to explain why one things that a particular member deserves the award in question best.

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
I like to think we are mature enough, as well.  It also provides new members with
1) Incentive and motivation to be good people.
2) information as to who to ask for specific questions.

It adds a little humor element to the page, if used relatively lightly.

We're all better at certain things, and if our awards reflect that, it could be easy for new member to know how to turn to.
Besides, funky banners are always amusing :DD

I'd offer to "attempt" to draw, but
- I can't draw  :lol
- I have too many projects going right now, as it is, including a report for school, due tomorrow *checks his watch and jumps a few inches*  :p

Anywho, the idea certainly has merit.

Here are some other potential awards I thought of while I was sitting here:

-Most dedicated to the Gang of Five
- Posts the funniest comments
- most typos in one post  :slap
- "Longest post" award
- "Shortest posts" award
- The "Block text" award, for people who write long posts without paragraphs  :lol
- Specific character experts (aka the Littlefoot expert, the Cera expert, the Ducky expert, etc) for those who know everything about a certain character
- along the same line, specific movie experts - people who know a specific LBT film exceptionally well
- Supreme LBT Enthusiast (the person who seems to know everything in every film).
- The Debater award (goes to the people who like to consistantly debate various topics)
- Coolest avatar
- Best storyteller / fanfic writer
- biggest LBT merchandise collection

I like the idea of having members vote for who gets the award.

Petrie.

• Hatchling
    • View Profile
I would think if there are enough awards that all active participating members should be able to get at least one of them so there would be no such thing as a "two class society".

Some good ones there action.  I think what we will need to do is weed out ones where there is a clear victor (that last one comes to mind  :lol ) so it doesn't appear an award is created simply to give to someone because they're the only one it really applies to.

I would think we all deserve a "dedicated to the Gang of Five" award since if we weren't, we wouldn't keep coming back to post, and this place would've been gone a long time ago.

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Absolutely, RR.  That was the result of a brainstorming session, and I'll let you know of anything else I come up with  :DD

Mirumoto_Kenjiro

• Cera
    • View Profile
I'm up to the idea!

I myself won a 2005 RPer's Award in another forum I joined around the same time I joined this one.  It was the first time the Awards started and it was by the admin.  I think this year will be decided by member votes.

Petrie.

• Hatchling
    • View Profile
Everyone's input would be appreciated.  ;)  (that goes for those who haven't said anything yet)  It'll need to be a community effort if it goes anywhere.

Littlefoot1616

• The Circle
  • Cera
  • The game is on; so let's play!
    • View Profile
Erm...im not too sure. :unsure: The idea sounds cool and I'm sure the intent will be pure and innocent but I can see things possibly going a bit sour...especially if members end up NOT getting anything...I know it sounds petty but I'd hate to think that something so trivial could form a divide between members. :( If everyone's cool with it then so am I coz if you've given your concent then you can't complain. :) I'd wait and get more people's opinions first ;)

Petrie.

• Hatchling
    • View Profile
^ You're most certainly not alone when thinking of that.  Generally, I figured we could come up with enough things so that there would be a small chance that active members would get nothing.

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
...especially if members end up NOT getting anything...I know it sounds petty but I'd hate to think that something so trivial could form a divide between members

I hope not either.  The simplest way to avoid this, assuming we do implement the award system, is to make, as RR stated, a large variety of light-hearted awards.  On some forums, I wouldn't suggest any kind of award system, due to the immaturity and intense competition involved among members.  Here, it appears that members are willing to work together and give credit and support to each other.  In such a situation, it appears that relatively light, relaxed awards could be a welcome addition to the forums.

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I can see things possibly going a bit sour...especially if members end up NOT getting anything.
That's pretty much what I meant when I was talking about when I spoke of the "two class society" within this community. Then again it would be sort of pathetic if everyone would just pat everyone one the shoulder and everyone would be given an award for the exclusive fact that we all like each other so very much. I don't think it would be a good thing to just hand out say a "nicest forum member" award to anyone who got no vote for any other kind of award. After all the awards are meant to be well... an award for some kind of positive action on the behalf of this board.
Therefore my earlier suggestion that any vote for any particular award for a person should be accompanied by one or two sentences on why a particular member voted for a particular award be given to a particular member in particular ;)
Maybe those lines ought to be published along with the awards (maybe such lines would end up being more rewarding than any kind of fancy image one may attach to future posts) so people would see WHY somebody else got a special award? The lines need not necessarily be published along with the names of those who wrote them unless we want this to be an open ballot. Personally I wouldn't have a problem with an open ballot, but I understand that many people may think different about this.
Finally we still don't know if people in the GOF want to have these awards. So far the following five members members have expressed their thoughts on it:
Roger Rabit
Action 9000
Mirumoto_Kenjiro
Littlefoot-1616
Malte279
Some very important members of this community haven't yet given their opinion yet. What do you think everyone?

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I think its a great idea. I'm sure we could think of enough awards so that everyone gets something.
Nick
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

Petrie.

• Hatchling
    • View Profile
Voting

Voting will be done through PM, no emails.  All votes will go to me either to this account, or to "Admin" and I'll keep tally.  Nobody else will see the votes, only me, and accordingly, I will not be voting.  With your vote, a short explanation as to why you chose the person is necessary otherwise your vote is null.  Explanations will be posted when the winners are announced.

Pictures

Awards will have a corresponding banner to go along with it.  The banner is yours to keep and use at will.  (There is no word yet on who will be creating the banners.)

Categories

Nothing has been finalized for official categories but what has been posted thus far in the topics are good ideas and will likely be used.

Tiebreakers

I'm still thinking about this one.  I can either cast the deciding vote in this instance, or I can post a message announcing a tiebreaker between the finalists and then all the members would have to choose one or the other.  If a tie occured again, then I would break it.

What if you can't decide?

Well, in that case, at least tell me that you're not certain.  Before the award winners are announced, if you still "owe" a vote per se, you can PM me and say that you will not be voting, but at least you'll be given the time to think it over if you can't come up with a clear cut answer the first time around.

Can you vote for yourself?

Short answer: preferrably no.  Reason why?  Many could do that, but I can't do that (I'm not voting since I keeping the tallies) so already its not a open-ended, honest, fair voting system if you can vote for yourself.  Best thing to do is if you think you really deserve something, is to tell me you can't make up your mind, and give yourself more time to think about who else besides you has a chance at getting the award.

Will the names be published besides the reasons for giving a vote?

Nope.  You'll know who you are, but unless someone else tells you their comments, I won't give them out.

Yes votes (do the awards)

RogerRabbit
Malte279
Nick22
action9000

Maybe votes (unsure)

Littlefoot1616

Have not said anything (and MUST otherwise we are not doing this)

Threehorn
pokeplayer984
Cyberlizard
F-14 Ace
Littlefoot Fan

I will be sending PM's out to those who have lost touch recently to see if they wish to return and take part since they are part of our history too.

Stitch

• Ducky
    • View Profile
This sounds very cool.  I say go for it.

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I'm very sorry Stitch that for you were forgotten in that list above, for you are DEFINITELY among those without whose consent the awarding business wouldn't be started. Sorry about the incomplete list of names mate  :)

Threehorn

• The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.geocities.com/Digi_Earth
sounds a vaild idea, this would bring interest to the fourm and maybe new members once hearing about this :)

I say yes to it. :)

-Threehorn

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
What does your sister think of it Threhorn? I'd like tria's take on this too. :)
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

Petrie.

• Hatchling
    • View Profile
Yes votes

RogerRabbit/Admin
Malte279
Nick22
action9000
Mirumoto_Kenjiro
Threehorn
Stitch (can't believe I forgot you...so sorry)

Maybe votes (unsure)

Littlefoot1616

Haven't got an opinion from

Littlefoot Fan
Cyberlizard
F-14 Ace
pokeplayer984
WeirdRaptor (PM)
New Order (PM)
Jojo the Incredible (PM)
Intrepid (PM)

Petrie.

• Hatchling
    • View Profile
Wayne I'm not certain member awards would bring new visitors.  Its possible, but usually those that are more established and well-known around the forum are going to receive votes because we know about them.

Littlefoot Fan

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Sounds like a fun idea! :lol:

I can't help but feel a little bit of doubt towards it though :unsure: