The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

HotelValleyfornia

• Shark took my leg, brah!
  • Member+
  • Petrie
  • All aboard the Hyperfixation Express!
    • View Profile
Howdy fellow Ducky enjoyer :duckyhappy

What do you know about 6teen (my brand, lol) and Total Drama? :smile
Current hyperfixation: Total Drama

Yacht life! :DD

Enchanted-Valley96

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Do you like Black and White movies?

aabicus (LettuceBacon&Tomato)

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Rations
    • View Profile
    • aabicus.com
What do you think of 80s Music?

I love 80's music! My parents had tons of 80's CDs so I heard it constantly at home. My favorites songs from the 80's are probably 'Opportunities' and 'Rent' by Pet Shop Boys, 'Shake the Disease' by Depeche Mode, and 'Whisper to a Scream' by The Icicle Works. (Though you can take almost anything by those bands from the era, they're just so good)

Have you ever watched Dink the little dinosaur?

Haha I watched the entire series as a kid! My brother would actually have debates on whether Dink or LBT was better, he preferred Dink and I liked LBT. (His main argument was that Dink was a TV show. If only the LBT TV show existed at the time  :p ) Dink was very good, though I can't say anything particularly stands out and I can see why history's mostly forgotten it. Also Scat was almost as annoying as Petrie

Howdy fellow Ducky enjoyer :duckyhappy

What do you know about 6teen (my brand, lol) and Total Drama? :smile

I haven't seen them myself, but there was a Gang of Five user named MrDrake who loved Total Drama. He was an avid story-writer and roleplayer in the RP section and we used to chat on Skype all the time. He went full radio-silent one day and we never heard from him again, I have no clue what happened to him but I hope he's doing well wherever he is. (I actually made a video game concluding his final unfinished story, starring his OC Hailey. TBH I miss him a lot and check his socials occasionally to see if he reappears.)

Do you like Black and White movies?

Some of my favorite films are from the B&W era, including my favorite film of all time 12 Angry Men. Just a masterclass in telling a compelling story with minimal props, settings, and just a handful of riveting performances. Other B&W films I enjoy are High Noon, Some Like It Hot, The Day the Earth Stood Still, Dr. Strangelove, and the original Twilight Zone series with Rod Serling.

(Ironically, I really didn't enjoy Casablanca when I first saw it in film class because I was far more invested in the subplot regarding Viktor Lazlo and the secret papers. I couldn't fathom why there was so much screentime ignoring the Allies securing a piece of intel that could help win the war. When the film was over, I asked the other students in bewilderment why the story kept focusing on Rick and Elsa instead of 'the main plot,' before the class helpfully informed me that their romance was the main plot! It was one of the earliest signs I was aromantic, haha)

Enchanted-Valley96

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Are there any cartoons you despise?

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Rations
    • View Profile
    • aabicus.com
Man, I’ve spent a few days trying to come up with something, but I have a very high tolerance for weak animation. Some of the worst animated media are still intensely enjoyable, even if it’s a train wreck on the eyeballs for plot (the animated Titanic trilogy), craft (CG-I Zelda intros), tastelessness (Judas & Jesus) or artstyle reasons (Ugly Americans). One of my favorite movies is Secret Of NIMH 2: Timmy to the Rescue just because it fails in literally every aspect and should never have been made. You also have to remember that animation is intensely time-consuming, so when something doesn’t feel animated as well as it should be, I’m likely to give them a pass if the production team was small (Aero-Troopers: The Nemeclous Cloud) or especially a single person (the Rainbow Dash Presents webseries.)

And then there are lots of poorly-animated media that overcome their shortcomings by embracing them (Sealab 2021 or Choose Your Own Adventure: The Abominable Snowman are not well-animated media, but they overcome their weaknesses through earnest writing or a memorable core gimmick.) There’s a reason animation classes all start with “your current artistic skill level is good enough for animation, no matter how well you can draw.”

Now, I must confess that my forgiving taste does not extend to 3D animation, so it’s far more likely I’ll abandon a poorly-animated 3D snoozefest, especially if its main crime is being boring rather than laughably bad. So I think I’d have to give Father of the Pride the title of my personal least-favorite animated thing. Awful writing, awful characters, awful premise, 12½ episodes were far too many.

Update: Actually, I’d completely forgotten about it, but I was definitely not a fan of Happy Tree Friends. I guess the exact same joke, over and over, relying on nothing but grossout humor and with no variation or meaningful cast characterization, got pretty tiring after a while. It felt like the sort of thing that only took off because people who thought animations are only for kids got offended. I was also the only person in my friend group who didn’t like Steven Universe, mostly because the main character aggravated me to no end, the songs felt forgettable, most of the side characters were unmemorable, the plots were paper-thin and the episode runtimes were too short to actually get into any meaningful storylines. Much like how Dear Evan Hansen subsisted entirely on a wave of fervor looking for “the next Hamilton” and nothing to do with any actual artistic merits of its own, I feel like Steven Universe exploded because everyone collectively decided it was “the next My Little Pony:Friendship is Magic” despite it lacking most of the things that made FiM so groundbreaking. I know everyone talks shit on Steven Universe nowadays, but I wasn’t a fan from the very beginning, for what little that’s worth.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2022, 01:42:20 PM by aabicus (LettuceBacon&Tomato) »

Enchanted-Valley96

• Ducky
    • View Profile
What do you think of social media in its current form?
« Last Edit: July 06, 2022, 01:41:32 PM by Enchanted-Valley96 »

ManOfWar GT

• Spike
  • He/him
    • View Profile
What's the biggest city you been to?

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Rations
    • View Profile
    • aabicus.com
delete, double post
« Last Edit: July 20, 2022, 02:22:25 PM by aabicus (LettuceBacon&Tomato) »

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Rations
    • View Profile
    • aabicus.com
What do you think of social media in its current form?

Not a fan. I can't help but feel it mostly brings out the worst in people, and leads to increased tribalism as people surround themselves in bubbles that reinforce their pre-existing world views. I have an account on most social medias, but I don't really use or check them because I have very little to say and I find my mental health declining whenever I read other people's posts.

The two exceptions are YouTube and reddit, which I like because of their anonymity. Nobody knows who I am, and nobody in the comment section cares about the usernames, they're just having an honest conversation with random internet people. On YouTube I have a channel dedicated to gaming walkthroughs and I appreciate that my audience has no clue who I am in real life. And on reddit, I appreciate that there's no system ensuring I only see content by people I already agree with. Every time I post on reddit, the viewers have no clue who I am and will happily downvote me if my take sucks, so it keeps me objective and I can never let my guard down and succumb to delivering low-qualty content that only supportive viewers will see and upvote nonetheless.

What's the biggest city you been to?

Not the most exciting answer, but New York City. I visited in 2014 to see the ball drop on New Years, and I also briefly visited as a kid during a tour of Civil War battlegrounds. (Obviously there were no battles that high north, but we started high and traveled low until we reached the far south). I've been to about a dozen different countries across the planet, but I never visited any of the cities on Wikipedia's list that are larger than New York City.

Do you like fast food?

I gave up fast food a few years ago. Every year, my New Year's resolution is to give up some unhealthy food, and by this point I've weaned myself off of alcohol, caffeinated drinks, sugar drinks, candy, fried food, beef, and this year I'm slowly giving up pig products. (It hasn't been easy, I miss my bacon). The rise in "impossible" plant-based meats has been a godsend, the tech has finally advanced to the point these meats are very good and almost indistinguishable from the real thing.

The one exception is Panda Express, which I will occasionally visit for a special occasion. Orange Chicken is my favorite food of all time, and if you get the mixed vegetables for a side it's not a terribly unhealthy meal so long as it's eaten in extreme moderation.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2022, 02:22:32 PM by aabicus (LettuceBacon&Tomato) »

Enchanted-Valley96

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Twitter or Facebook, which one is worse from your perspective?

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Rations
    • View Profile
    • aabicus.com
Twitter or Facebook, which one is worse from your perspective?

Definitely Twitter, for a couple different reasons:

1) The brevity forces people to constrain what they say, often leading to missing nuance and an increased chance people misunderstand what they say. It's gotten a bit better since they doubled the character count, but I've never seen as many overly-simplistic ignorant takes on Facebook that very easily rile up everyone who reads it.

2) Their comment algorithm is garbage, it's always the worst comments at the very top. Every time I click on a tweet (on any topic, from any source, of any level of popularity) and scroll down, I'm instantly presented with hurtful/butthurt/gotcha comments from rude people who make me lose a little more faith in humanity. Facebook comments, on the other hand, are usually lighthearted or generally happy, if a bit boomer-oriented, unless you seek out inflammatory content like politics.

3) Their UI is terrible. Why does it only show you the first 4 comments of a thread before silently transitioning you back into showing random tweets having nothing to do with what you were just reading? Every time I get started reading a twitter thread, I feel like I'm having a stroke when suddenly none of the comments are related or sensibly cohering with each other. And if you click the blue-on-blue unhighlighted "See more" button, Twitter grants you two more comments before instantly dragging you out of the thread again. I know you want to inflate your impressions, Twitter, but stop disrupting my reading experience to do it. Facebook actually lets you read the whole comment section of the thing you're on without constant interruption.

4) The "Trending" tab is a cesspit of angry, political, and irrelevant topics, never anything I actually care about. From celebrity drama to flamebait political taglines to (worst of all) billionaire gossip. And then if you actually click one, all you see is 500 tweets going "anyone who uses this hashtag is an idiot! Stop the astroturfing!" I mean, Jesus, is every side on Twitter just mad about everything all the time?

5) Everytime I login I have one unread notification. If I click it, it's a completely random tweet that Twitter has decided to show me. It's never someone I'm following, or a topic I care about, and often there isn't even enough context for me to understand what they're talking about, like Twitter's trying to bait me to click it to find out what they're trying to say. I usually just block the person instead. Show me something I remotely care about (and maybe stop abusing the concept of a "notification") and we'll see, Twitter.

Facebook doesn't have most of these problems, though it's still a terrible site and I don't think I've logged in for over a decade. But Twitter is easily my least-favorite website on the planet, and I hate that everyone tells me I should be marketing myself on there. I'm well aware I should be, but it's such a negative and pessimistic cesspool of ignorant vitriol because every single design choice was optimized to shove your face in the worst content the site has to offer.

Enchanted-Valley96

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Do you have an early 2000s memory?

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Rations
    • View Profile
    • aabicus.com
I actually remember the Stroke of the New Millenium! I was a bratty little tyke, and my parents invited a bunch of their old college friends over to form a massive bonfire and burn a bunch of old furniture/paperwork/possessions to symbolize the end of the old millenia and the shedding of unwantted baggage. For whatever reason everyone was also wearing loincloths and covered in warpaint, because my parents never do weird stuff halfway. (In hindsight I don't think we were legally allowed to do this sort of thing in our backyard, but we got away with it!) I remember I burned some of my old school binders, though they had me take the notes out first in case I'd want to reuse them in high school. Then after midnight I think everyone jumped in the neighbor's pool to "cleanse the old millenium from our bodies"? Honestly, the more I'm remembering and reciting that night, the more bizarre I'm realizing it was.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2022, 06:07:18 AM by aabicus (LettuceBacon&Tomato) »

Enchanted-Valley96

• Ducky
    • View Profile
What do you think of the Rio films?

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Rations
    • View Profile
    • aabicus.com

Enchanted-Valley96

• Ducky
    • View Profile
They look visually nice but the plots are not ground breaking. The generic hero vs villain storyline.

Favourite Disney movie?

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Rations
    • View Profile
    • aabicus.com
Probably Hunchback of Notre Dame. Such a dark story, but with amazing music and a script that touches on very adult themes for a Disney movie, plus Frollo is a very complicated villain. It also pioneered new animation techniques regarding flames (such as Esmeralda dancing in the fireplace, or the burning church in the finale) that were just incredible to see as a kid.

Compsognathus

• Member+
  • Petrie
    • View Profile

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Rations
    • View Profile
    • aabicus.com
Haha I love Zootopia. You can honestly look at the furry fandom pre- and post-zootopia and see a huge thrust towards furry normalization in common culture, arguably the largest one since Disney’s Robin Hood. Hilarious the same animation studio did it twice.

That being said, I could write literally a 5-page essay on why the line in the end where Nick is mentioned to be the first fox cop is absolutely awful on every level and breaks everything the movie and script was trying to say, symbolize, and add meaning to, on both an in-universe, textual, and real-world-historical level. The whole movie would literally be better if that line was cut with nothing replacing it. I care way more about this than I should, and I’m happy to go into detail if anyone wants, but I don’t want to talk your ear off if nobody cares. Just let me know if you want the rant.