The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

The My Little Pony - Friendship is Magic Thread

The Chronicler

• Bionicle fan of GoF
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
A couple more videos showing gameplay content of the upcoming Maretime Bay Adventure video game:
https://www.equestriadaily.com/2022/05/mini-games-and-character-showcase-for.html
https://www.equestriadaily.com/2022/05/sunny-rollerblading-video-in-maretime.html

And since it's Thursday, that means it's time for this week's Tell Your Tale episode:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0gDX-XJK1Ck

Spoiler: ShowHide
While not quite among my favorites, I do appreciate how they acknowledge that Izzy doesn't really have any unicorn friends, even now with all the other friends she has made. While I was amused by the joke of confusing the unicorn holiday of T.U.E.S. Day with Tuesday and everyone pointing out that it's actually Thursday, I would still like to know what the acronym of that holiday actually stands for (Edit: After rewatching the episode, I now know that it stands for "The Unicorn Expression of Sparkle" Day.). Also amusing was that pony-style Transformers movie as a neat reference between Hasbro properties. Ultimately, I'm glad that Sunny was honest with Izzy about she and the others not being aware of that unicorn holiday as they are still learning about each other (and it was nice to see Sunny using her dad's journal as a reference book to figure that out). It seems despite Izzy's creative and somewhat crazy methods (I mean, really, an imaginary friend built out of household junk?), this episode could be another example of how this show presents realistic morals and solutions that I always appreciate seeing.

Also, we now have a full trailer of the Make Your Mark special that'll be out in two weeks:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k1WT6dDw3WE

And if you don't mind too many spoilers, here's a full synopsis of the Make Your Mark special:
https://www.equestriadaily.com/2022/05/full-synopsis-for-my-little-pony-make.html
« Last Edit: May 12, 2022, 08:55:06 PM by The Chronicler »

"I have a right to collect anything I want. It's just junk anyway."
- Berix

My first fanfiction: Quest for the Energy Stones
My unfinished and canceled second fanfiction: Quest for the Mask of Life
My currently ongoing fanfiction series: LEGO Equestria Girls

The Chronicler

• Bionicle fan of GoF
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
We also now have a three-minute preview clip from the Make Your Mark special:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AktlwpiRbVw

Now that we have a good idea of what to expect, I'm definitely looking forward to watching that 44-minute special, once it's available less than two weeks from now.

- Berix

The Chronicler

• Bionicle fan of GoF
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
First off, here's a one page preview of the first issue of the new MLP G5 comic series (the full comic will officially release on the 25th, next Wednesday):
https://www.equestriadaily.com/2022/05/one-page-preview-for-my-little-pony-g5.html

And here's this week's Tell Your Tale new episode:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9vyTkm4DOug

I found this to be a relatively good episode. Ten episodes into the series and it's only the second time that Sunny is the focus character, but while it's nice the others have had plenty of attention, not even the lead main character should be left forgotten for too long. Anyway, it seems all five of the main ponies own and use smartphones by this point, though some (like Sunny) are apparently still figuring out how to properly use them. While it was nice to see Sunny and Izzy traveling together again, I do wonder why Izzy was hauling that wagon full of rocks in the first place, since she admitted that she had forgotten about Sunny's plans for all of them to go on a hike. And I'll admit, I had a good laugh at that part with the Pac-Man sound effects when everyone was running around through the woods.

Just a reminder, the first of the new comics will be out on the 25th, the Make Your Mark 44-minute special will be available on Netflix on the 26th, and the Maretime Bay Adventure video game will be officially released on the 27th, so it seems there will be a whole bunch of new stuff coming out next week.

- Berix

The Chronicler

• Bionicle fan of GoF
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Since I'm anticipating next week will be rather busy, I'll just get some of this most recent stuff out there right now.

Issue 4 of the new comic series has been revealed, expected to come out in August, and based on the synopsis, it seems this will be its own story and implies the first story arc will be covered in just the first three issues.
https://www.equestriadaily.com/2022/05/my-little-pony-generation-5-4.html

And we now have a 4-minute clip from the Make Your Mark special that reveals more about the conflict:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c_zkjcClYhQ

- Berix

The Chronicler

• Bionicle fan of GoF
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
An extended preview of the new comic coming out tomorrow:
https://www.equestriadaily.com/2022/05/extended-preview-for-my-little-pony-g5.html

And a one more preview clip (this one only half a minute) from the Make Your Mark special coming out on Thursday:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZu0hVLXmyU

- Berix

aabicus (LettuceBacon&Tomato)

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Rations
    • View Profile
    • aabicus.com
The lipsync is abysmal, but otherwise the animation's not that bad. New voice actors are doing fine, was curious whether they could live up to the celebrity cast from the opening movie. Glad the plots are more serious, slice-of-life is easy enough to fill in the gaps around the narrative. Wing designs are weird, Zip's look like they're made of plastic and don't have the proper ambient occlusion. Highlighter-colored villain pony needs her neon toned down, she doesn't fit the pastel fur tones of the other ponies.

In general I'm not sure I'm gonna stick around for Gen5 to the degree I did Gen4, but I'm pleased its not a dumpster fire, it actually looks to be a solid-enough show
« Last Edit: May 24, 2022, 08:26:36 PM by aabicus (LettuceBacon&Tomato) »

f-22 "raptor" ace

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile

The Chronicler

• Bionicle fan of GoF
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
I'll start off this post with my comments on the Make Your Mark special. I was considering including a summary for those who are unable to watch it (like I used to do with every new episode of G4), but it just seems like too much effort for me, so I'll try to limit myself to my thoughts and observations of anything I considered significant.

So it seems much of the character focus in this special is on Zipp, not just on her trying to figure out why magic has become rather faulty recently, but also dealing with pressure from her mother to return to Zephyr Heights for royal duties. Even so, the other main ponies have their own moments of interest, such as Hitch secretly caring for a large egg he found on the beach, Sunny struggling to understand her new alicorn magic that she's currently unable to control when and where it activates, and Pipp and Izzy prepare a surprise gift for Sunny by repairing the lantern her dad had made for her (proving that at least some objects from Sunny's old home really were damaged when that place was destroyed). In addition, everyone is preparing for the upcoming Maretime Bay Day festival (so I guess that's where the video game tie-in comes from, though whatever the content of that game will be is obviously not going to be canon to the main series).

Additionally, there's still lingering tensions between the three tribes, especially by the earth ponies who express displeasure over apparently being the only ones still without magic (even Hitch admits to feeling jealous over not having magic, but at least he's respectful enough to not let it cloud his judgement, unlike most of the other earth ponies), the most vocal of whom is unquestionably Poesy Bloom (whose character design is based on the G1 pony who inspired G4's Fluttershy, which admittedly makes her rather nasty attitude in this special quite jarring).

I wasn't exactly pleased to see Zipp be so evasive around her friends and thinking she could solve the mystery of faulty magic on her own. To me, it just seemed like a pointless waste of time for much of the first half of the special. (I guess this means one reason I like the Tell Your Tale series is because the short runtime practically forces it to not beat around the bush too much and just get straight to the point.) Though I did like the little detail that Zipp's phone is one of those foldable smartphones. (I'd also like to note that in one moment of glitching magic, Windy points out that she's usually a pretty good flyer, indicating that this special takes place after at least the first few episodes of Tell Your Tale.)

Thankfully, all of the Main Five are able to figure out prior to the festival that hatred and distrust among the ponies has been what's causing magic to glitch out, and they make a good effort to use the festival to promote unity among all ponies, but jealousy and hatred among the earth ponies proves so great that it unleashes a powerful storm and opens a bottomless void in the ground. This time, the complete loss of magic not only prevents pegasi from flying and unicorns from casting spells, but also causes the hooves of earth ponies to get stuck to the ground.

The disaster is averted when everyone realizes that working together to help each other is able to undo those consequences (Sunny even used her repaired lantern and alicorn magic to rescue Poesy from the void), and with true unity fully restored, magic returns even stronger than before, enough to give even the earth ponies magic such as making plants grow rapidly (and allowing Hitch to communicate directly with animals). For those of you who have always wondered about whether earth ponies even have any magic at all, it seems now you have a very definitive answer.

After all of that happened, the egg Hitch found on the beach hatches into a dragon, which Sunny notes have not been seen by any ponies for "generations", so at least that provides a somewhat minimal amount of time that has passed since the events of G4. It also leaves us wondering how much the dragons might have changed throughout that period of time. Also, Queen Haven visited the festival, and after a conversation with Zipp, she eventually allows Zipp to stay in Maretime Bay with her friends. Zipp even ends up earning the title of "Detective" for her efforts.

In addition, near the end of the special, we also got a brief foreshadowing of potentially the first real villain of the series, who claims that now that the ponies have regained full control over their magic, she can finally "take back what is rightfully mine", so we may yet learn more about why all magic was lost in the first place, such as  where those magical Unity Crystals came from and why they were separated. (From what little we could see of her in the shadows, I would best describe her as a unicorn that sort of resembles Nightmare Moon.)

As for the animation, while the quality is certainly not as great as the movie, I will say that, for what will after all be a multi-episode series, it's actually rather standard at worst, so I'll consider it as "good enough" (it could be better, but it could also be much worse, and there's always the possibility for improvement as the series goes on).

Overall, this seemed like a rather decent way to start off the series, almost like those two-part episodes that started almost every season of FiM, and I'll be looking forward to the full-length episodes when they come out in September, four months from now.

In addition, we also have this week's new episode of Tell Your Tale (which apparently takes place right after the events of Make Your Mark, so be sure to watch that before you watch this video):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZiETt6ypF_A

We all know Izzy is always excited to try new things, and being from the relatively primitive town of Bridlewood means she's not exactly familiar with modern technology, and those two combined resulted somewhat inevitably in her accidentally deleting all of the videos Pipp had recorded from the Maretime Bay Day celebration. I don't like losing information, so I completely understand why Pipp would feel so devastated. The others ultimately cheered her up by recreating the festival in their backyard, and while that might seem pretty over the top, I do appreciate that they kept the recreation between just the five of them and they didn't try to force the rest of town into mimicking everything that had happened the previous day (that would've completely ruined the episode for me, so what we got instead is okay by me). Also, at least they still have several photographs from the actual festival, so it's not like there's nothing left to remember it by.

I would also like to note that with the release of this episode, it now makes sense why the Tell Your Tale series was started weeks before the release of Make Your Mark, because apparently the first ten episodes take place before Make Your Mark. By my calculations, we can expect to be through a total of 28 episodes of Tell Your Tale by the time Season 1 of Make Your Mark comes out in late September (so that'll be 18 episodes of TYT between the special and Season 1 of MYM).
« Last Edit: May 26, 2022, 10:40:10 PM by The Chronicler »

- Berix

The Chronicler

• Bionicle fan of GoF
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Aside from the release of the video game "A Maretime Bay Adventure" last Friday, not much else new in the past week, aside from discussions regarding various aspects of the Make Your Mark special. (Though I am curious to hear what other members here thought of that special.)

And as usual, here's this week's new episode of Tell Your Tale:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V8yXOOjzeA0

Strange as this might sound, I both like and dislike this episode. I disliked it because of Zipp accusing her friends of stealing her sunglasses with rather flimsy evidence (the kind of nonsense I'd expect from Pinkie Pie, not from someone as logical as Zipp). But then came the part that I really liked, which was Izzy gifting Zipp that awesome special visor that allows her to see things in a lot of different ways (night vision, heat vision, x-ray vision). Not only am I thrilled to see that cool visor is now an actual thing rather than just something random in the credits, but also I guess this means Izzy is more tech-savvy than I had previously thought (especially after that mishap in last week's episode). So, yeah, I disliked Zipp's behavior in this episode, but loved that new item she got (and I'm really looking forward to seeing how that visor could be utilized in future episodes of both this series and the upcoming Make Your Mark series).

- Berix

The Chronicler

• Bionicle fan of GoF
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
A one page preview of the upcoming issue of the comics, later this month:
https://www.equestriadaily.com/2022/06/1-page-preview-for-my-little-pony-g5.html

And this week's new episode of Tell Your Tale:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BP-1mHpZ5ag

Let's be honest, how many of you ever expected an episode of My Little Pony to include a cheerful song about digging through garbage? That was kind of amusing, I have to admit, and I can imagine plenty of ways the fans will likely make use of Izzy's enthusiasm for dumpster diving. Anyway, since this episode features Izzy trying to find a part to finish repairing the lantern as a surprise gift for Sunny, it's obvious this episode takes place sometime in the middle of the events of the Make Your Mark special (a similar assessment I recently made for last week's episode after looking closely at the background of some images from Make Your Mark). Another thing I found notable is that Izzy rides around town on some kind of moped or scooter, which for me confirms that motorized vehicles really do exist in G5 Equestria, albeit probably not very common.

- Berix

The Chronicler

• Bionicle fan of GoF
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Nothing new of significant interest this week, aside from the latest new episode of Tell Your Tale:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHCapwmiYko

After so many episodes that essentially pushed Sunny to the sidelines, it's good to finally see an episode that actually shows how much she has struggled to control her alicorn powers. While Izzy, Pipp, and Zipp had their own ideas, it was Hitch who ultimately helped Sunny understand that she just needed to believe in herself, and it was in an effort to save some foals from a big wave at the beach that she finally gained better control over her alicorn magic, though it's obvious she still has a lot of work to do.

EDIT: After looking through some images from this episode, I now noticed that the scene where Zipp pushes Sunny through that dangerous obstacle course apparently takes place inside the Canterlogic building, which has obviously been left abandoned for quite a long time. If you look closely at the background of that scene, you might even recognize the stage and runway from an early part of the New Generation movie is in that very same room.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2022, 08:00:16 PM by The Chronicler »

- Berix

f-22 "raptor" ace

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
well that episode was... interesting. felt a bit rush though honestly.

Daddytops2021

• Chomper
    • View Profile
Quote from: f-22 "raptor" ace on June 22, 2022, 04:17:34 AM
Quote from: f-22 "raptor" ace on June 22, 2022, 04:17:34 AM
well that episode was... interesting. felt a bit rush though honestly.
I agree
Raoul: (voiceover): What is this? A Triceratops? A grocery store with, and… He’s got hot dogs? Subways?

The Chronicler

• Bionicle fan of GoF
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
FYI, I'm still curious to hear what anyone else thought of the Make Your Mark special that came out last month (if you've seen it, of course).

Anyway, issue #2 of the comic series came out yesterday, though no extended preview is available for me to share, presumably because its digital release was leaked a day early. Either way, based on what I've heard, it seems the comics will be the G5 series that focuses on the connection between G5 and G4, so if you've wanted those answers, that's where you'll find them (though let's face it, past experience has proven that content from the comics may not necessarily be true canon for the TV series).

And here's this week's Tell Your Tale episode:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_C3VpQs8uJI

So this episode features Sunny, Hitch, and Izzy have suddenly turned into very young foals (so young that they can't even speak properly), which leaves Pipp and Zipp to figure out how it happened and how to return them back to normal. I do have to say, it's nice to see some almost immediate continuity between these most recent episodes, particularly with Zipp using her special visor and that jar of glitter Izzy had collected from when Sunny was struggling to control her alicorn magic. Interesting that the alicorn glitter has magical effects when used in certain ways, which I'm sure will provide plenty of other possibilities for upcoming episodes.

- Berix

The Chronicler

• Bionicle fan of GoF
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
A synopsis of issue 5 of the comic series was revealed last week:
https://www.equestriadaily.com/2022/06/my-little-pony-generation-5-5.html

And of course, here's this week's new episode of Tell Your Tale:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aqv4SgXV5tE

Okay, I sure wasn't expecting an episode to have one of the focus characters be Dahlia, who prior to this episode was essentially one of those barely-known background ponies. And now that it's been brought up, it actually makes sense that a typical flower cart would struggle to have much business with the kind of magic earth ponies now have. Sunny tried her best to help Dahlia learn to use her earth pony magic, but it soon becomes obvious that, just like with some unicorns and pegasi, earth ponies are also still struggling to properly control their magic. In this case, excessive pollen from giant flowers leads to an allergy epidemic (and I will admit that all those snotty noses made this one of the first episodes that was just too much cringe for me to fully watch). Sunny and her friends made a good effort to help the entire town move on from that disaster, though even that success appears to be only temporary.

- Berix

The Chronicler

• Bionicle fan of GoF
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Nothing new to share this week, aside from the latest Tell Your Tale episode:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nrB49t7ktqE

Compared to some of the most recent episodes, this one was pretty amusing, with a very interesting concept. We all know Zipp is supposed to one day inherit the title of queen, so it was nice to see her suggest that Queen Haven let Zipp and her friends handle all of her royal duties for a day. Needless to say, the five of them were quickly overwhelmed. At least they all did their best to keep going and not freak out too badly, though they were certainly relieved once the day finally came to an end, especially with Haven generous enough to provide them with a royal meal for their efforts.

- Berix

aabicus (LettuceBacon&Tomato)

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Rations
    • View Profile
    • aabicus.com
I finally got around to watching Make Your Mark, and tbh I'm really unimpressed. The plot was fragmented beyond all belief, with at least 5 subplots all having nothing to do with each other. Izzy and the Twitch streamer pony had nothing to do throughout the plot, Sunny did nothing but save the day last-minute by turning into an alicorn, Hutch's new dragon baby looks like something from a cheap commercial for kid's toothpaste, and they never fixed the ambient occlusion on Zipp's wings so they still look like plastic. Izzy's horn would frequently switch between fur-colored and bone-colored, many background ponies would either be standing still or (even worse) flying without any wing animations, and highlighter-pony was still hilariously oversaturated and didn't fit the color palette of everything else in the world. Plus I found the songs generic and pretty forgettable compared to the broadway-style Menken-esque songs we got back in Gen IV. And finally, why was it called Make Your Mark? Did somebody make a mark at some point in that special?

On the positive side, voice-acting was well-done, the replacements they found for the celebrity cast from the original movie sound very similar and put a lot of nuance into the underwhelming dialogue they had to deliver. In general, I don't really see much value in Gen 5's current quality except for MLP's original purpose of distracting kids and selling toys.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2022, 06:37:10 PM by aabicus (LettuceBacon&Tomato) »

The Chronicler

• Bionicle fan of GoF
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Here's this week's new episode of Tell Your Tale:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=avC3uZm1cVY

So it seems the "Equestria Games" have been brought back by Sunny and friends as a way to celebrate the reunification of the pony tribes (though certainly nothing like the old version we saw in Seasons 3 and 4 of G4's FiM series). Of course, having the teams consist of the same kinds inevitably results in unfair advantages as they use their respective kinds of magic, and everyone's intense competitiveness eventually causes the magic to start glitching out again (just like in the Make Your Mark special). I thought it was nice to see both Queen Haven and Alphabittle (first time he's ever made a significant appearance in a Tell Your Tale episode) talk with Sunny about the difficulties of leadership, which helps Sunny realize the key to making the games successful is to have everyone compete on mixed teams so that the advantages of each kind of magic are balanced out evenly. A rather nice departure from the old version of the games that divided everyone by where they're from, which was certainly bound to fail, considering how strongly divided the tribes used to be.

- Berix

The Chronicler

• Bionicle fan of GoF
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
A two-page preview of Issue 3 of the comics, which will be coming out next week:
https://www.equestriadaily.com/2022/07/2-page-itunes-preview-for-my-little.html

And here's this week's new episode of Tell Your Tale:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oc8kkMwcj8Y

I'm sure there were times back in G4 when we wondered what exactly the animals were saying to Fluttershy, and with Hitch having that ability in the current generation, it seems this episode finally provided that, where Hitch struggles to resolve a dispute over a berry bush between the racoonicorns and the pegasnails. Not only do we perfectly understand what they're saying (with the pegasnails speaking with a posh accent and the racconicorns speaking with a New York accent), but there are also moments when Sunny is around and we hear those critters speaking the senseless gibberish we normally would expect from such critters, proving that they're not actually talking but rather we're just hearing what Hitch can hear thanks to his earth pony magic. Personally, I found the concept kinda interesting, but not much else to say. I guess it's the novelty of hearing these critters actually talk that made this a rather neat episode, so make of that what you will.

EDIT: I decided to correct the identifications of the accents used by the critters, to avoid unintentionally coming across as offensive to certain groups.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2022, 11:00:12 PM by The Chronicler »

- Berix

The Chronicler

• Bionicle fan of GoF
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
For the comics, the synopsis of issue 6 has been revealed:
https://www.equestriadaily.com/2022/07/my-little-pony-generation-5-6.html

Here's an extended preview of issue 3, which just released yesterday:
https://www.equestriadaily.com/2022/07/my-little-pony-g5-comic-3-extended.html

And of course, here's this week's new episode of Tell Your Tale:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5H2ihFEOm5k

So this episode focuses on another background pony who we've previously known very little beyond their name, in this case the earth pony stallion named Rufus. And this time, it's Izzy who ends up helping him figure out how to utilize his new magic, albeit after several failed efforts in trying to find something that a performance magician like himself could do. (At least he's nowhere nearly as boastful as another certain performance magician from the G4 series.) We also got another appearance by those three fillies who occasionally show up, and I think this might be the first time one of them was identified by name. Overall, while not among my favorite episodes, it was relatively okay.

- Berix