The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Wii U

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Okay, now that we've all had time for it to settle in, what do you guys think of Nintendo's new system, entitled Wii U?

As for myself, I think it's rather neat.  When I saw that you can STILL play the game when someone else changes the channel to watch something on TV, it just blew my mind.

However, this could be the final Nintendo installment before we head onto "The Cloud" Consoles.  Sure, it's still a long ways off, but this could be the final one, guys. -_-

vonboy

• Chomper: "Threehorns are better at everything, including rumpsteaks"
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
It definitely looks very interesting. I want to know how much it will cost. Yeah, not having to use the TV to play the console sounds pretty cool.

Though you can only use one of those new touchscreen controllers with a system at a time. That kind of disappointed me. When I first heard rumors of the controller, I thought of muliplayer games where each player got their own screen, instead of having to split the tv into 4 screens.

The graphics are nice. Graphics aren't really what I focus on, but it's nice to have them.

One thing I don't like is Nintendo saying they don't want to release that many of their own games, to let some third parties have a chance on the console. When I buy a Nintendo console, I do it to play Nintendo's games, all the third party games are just extra for me.

It sounds like it's still a good year off or so, so things can change. I'll keep an open mind and keep an eye on it.
Come check out my new Youtube gaming channel, Game Biter!
---------------------
Littlefoot: "Look, Chomper. You're uncle is dead, and it's just right for your friends to be there for you. You'd be there if someone we know died, right?"

Chomper: "Well, sure I would!"

Come give my LBT TV Series fanfiction, PAST-O-RAMA, a read!
---------------------
(Runner-Up)

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
    • Knowhere: A Geek Culture Fan Forum
Nintendo has yet to let me down going all the way back to the NES, so that's about 25 years of satisfaction on my part. I have every confidence that it will be excellent.
"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you." -Gandalf

MrDrake

• Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Sounds interesting and all, but I wont buy one myself, too poor for anything like that and besides, when I can aford something, I'll be getting a new laptop first.  But hey, at least the PS3 still keeps me preoccupied and all.

Still would like to try this though at some point XD

Waluigifan

• Spike
    • View Profile
    • http://www.waluigi.de
However, this could be the final Nintendo installment before we head onto "The Cloud" Consoles. Sure, it's still a long ways off, but this could be the final one, guys. sleep.gif
Ha? Why should it be Nintendo's last console? o.O And what are "Cloud Consoles"? Never heard of that.

I think it is okay. It's a good innovation and finally the graphics looks okay (I think the character models in Super Mario games for Wii looks WORSE than the GameCube games, in my opinion only "Mario & Sonic 2012" and "Mario Party 9" shows the REAL graphic power of the Nintendo Wii.).

But I won't buy this console if it costs too much. The 3DS is a rip-off in my opinion, I will NEVER pay Ä250 for a handheld game system! I won't pay Ä250 just for 3D. I'll wait till the price drops to Ä150. I'm sure I'll have to wait 5 years for this.

I'm looking forward to Mario games on this new console.

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Quote from: Waluigifan,Jun 11 2011 on  07:05 AM
However, this could be the final Nintendo installment before we head onto "The Cloud" Consoles. Sure, it's still a long ways off, but this could be the final one, guys. sleep.gif
Ha? Why should it be Nintendo's last console? o.O And what are "Cloud Consoles"? Never heard of that.
"The Cloud" is the theory where the games would be accessible online, all the time.  It would mean unlimited space for the creators.  They would have so much to work with and easily be able to improve just one game, without it costing them hardly anything.

Of course, with the recent temporary downtime of the PSN, it's easy to tell that the companies still have some work to be done.  However, I won't lie, many sources from those who do get in touch with gaming companies say that most gaming companies are aiming towards "the cloud" idea because of how profitable it would be for them.

So yeah, a Cloud Console would be one that can access that, and ONLY that.

Also, I feel that Nintendo has reached a technological peak.  They really can't go any further in making "improvements" without it becoming ridiculously expensive and unprofitable for them.  So yeah, I feel, because of that, this could be the last one before they move onto the theory of "The Cloud".

So yeah, that's the whole explanation behind "The Cloud".  Sounds interesting, doesn't it?

Waluigifan

• Spike
    • View Profile
Hm... I don't like the idea, because you have to use a high speed internet connection, don't you? I only have DSL 1500, and there is no way to improve this. And many people like to store their games in the shelf, they want to HAVE something that shows other people: "Look, I have that game!" and so on.

Well, back to topic: I'm curious how a Mario game looks like with the new graphic power. =P

Littlefoot1616

• The Circle
  • Cera
  • The game is on; so let's play!
    • View Profile
You've gotta admire Nintendo efforts towards coming up with some truly innovative hardware ideas and designs. The idea of a 6.5inch touchscreen controller sounds a bit odd when I first heard it. I kind of imagined trying to play games on a console using an iPad as a controller (not looking at that in a good light I hasten to add :lol). However, the stage demo I saw of the controller actively receiving a signal from the console that not lonely allows for wireless play to continue without a TV, but to extend you playing view BEYOND what you can see on the TV screen. A brilliant idea but again, Nintendo demos of their own kit is always top-notch. It's the third party companies and what they will do with the new features that will really interest me.

Petrie85

• Cera
    • View Profile
My thought of when I herd the system name I thought the title doesn't want me to drop 300 plus tax on it. But I've seen pictures and it looks like a decent system. Some features look cool. But I will wait and see what the critics give it.

Waluigifan

• Spike
    • View Profile
I will wait and see what the system will cost. If it costs too much I have to think about in which way the system is worth that price.

In my opinion the 3DS costs way too much (Ä100 more than the previous DS just to have 3D? No way!) and even if there are many good Mario games coming for it, I won't buy this handheld if the price doesn't drop to Ä150. I think this will take many years. :( I also think the Sony Vita will be a hard competitor to the 3DS, because it costs just the same.

However, I think it would be okay if the Wii U costs around Ä300 or Ä350, because you'll get HD graphics and Nintendo seems to learn from their former mistakes (bad online service (especially in Super Smash Bros. Brawl), inferior graphic power to the PS3 and XBOX360 (well, I am sure the PS4 will be more powerful, but I don't care), no sufficient cooperation with 3rd parties, very bad casual games etc.) from what I've heard so far about Nintendo's plans, so that they won't do the same mistakes again.

The Wii U is also a must-have for me because of certain upcoming Mario games! Can't wait to enjoy Mario games in HD xD I am also looking forward to the next Super Smash Bros.

However, I hope it won't cost more than Ä350.

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
Well, if the starting price of the Wii is anything to go off of, it probably won't be too terribly expensive.
"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you." -Gandalf

Petrie85

• Cera
    • View Profile
Eh the title sounds very stupid. But I might not get it. I will wait and see what the viewers say.

brekclub85

• Member+
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I'll see what games are announced for the console, as that's what's important.

Though I'm excited for the Wii U's Mario kart even though that's years off probably.

Petrie85

• Cera
    • View Profile
Just the name makes me not wanna buy this. It's such a stupid name. But I will see what games are gonna be made.

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
You know, I've been thinking of the possible games that will launch with this new console, and I thought to myself, "Wouldn't it be great if this launched with the upcoming game, 'New Super Mario Bros. Mii'?"

I know it's nothing more than a remake of "New Super Mario Bros. Wii" with having your Mii character added in as a playable character, which can be done easily via DLC mind you, but if "Twilight Princess" taught us anything, it's that people will buy a console just for a big name title game, even on launch date, when it's the most expensive.

If they announce that as a launch title, I wouldn't be surprised if people pre-ordered it right away.  Seriously, if they do that, I would not be one bit surprised at what will happen. :)

Campion1

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
That entire video is based on current generation console hardware without any input on future iterations by Nintendo's competitors, thus making it pointless fanboy jibber jabber

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
Bitter, campion?

Nice find with the video, Dark.

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://bluedramon.deviantart.com
Thanks.

I'm still not sure if I'll get the Wii U or not. My brother might, though. Chances are I'll give it a shot after/if my brother gets it.

While I cannot say for sure if the Wii U will truly be a success, I will not deny Nintendo is a very successful gaming company. Currently of the 3 major gaming consoles, Nintendo is the oldest, the longest lived, and the most experienced. So perhaps Jim is right and Nintendo is going the right direction with the Wii U, and perhaps the Wii U will be a big hit.

This video also inspired a theory of mine of the direction of the consoles. If things continue the way they are, with Sony and Microsoft turning their machines more and more into 'entertainment systems' while Nintendo keeps focus on the games, then perhaps in the future, both Microsoft and Sony will stop producing game consoles altogether, sticking solely with small 'computers' made for all kinds of entertainment, while Nintendo remains a video gaming console.

Just a theory anyway.

And Jimquisition actually isn't a fanboy of Nintendo, Campion1. None of his videos suggest that, at least not to me. The video he made about the Wii U are simply his observations. He even says he cannot say for sure if the Wii U will be a success, especially not knowing what Microsoft or Sony will pull out of their sleeves. Just because he thinks the Wii U may be the winner of the next gen consoles doesn't mean he's a Nintendo fanboy not giving the other two competing consoles a chance. Now perhaps I'm mistaken and he is a strict Nintendo fanboy. But at the moment, he doesn't come across as that to me.

No I do not agree with everything Jimquisition says. I just like listening to his opinions and his input.