The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Laserdisc of the Original Movie.

Pikkutassu

• Spike
    • View Profile
Quote from: Pangaea,Jul 15 2010 on  05:12 PM
So…the difference between CAV and CLV is that a CAV disc has bonus features, while a CLV is just the movie on a disc?
Yes.

pteranofan

• Chomper
    • View Profile
Wow, a laserdisc! o.o

My biology teacher had one of those that we viewed one day waaaaaaaaaaaaay back when I was a freshman in high school, heh.

But very cool, glad you could come across such a treasure. ^^

Petrie.

• Hatchling
  • It's good to be the king!
    • View Profile
Laserdisk....one very dead format. :p  Peculiar how the laserdisc would have any sort of extras while the dvd has none.

Spiketail

• Ruby
    • View Profile
Quote from: Pangaea,Jul 15 2010 on  05:12 PM
So…the difference between CAV and CLV is that a CAV disc has bonus features, while a CLV is just the movie on a disc?
Actually, no. CAV and CLV are different compression formats, not too dissimilar to a DVD. CAV is the highest-quality option on a Laserdisc, however the disadvantage is that you would have to turn the disc over halfway through the movie. CLV fits onto one side of a disc so you don't have to turn it over halfway through, but the picture quality is slightly poorer. I think you would still be able to get special features on a CLV disc if the distributor used up the other side of the disc.

Pangaea

• Member+
  • Cera
  • Contemplator of Deep Time
    • View Profile
Ah. Thanks for clearing that up. :)

Hold on, though; are you saying that bonus features wouldn’t fit on a CAV disc? Because if that’s the case, then pokeplayer’s copy would have to be the CLV format.

pokeplayer, which format DO you have? :confused

Pronounced "pan-JEE-uh". Spelled with three A's. Represented by a Lystrosaurus.

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
It's a CAV version.  However, the big thing is that the movie comes on 2 discs, totaling in 4 sides.  The movie takes up 3 sides total, thus the Bonus Material is on the final side.

So yeah, even though it's a CAV, it just has an extra disc to contain it all. :)

Spiketail

• Ruby
    • View Profile
I was thinking of CAA (the most extreme compression format) while explaining CLV. My mistake. The CLV version carries the movie on a two-sided disc. I don't think there is a CAA version out there, because of the short length of the movie. It's all very confusing; I'm still learning about a dead format that I may collect in future.

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Hey guys, great news!  I got myself a Laserdisc Player online.  How much did it cost me?

99 cents plus shipping! :)

This is mainly due to me winning it as an eBay auction.  The auction started at 99 cents and NO ONE ELSE but me made a bid.  I even made an insurance of bettering my chances by making my max bid $5.00.  Still, no one else bid on it.

It did have a "Buy it Now" price of $9.89, but I decided to take my chances and bid for it, and I won.

Anyways, it's a good quality player and has the RWY connection in the back.  This is a main concern because some Laserdisc Players don't have that, and if you end up with one without it, good luck hunting down the necessary adapter for it to work with today's TVs.  At least with a RWY connection, I can connect it to my TV and watch it just fine.

So, within 2 weeks, (That's how long it'll take for it to arrive.) we'll finally have our answer.  Here's hoping for the best. :)

See ya guys later! :^.^:

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Congratulations.  I hope you enjoy it.  I am curious what you find out.  

Now that you have a laserdisc player do you think you'll get a few other laserdisc movies or just this single one?

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Quote from: Kor,Oct 21 2010 on  12:00 PM
Now that you have a laserdisc player do you think you'll get a few other laserdisc movies or just this single one?
I am definitely going to get the other 4 movies of The Land Before Time that were on Laserdisc and see what changes there are on those.

Also, if there are missing scenes, I'll find a way to transfer them to my computer so it can finally be seen by the world.

Well, see ya guys later!

Spiketail

• Ruby
    • View Profile
It's possible to transfer Laserdisc as long as you have RCA or S-Video outputs on your player. It's pretty much the same way you transfer VHS to your computer, as both are analog sources.

As far as I know, there are no changes made to the other three films save for better picture and sound. I believe the Laserdiscs use the original Dolby Surround soundtrack while the VHS is linear stereo due to the limitations of the technology.

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
That's nice John! 99 cents, that's certainly not bad ;)

Pikkutassu

• Spike
    • View Profile
Nice  :) can't wait to find out what the extras are.

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I'm sure we're all interested as well.  I'm also curious on the quality of the video and sound compared to the regular vhs and dvd versions.

Dilopho

• Chomper
    • View Profile

aabicus (LettuceBacon&Tomato)

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Rations
    • View Profile
    • aabicus.com
Awesome! Can't wait to hear what the deleted scenes are!

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Well, the player finally arrived and I had watched the movie.  So, time for the BIG reveal.  The answer to whether or not there are any missing scenes on the disc is...

No!  There are none! :(

Yep, it's the same movie you would get on VHS or DVD, just in a different format.

However, I did find something.  At the end of the movie, there are pictures of the movie.  A lot of them.  Among the pictures is a scene that was never shown.  Basically, it's at the point after Ducky finds Spike.

In the pictures, after Spike falls asleep, Littlefoot finds Ducky, and it is shown that Ducky lures Spike into following them, not with leaves, but with cherries.

I know you guys want to see these pictures and I promise to show them as soon as possible.  Just please be patient with me.

Now, I do want to talk about my experience, but I'll do that in another post.  I have a lot to say.

So, for now, see ya guys later! :)

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I heard laserdiscs were the size of records or pretty large anyway.  No hurry with the pictures.  You're likely busy and it may take time to figure out how to get the pictures off anyway using that technology.

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
From watching the movie, I have learned that Laserdisc is a whole different beast, even within the video department.

It's like that sweet spot you find after good quality and before the uncanny.  Like that one point right before it would start to turn bad.  It's pretty unique and rather hard to explain.  You really have to see it for yourself, preferably on a wide-screen TV, much like I did. :D

You also get to notice a number of things that are usually difficult to catch in either VHS or DVD.  Like those little moments that you don't notice, unless you watch it a hundred times, or something like that.  I was actually able to catch those unnoticeable points a lot better with Laserdisc.

For instance...

Ducky actually kissing one of her siblings not long after she is born.

The scene where Littlefoot's Mother got torn into, in the shadow, you do see a slight moment of a blood spray.

After Littlefoot's Mother knocks Sharptooth away, (The one right after she got torn into) you notice she is standing in water and not on the ground.

Littlefoot's Treestar disappearing at the scene where we meet Petrie. (Actually, Littlefoot's Treestar disappears several times within the movie before it's utter destruction.)

How off Cera looks when Spike joins.

Right after the moment of Cera snuggling up with Littlefoot, it shows her snuggling up with Spike.

Petrie disappearing when the gang get chased by Sharptooth.

Petrie's daring escape from Sharptooth, before he is caught again. (There is a slight moment when Petrie escapes Sharptooth's grasp, only for him to be caught again and get pulled under. (Wow!  Those animators were good!))

---------------

So yeah, I noticed quite a bit thanks to this thing.

However, I will admit the bad of part of me having to get up to either flip or change the disc.  At least they stop them at good points in the movie.

Side 1's beginning: Start of Movie.

Side 1's ending: Littlefoot Meets Rooter.

Side 2's beginning: The infamous Cherry Scene. (Why didn't I show this for my old "Scene of the Week" thing on my site? (Speaking of, I really need to update that thing.))

Side 2's ending: Finding "The Rock that Looks Like A Longneck".

Side 3's beginning: The Great Climbing of the Rocks.

Side 3's Ending: End of Movie.

Side 4: Bonus Material

So yeah, at least they did well with splitting it.

I must admit, this was a unique and interesting experience.  I'll definitely be looking forward to getting the other 4 that are on Laserdisc.

See ya guys later! :)

Dilopho

• Chomper
    • View Profile