The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

How Chomper learned to talk on herbivore language?

Sneak · 7 · 1439

Sneak

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
You know situation.
We have one small familiar friendly sharptooth who hatched in small society of young herbivores, and spent with them first hours of his life, before he met his parents and went with them into Mysterious Beyond. The rest of life he lived with parents, in society of carnivores. And, years later, we met him in Island, where he talks on herbivores language very good.

Let's forget about possibly plot holes that were left by creators, and find possible explanation how Chomper learned to talk with herbivores.

Even if he spent with Littlefoot and friends more than one day, one week, for example, - it's absolutely obvious he couldn't learn to talk during this small time period.

Ok, I can agree with fact that he remembered Littlefoot's personality, his face, and that helped him to recognize little longneck in their second meet, on Island.
With memories about first days of his life, he could change his nature, even if after that he lived with predators who teaches that leafeaters is only food.
He could learn some single words, like yes/no, Littlefoot's name, walk, eat, etc.

But let's face with it: individual person needs to spend a time with another person, talk with him, he should be part of society, even if this society contains only two persons, for example, and one of them is small baby who learns how to talk in the same language as his companion.

Let's forget about paranormal theories. No mysterious rainbowfaces, blue stones and ponds of wishes. :D

So... Here's question. Who was that companion? Who dared to contact with baby sharptooth, and helped him to talk?

Could it be another child? Or some old decrepit dinosaur?

(Two opposite OC I created for this purpose... )

What do you think?

Ludichris1

• Spike
    • View Profile
Probably either. But I'm not sure he became friends with any cuz he never mentions one, not even in great danger. And with three sharpteeth on the island it must be very big and quite full of food. The gang just seems to avoid them I guess.

vonboy

• Chomper: "Threehorns are better at everything, including rumpsteaks"
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
It could be Ruby. Maybe he met her not long after the second movie. I know Malte's fanfic had that happen, and it sounds more plausible than just some other random dino teaching him.

He COULD have also learned just from observing leafeaters. Since he didn't really seem interested in hunting leaf eaters, he could have just spent his free time watching leafeaters, and slowly learning their language that way.
Come check out my new Youtube gaming channel, Game Biter!
---------------------
Littlefoot: "Look, Chomper. You're uncle is dead, and it's just right for your friends to be there for you. You'd be there if someone we know died, right?"

Chomper: "Well, sure I would!"

Come give my LBT TV Series fanfiction, PAST-O-RAMA, a read!
---------------------
(Runner-Up)

Sneak

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
He met Ruby before LBT5 events? interesting...

About observing: damn, I forgot to say about that in my post. Here is: Well, even if blue little biter observed life of leafeaters somehow, still: he HAS to talk with someone to develop excellent speech skills.

(huh, I used this "observation lessons" stuff to teach one predator to use simple phrases on leafeaters language in his hunt...)

JulianR94

• Member+
  • Chomper
    • View Profile
    • http://www.fanfiction.net/u/6968782/
Yes, I would second vonboy's statement, Chomper having met Ruby. Partially, that is. Though it is odd, it's the only logical explanation there is for Chomper being bilingual. And also, several months must have passed between Movie 2 and 5. And in my mind, as in Rhombus' and my own fanfiction, I think leaf-eater is an immensely easy language to pick up. Logically, being a language spoken by "less intelligent" dinosaurs. Still, don't forget we're talking about LBT here, not a scientific series by any means, and don't forget you cannot compare that with "our" languages such as English or German. We humans used to communicate via grunts and snarls, too, a long time ago.

However, I would like to make clear that Chomper will have hunted leaf-eaters on that island. Before he recognized Littlefoot, you could see it in is eyes. He was hunting, and willing to kill. And it's good they hinted at this, because Chomper was living with his parents, two full-grown T-Rex, on that island. It makes no sense whatsoever for him having lived off insects and such small creatures. Even if Chomper never killed on his own, he will have eaten several herbivores his parents killed.
Remember his own words towards his parents in sharptooth, where he claims to have just eaten a longneck, making his parents ignore the scent of Littlefoot. If Chomper had never killed, or at least eaten, a Sauropod, his parents would have been surprised by this, at least commented on that.

So yeah, this is my take because I'd like to be realistic about this. There is no shame in a carnivore's actions, and even in cartoons mostly made for younger audiences, I would welcome it if not every carnivore was depicted as a monster, or if a carnivore happens to be a "good guy" (such as Chomper), not to make him look unnatural by forcing his diet to be borderline vegan. I can only refer to the Lion King on that matter once again.

Sneak

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Yes, I would second vonboy's statement, Chomper having met Ruby. Partially, that is. Though it is odd, it's the only logical explanation there is for Chomper being bilingual. And also, several months must have passed between Movie 2 and 5. And in my mind, as in Rhombus' and my own fanfiction, I think leaf-eater is an immensely easy language to pick up. Logically, being a language spoken by "less intelligent" dinosaurs. Still, don't forget we're talking about LBT here, not a scientific series by any means, and don't forget you cannot compare that with "our" languages such as English or German. We humans used to communicate via grunts and snarls, too, a long time ago.
You're right.

Yes, technically, dinosaurs speech is set of voices and roars, plus face emotions.  BUT, I still think Chomper HAD to make at least one conversation with leafeater before he met Littlefoot and gang. He had to make practice. I don't know...
Mo is so much lingual (quad-lingual? Oo), but he has no problems with communication practice, because dinos don't run in fear from him.  :lol

And observation stuff... Hmm, little biter spent all of his free time between bloody breakfasts and dinners, hiding in bushes and observing leafeaters life, for ~2-3 years? Wow, Chomper. And you, Mo. Wish I had your sense of purpose!   :DD  Why did you even start to do it?

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Once the tv series came out I assumed he learned leafeater from Ruby since it seems her and Chomper's parents are friends, or at least acquaintances.  They could have been living the area where Ruby's family is for who knows how long before food grew scarce and they moved on, eventually to the island.  

They they could have gotten off it at some point, when the water level got low enough long enough for them to notice and they walked off.