The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Bron's Search for Littlefoot

General Grievous

• Spike
    • View Profile

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
Even somebody as critical of LBT 10 and Bron as I didn't come up with that suggestion yet. This however would suggest that Bron and Littlefoot's grandparents had some serious talk throughout LBT 10 (not impossible looking at the presence / absence of characters on the screen throughout LBT 10).
I recall there was a discussion before LBT 10 was released (but when the inclusion of Littlefoot's father had already been announced) in which somebody suggested some kind of "You had your chance with our daughter" kind of talk for the movie to come. I'm not sure if it was in the GOF or in the N54 forum though.

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
It would make sense Littlefoot's grandparents and Bron would have had some sort of talk offscreen at some point, a thing we didn't get to see as I recall.

F-14 Ace

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Bron never struck me as being overwhelmingly bright either.  Littlefoot must have inherited all the intelligence genes from his mom.  He certainly didn't get them from dear ol'  dad. :p  And what kind of heartless dick would choose a herd of strangrs over their own son? <_<   Bron never was one of my favorites.

Mornai

• Petrie
    • View Profile
He knew Littlefoot was in the great Valley ( i think) and chose to lead the herd of strangers because if he left them to find littlefoot, they most likely would have been attacked by sharpteeth or possibly starve to death.

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
But what exactly are the qualities of Bron that would make a herd so dependent on him? Why would a herd starve or be attacked by sharpteeth the moment Bron is not there? Of course it may have something to do with the fact that Bron is invulnerable (the sharptooth who bit his leg did not leave a scratch) <_<
Also Bron did not come across as the Great herd leader. He left some of his herd behind, the rest of the herd to whom he meant to introduce Littlefoot "back home". I don't know why anyone would be so inspired by him to adopt him as their leader (at least it doesn't look like he was struggling to become a herd leader), but the movie doesn't show much reason and leadership on his part.

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.thelandbeforetime.org
It sounds to me like Bron didn't care enough to even try to find Littlefoot after he had a herd.  Maybe he just liked the power too much or maybe he didn't want to have to take care of Littlefoot when he was younger.

I suppose Bron could've become a herd leader very easily.  I would suspect that having all of those children attracted females who would naturally want to take care of them.  Naturally, Bron would have taken over as leader because the male is typically the more dominant gender of the species.  After than, I would assume that if another male or female wanted to join the herd that they would have to talk to Bron if they wanted to join, seeing as he is the leader in a group of females because he is male and originally had all of the children.  I remember him saying that most of the children got adopted by others in the herd.  This would support my conclusion.

Cancerian Tiger

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Hehe, I don't know if this is the place to mention this, but cute avatar LBTL :^.^:.

Some seem to believe Bron was not diligent enough in his search for his son, nor is he the sharpest tool in the shed.  I believe Bron simply wanted a reason to run out on his wife and son.  Searching for more food seemed to be a valid excuse (meant as sarcasm).  What would be the matter with his wife and son tagging along after Littlefoot hatched?  Only a self-centered b****** would walk out on their family in a time of crisis :mad.  This sounds just like, hmmm, Bron!

F-14 Ace

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Quote from: Mornai,Mar 13 2008 on  01:02 AM
He knew Littlefoot was in the great Valley ( i think) and chose to lead the herd of strangers because if he left them to find littlefoot, they most likely would have been attacked by sharpteeth or possibly starve to death.
If a bunch of full-grown, healthy longnecks are too helpless to defend themselves, feed themselves, or incapable of picking a new leader, then maybe the world is better off without them.  

Right now, Bron is the vice-president of the "irresponsible, jerk dad" association.  Darth Vader is the president. :P:

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I suppose Bron could've become a herd leader very easily. I would suspect that having all of those children attracted females who would naturally want to take care of them. Naturally, Bron would have taken over as leader because the male is typically the more dominant gender of the species. After than, I would assume that if another male or female wanted to join the herd that they would have to talk to Bron if they wanted to join, seeing as he is the leader in a group of females because he is male and originally had all of the children. I remember him saying that most of the children got adopted by others in the herd. This would support my conclusion.
Well noticed landbeforetimelover! :yes
I must admit I never took this into account, but it sounds quite plausible to me. You added an interesting point to one of the most frequently and thoroughly discussed LBT topics!

Mornai

• Petrie
    • View Profile
Quote from: F-14 Ace,Mar 13 2008 on  03:03 PM

If a bunch of full-grown, healthy longnecks are too helpless to defend themselves, feed themselves, or incapable of picking a new leader, then maybe the world is better off without them.  

Well, have you ever noticed that in the movies whenever a sharptooth attacks almost ALL of the fully grown healthy dinosaurs there don't attempt to fight back most of the time?

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
It does seem odd how they have so many do that.  I can see some not doing that, but the vast majority not doing so seems rather odd.  Though it gives the kids that are the focus something to do I guess.

Mornai

• Petrie
    • View Profile

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
After than, I would assume that if another male or female wanted to join the herd that they would have to talk to Bron if they wanted to join, seeing as he is the leader in a group of females because he is male and originally had all of the children. I remember him saying that most of the children got adopted by others in the herd.
His being male and young need not make him the leader of the herd (with regard to the leader of Ali's herd in particular), but the rest is true. If Bron didn't want to lead anyone and the kids just followed him (not like he did anything to help them on his own accord <_<) the females might follow the kids and the males the females. This would leave Bron first in line :lol
There is some merit in the thought that those who don't want to lead are those who are most responsible with powers bestowed on them, but I still haven't seen any real leadership on Bron's part so far. Therefore I really like your theory Austin. Once a couple of males would follow the females who follow the kids who follow Bron others might join the herd without asking questions about the leader merely for the fact that there are so many other already.

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I think some crocodilian and alligators are larger then the females, though it's been ages since I read anything about that subject.

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://bluedramon.deviantart.com
I don't know. I never really heard much on the size of crocs and gators, in comparison of the genders I mean.

Noname

• The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://z6.invisionfree.com/Fantasy_RP_Board/index.php?act=idx
Make no mistake, Crocodiles and Alligator males are MUCH larger than the females. And that above quote about females holding dominance is NOT true unless you count ants and other insects, and even then, this is only so because most ants and bees and similar insects are female; the only males among them are the drones, which are still the most powerful kind... they're just terribly outnumbered. Most terrestrial vertebrate males are larger than the females; just look at cows, sheep, lions, tigers, goats, apes, deer, bears,  rhinos, hippos, bison, elephants, cats, dogs, most birds, especially peafowl (you are not correct in your statement, save for a few like Bald eagles)...

In fact, whenever females are larger than males, it is called reverse sexual dimorphism, meaning that the standard kind of dimorphism is when the males are larger than the females, implying that it is more common.

It's actually rather extreme in crocodiles, in which males can be as long as seven meters, but it is very rare for a female to be more than four meters. Yes, certain fish, turtles, insects, arachnids, and some small lizards have the female being larger, but for most animals, this is not the case. Considering that crocodiles are related to dinosaurs and they are the largest living reptiles, I'd have to predict that male dinosaurs were a good deal larger, stronger, and more dangerous than the females.

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://bluedramon.deviantart.com

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I read on Bonobo society the famales are dominant over the males.  I'm not sure how it goes on Orca society, besides the fact the the males remain in the pod they are born into.