The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Dutch translation LBT 13

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I have now seen Land before time 13 in dutch. At first I want to say that they didn't use the original dutch title 'platvoet en zijn vriendjes' but just 'platvoet' which dissapointed me. And now the worst part. Instead of yellowbellies they caslled it 'blauwbuiken' which seriously means 'bluebellies' omg.. Why blue? I've checked the songs, the text, and they could've used 'geel(yellow)buiken' as well as 'blauwbuiken' They have got the same number of syllables.

Stupid translaters. I mean.. Not in the furthest way they have BLUE bellies.. Or do they? Haha, at first I laughed about it because I thought they made a joke. But when they started singing yellow belly bounce it was like 'blauwe buiken ballet' which means blue belly ballet.. haha

I think it is bad to make the kids think they are colorblind  :lol .

Clawandfang

• Petrie
    • View Profile
I do find it interesting how translators can seriously mess things up sometimes. I assume they must work on a tight timeframe or something. Whilst watching "Les Choristes" (which is only in French) even my poor French could see that the people doing the English subtitles had changed things. They still made sense, but it was't what the characters were saying.

Lillefot

• Cera
    • View Profile
Don't remind me...
I'm acctually scared of how the Swedish translation of it will be like!  <_<

Yellowbellies= Gulmagar (well, it means yellowbellies...)
Oh man...  :rolleyes:

/Lillefot

Do well. Live well. And dress very well.

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.thelandbeforetime.org
Translation is never 100% accurate, especially in songs because they have to match up the syllables.  For an example, take a movie you've memorized (like LBT :p ) and put on the english subtitles with another language as an audio track.  You'll notice everything's not exactly translated.

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Yes.. but in this case the syllables would match.. :p

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
Bluebellies! How would that sound in the US?
Wasn't that term an offense used by southerners for northerners during the US Civil War?

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Sounds like the translators may have messed up more then usual this time.  Does the dvd have an english sound track you can use instead?

Cancerian Tiger

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Quote from: Malte279,May 20 2008 on  02:28 PM
Bluebellies! How would that sound in the US?
Wasn't that term an offense used by southerners for northerners during the US Civil War?
Hmm...I'll have to check up on that one.  I know our ancestors referred to them as "carpetbaggers" 'cuz they came to our region to collect spoils <_<.

True, if the literal translation of English was used in foreign versions of American flicks, it would be very weird :blink:.  I learned that while taking Spanish.  They would need to change some verbs and whatnot to have the movies make sense in other languages.  But...bluebellies :blink:?  That's inexcusable :rolleyes:.

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
Hmm...I'll have to check up on that one. I know our ancestors referred to them as "carpetbaggers" 'cuz they came to our region to collect spoils
That term was used in the time of reconstruction to a very specific set of people while the other one originated from the uniform colors during the war itself.
Anyway, I suppose I got wildly off topic here (stupid historian) :bang

kjeldo

• Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://halolz.com
DANG!

i saw it too and i can tell you iris, i totally agree with you! B)

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Yes, I can also watch it in english. And in some languages I have never heard of.. :|

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
That sounds like an alternative if you do not mind that.