The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Was Littlefoot's Bravery and Devotion the Problem?

The Friendly Sharptooth

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Well, I was working on a new fan fiction last night, a canon one, in hopes I can finally write something Malte279 would be interested in reading, and I had The Land Before Time II: The Great Valley Adventure playing in the background for some ambiance. (I dislike writing in utter silence.) Then, when I got to the first confrontation of Ozzie and Strut to the children, something caught my attention, and I was like, “Whoa, what? Hold the phone!” The quote that made me think said, “I’m warning you, you little leaf lickers. Stay out of our way, or I’ll-” Do you know what this means? Ozzie was going to let the children go! He was NOT going to hurt them. He was NOT going to hunt them down. He was NOT going to do a SINGLE THING to them! He was simply giving them a warning not do anything else. He was instructing them to stop bothering them, and if they didn’t listen, THEN he would take matters into his hands. If he was going to kill them, he would not be warning. In fact, if he was going to do anything on that ledge, he wouldn’t have said, “…Or I’ll…” He clearly stated that he was going to do nothing to them unless they interfered any further. “Okay, Michael, we get the point. So why are you bringing this up?” “Excellent question!”

Littlefoot showed up and tried to stop them. Of course, with no plan, he does no good, but he manages to get on the egg stealers’ bad side. He angered Ozzie so badly that he decided to get revenge. Maybe this wasn’t Ozzie’s plan at first, but eventually, he even wanted them dead! So what I strongly believe, and the reason I am saying these things, is that it’s Littlefoot’s fault the gang was in danger from the egg stealers the entire time! If Littlefoot had merely stayed back and let Ozzie make his threat, they would have walked away, the kids would have been fine, and zero, yes, zero, harm would have been done. Littlefoot’s bravery and devotion to his friends incurred Ozzie’s wrath which resulted in the gang constantly being targeted by the egg eaters. I just wonder why none of his friends said anything. I mean, I can easily see Cera say, “Ooh, you stupid longneck! They were going to let us go with a threat, but you had to go and make them mad!” I just find it silly that the constant danger from the egg eaters was actually Littlefoot’s doing.

Dear viewers,

If a man confronts you on the street, says, “I don’t like how you’re treating my people. Do one more thing wrong, and I’ll stab you,” then is about to walk away, DO NOT try to argue! It is pointless, will not better your situation, and will likely get you stabbed. That is all.

Best wishes,
The Friendly Sharptooth

Allicloud

• Member+
  • Petrie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/femoman
Well, the way I see the scene, Littlefoot only spoke up because he saw that his friends were being generally harassed, but to be honest, there was no real way for him to know that Ozzy was just issuing a threat (Remember, Ozzy was speaking in a kind of low, quiet, threatening voice), so he just made the assumption.

Also, Ozzy and Strut only kept up their assault on the kids because they were constantly disturbing their hunt for eggs throughout the film (Though the kids didn't know it at the time), not just this scene.

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
I agree that it was not the initial intention of Ozzy or Strut to kill anyone who hatched already and they would have had chances to do so if this had been any different. When Ozzy accidentally grabbed Littlefoot by the head in the cave he seemed to be no less scared than Littlefoot and given the result of the kids actions to the eggeaters (being burried by a mountain until the next day) they may have had good reason to be scared ;)
There is one very crucial difference in between one statement Ozzy makes in the English version of LBT 2 and the German translation. It is not the statement that you mentioned Michael, that is as unthreatening in the German translation as it is in the English original, but something he later says when Chomper comes to the rescue when the two are about to kill Littlefoot. In the English version he says: "You, I liked much better as an egg." while what he says in the German version could be translated as: "You are even distinctly more tasty than an egg." Which is why I have always been under the impression that I had also written down in the story "The Cold Time", namely that Ozzy and Strut might feed on small dinosaurs of Chomper's, Ducky's, or Petrie's size as well if eggs aren't available while "hatchlings" are.
Allicloud is certainly right that Littlefoot could not know about Ozzy's exact intentions and that his reaction was that of someone who sees his friends cornered by a potentially dangerous enemy. Nevertheless I am not under the impression that at this time he saw the eggeaters as a potentially lethal danger as he would see a sharptooth. Otherwise his reaction would have likely been different from his attempt to "threaten" the much larger dinosaur.
I am under the impression that even at the very end when they were about to muder him it hadn't really sunk in to Littlefoot that these two could kill him because even when they had dragged him up to the Great Wall he was trying to threaten or intimidate them rather than trying anything else.
It remains a mystery how they managed to get Littlefoot there and keep him quiet without anyone in the densly populated Valley even noticing, especially with all the grownups heading there to close the gap, but (in)conveniently arriving there only after everything had happened and after Cera, Ducky, Petrie, and Spike too had popped out of nowhere after everything important had happened.