The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Tops

Malte279 · 94 · 16492

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I still will stick with my opinion, even though everyone else disagrees and I knew folks would.  

I do find him an annoying character but he's not in LBT to much.  I've quit shows I've enjoyed because to me they've had the 1 annoying character in to much for me, but I do like the fact that Threehorn is not in the lbt movies or episodes to much.   & Cera's not to annoying either, and they've added some extra dimensions to her character instead of leaving her as a 1 dimensional annoying character that some other animated or live action series would do.

Littlefoot3897

• Spike
    • View Profile
I haven't seen the 11th film yet so I don't know how Topsy is like there. But in he is sorta mean in a lot of movies.

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
He sure has been in the movies I've seen.

NeoGenesis005

• Ducky
    • View Profile
I'm surprised that Cera still as his Back.  Only because topsey being the father that is bound to happen.  But after several incidents with Cera and her Father I'm amazed she didn't do nothing fatal.

Noname

• The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://z6.invisionfree.com/Fantasy_RP_Board/index.php?act=idx
Fatal? You mean, you are amazed that Cera isn't dead?

NeoGenesis005

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Quote from: Noname,Apr 4 2009 on  12:35 PM
Fatal? You mean, you are amazed that Cera isn't dead?
Fatal was the only word that was going through my head.  But here's an example of what I meant:  

Running away without returning
or
Wishing that Tops wasn't her father.

Cancerian Tiger

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Oh, my!  I thought maybe it was implied that Cera's not suicidal by now.  I'm glad ya cleared that up.  I think that she is too strong in spirit to do such a thing, and that her support system (the others) help her out a great deal.

NeoGenesis005

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Quote from: Cancerian Tiger,Apr 4 2009 on  11:48 PM
Oh, my!  I thought maybe it was implied that Cera's not suicidal by now.  I'm glad ya cleared that up.  I think that she is too strong in spirit to do such a thing, and that her support system (the others) help her out a great deal.
Come Now...Thats my Girl.  Her Will is Thick as Steal.  No way she'll do something like that.

Noname

• The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://z6.invisionfree.com/Fantasy_RP_Board/index.php?act=idx
Heh. Cera acts like her father, but whenever there is danger, she still screams and runs...

NeoGenesis005

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Quote from: Noname,Apr 5 2009 on  02:18 AM
Heh. Cera acts like her father, but whenever there is danger, she still screams and runs...
thats why its such a bad Idea to boast about yourself when your the opposite of what you say.

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Very true.  Maybe she'll learn someday. But with her dad I doubt it.

Bruton the Iguanodon

Call me cruel, but I miss the old Topps of movies 2-4 (no, he wasn't in the cut of 4 we know, but I refuse to accept that a scene with him wasn't filmed that will someday make the shelves.) Not that I liked the racist Topps, I just miss him---he reminds me of a time when the movies were actually good. I'd even be happy with the pre-Tria/Tricia Topps of 5-9. But alas, they had to "soften" the character, which is a good thing but at the same time, I'm like Cera, and I hate it when things change (pun intended!) :)

Sleeping-force's-inside

• Ducky
    • View Profile
I had this revelation today in the train home from the Hospital (no, I am not hurt or the like, I just needed to be there today, in case you are wondering).

Threehorn is a racist to a certain extend, no argument about that. But that is only a piece of his problem with the other grown-ups. The MAIN part of said problem that causes the constant trouble is that he has trouble adjusting to no longer being in charge!!!
I always assumed that he had been the Leader of the Threehorn-herd, what with how he acted, but only today I realized what that meant: for almost his entire adulthood HE was the one that told them where to go, HE was the one that looked for new food, HE was the leader/protector/what-have-you.
Now, in the Great Valley, he is suddenly thrust in a position where he has to not only continuusly share that control over his herdmembers (indeed, there is no true Leadership-position anymore at all), but the main sort-of-Leadership-position has gone to someone else (Littlefoot's grandfather) to booth, who is not even a Threehorn.  (<= racism hello :p )
And so not only does he suddenly have to discuss everything with other dinosaurs he never really liked because of their species, but he also needs to get them to his side to get things done his way. And he sucks at that: what logically follows are arguments that go nowhere because he is unable to accept compromise. But another major problem is that he has to accept someone else telling him what to do at times.

His changes over the series are not so much him becoming nicer, but more him finally accepting that he is no longer the main-leader for those around him and learning to live with that.

Dosu2Dinner

• Spike
    • View Profile
Sorry if I dropped into this a little late...

I personally find Topps misunderstood. What's good about him is that he shows that the world of LBT isn't black and white, as mentioned in LBT 7...one thing that I saw was brought up is him as a child. Well, in the third film he mentioned his father being very much like him - tough-talking and most likely proud and slightly racist. That's probably where he got it from, and unlike Cera, he didn't have the privilege of making friends of other species as a child.

Petrie85

• Cera
    • View Profile
I love Tops attitude a lot in this movie. He doesn't sugar coat things like the other adults do. He tells it how it is and when. I love characters that are like that. That is why I liked his character a lot. He didn't take no Bull from anyone. He was cut throat and that is what I liked about his personality. I'm like that and don't care if I am. And I also don't carer if people get offended if I tell people how it is. That is why I looked up to Cera's dad a lot in the movie series.

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
To any who hate Topsy: Think of LBT w/o him... You'll admit it'd be boring. Every movie/franchise/whatever needs a character like Tops/Topsy/Mr. Threehorn.
I don't really like him to be honest mainly due to his racism and him being mean to almost everyone but I'm far from disliking or even hating this character. He had some pretty funny scenes (I just say LBT 12 at night :lol) and I like his mate Tria (I used to dislike her in my childhood though) and his daughter Tricia (same) who'll make it into my Top 10 list, perhabs.
I must admit I like his softened version slightly more...
Inactive, probably forever.

StrutEggStealer

• Professional Veggie-Eater
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
I love this character! Topps is definitely in my top ten (and if hes's not listed there for some reason, then shame on me!!) favorites list.
I admit, he's rough around the edges and he can be quite violent and too narrow minded at times, I really admire him - for all his bad qualities, he is a really brave and loyal guy. He'll stand up to anything to protect his family, which shows his heart's in the right place. He seems very decisive, too, as well as systematic. I agree with what most members say about his not being in charge as that would certainly be enough to frustrate a character (remember Pterano? O_o) and make them act out.
But I don't think I will ever dislike Mr. Threehorn, especially now that Tria's shown up and encouraged him to come out more. (Plus they make a super great couple!!)
"Not all who wander are lost"
J. R. R. Tolkein

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I do find him annoying often, but I do like how over the course of the movies he does change a bit instead of being always the same all the time.

Daddytops2009

• Ducky
    • View Profile

Cloud5001

• Ruby
    • View Profile
Many of you listed him as a "most hated" character.
With all his mistakes I think that Cera's Dad is a most interesting character to examine. Looking at his attitude (and general threehorn attitude) in the original movie and his behavior in later sequels he may possibly be regarded (funny as it sounds) as a precursor of threehorn / non-threehorn relationships. I know this may sound stupid, but he came across as the worst racist in the original movie and he certainly had not abandoned his attitudes in LBT 2 and 3. There were later racist remarks in LBT 5 and 6 as well. Nevertheless he is learning. In LBT 7 he accepts (though he is very embarrassed by it) the opinion of the other dinosaurs as him being the one to delay everything. In LBT 8 we have him fool around with Littlefoot's grandpa. He won't ever ridden himself of all his prejudices, but he is learning and to some degree improving himself. This is something that cannot be said about many other characters. Most of them either don't change at all or else are so perfect already that there is no need for them to change.
What do we know about Tops' youth? It is very likely that he was raised in a racist manner. For somebody like that it would be extremely difficult to overcome prejudices. What tragedy befell him in the original movie? Where is his wife? Where are his other children? Whose children are Dinah and Dana (who by their looks don't seem to be the same species as Cera)? I think that there is a lot more to Tops than the "tough racist" as which perhaps he wants to be seen.

For myself Cera's Dad is just very hard to like, he frequently makes really bad decisions that end in either getting him or others killed. He blames Littlefoot for the kids always going off on their own, ignoring the outside circumstances that force them too,  3 of which are the direct result of his own stubbornness, and he's never properly called out for any of this. He does get more likeable once Tria comes around and he does soften up, but man is he far from my favorite charachter