The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Fanfiction Prompt Challenge Discussion

rhombus · 481 · 71097

StardustSoldier

• Bestest Friends
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
    • Ian's Corner - My personal review blog
I'll be participating for the first time this year. These prompts all look good to me as well. No suggestions for improvement. Mar/Apr is an especially creative idea, both the regular option and the alternative option. The summer prompt exchange will be a lot of fun as well, methinks.
:yum
« Last Edit: November 10, 2019, 09:38:36 PM by StardustSoldier »

rhombus

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Can prompts be started before the listed start date?

I got ideas for some of the prompts  :lol

Most certainly! :)

Go ahead and check out my fanfictions, The Seven Hunters, Songs of the Hunters, and Menders Tale.

OwlsCantRead

• Literally Guido シ
  • Member+
  • Ducky
  • "In the morning light, the evening star…"
    • View Profile
Can prompts be started before the listed start date?

I got ideas for some of the prompts  :lol
If work on prompts couldn't be started before the start date ala Nano or something I think I'll be in trouble, haha. :duckyhappy
Would it be possible for swimmers and flyers to get more love around here? Both figuratively… and literally.

That one guy who writes LBT fanfiction and accidentally makes them five times longer than he'd originally intended.

Sleeping-force's-inside

• Ducky
    • View Profile
I certainly won't have time to do them all (again, curse Reallife) but I'll certainly try to participate 8D

Anagnos

• Member+
  • Ducky
  • Keep it clean! Respect public property!
    • View Profile
I will try to participate in every one of them. I am just bursting with ideas for the December prompt and next year is most certainly going to be interesting. :)littlefoot

StardustSoldier

• Bestest Friends
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
I would like to participate in all of them as well, but we'll see how that goes. I still have to do a lot of brainstorming for ideas first.

OwlsCantRead

• Literally Guido シ
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
I will try to participate in every one of them. I am just bursting with ideas for the December prompt and next year is most certainly going to be interesting. :)littlefoot
I would like to participate in all of them as well, but we'll see how that goes. I still have to do a lot of brainstorming for ideas first.
Gee, you're both nuts! :P Not even I'm gonna go for everything. Most, but not all, and subject to good ol' time constraint... :o

Guess 2020 will be the year Sovereign finally gets really tight competition, though. :DD
Would it be possible for swimmers and flyers to get more love around here? Both figuratively… and literally.

That one guy who writes LBT fanfiction and accidentally makes them five times longer than he'd originally intended.

Anagnos

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
^The thing about ideas is that they can come when you least expect them. I got a ton of ideas last night when I was about to head to sleep. They can come pretty much unexpectedly to you.

StardustSoldier

• Bestest Friends
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
That is very true, Anagnos. In fact, that's why I keep pens and a pad of sticky notes on the end table next to my bed so I can jot down any midnight ideas.

And yeah, we might be nuts. But most writers are, don't you think? :P

OwlsCantRead

• Literally Guido シ
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Yeah, we're all nuts for committing to this challenge. We could have simply submitted a 1K post and called it day for submissions, but we just have to give it our all, didn't we? Overachievers syndrome... :P

Anagnos

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
^1k submission sounds like something that wouldn't exactly be easy to accomplish. The smallest amount of words I have managed to put down is about 6k words or so and even if my limit to the December prompt is 6-8k, there is a chance that it will go over that. After all, my August prompt was supposed to be 15k max. It ended up being 25k. :P

StardustSoldier

• Bestest Friends
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Yeah, we're all nuts for committing to this challenge. We could have simply submitted a 1K post and called it day for submissions, but we just have to give it our all, didn't we? Overachievers syndrome... :P

Well as a wise man once said, if something's worth doing, then it's worth doing well. :)

^1k submission sounds like something that wouldn't exactly be easy to accomplish. The smallest amount of words I have managed to put down is about 6k words or so and even if my limit to the December prompt is 6-8k, there is a chance that it will go over that. After all, my August prompt was supposed to be 15k max. It ended up being 25k. :P

Maybe that should be a prompt in itself, to write a coherent story no longer than 1.5k. :P

Anagnos

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Maybe that should be a prompt in itself, to write a coherent story no longer than 1.5k.

Oh no... :sducky

StardustSoldier

• Bestest Friends
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile

OwlsCantRead

• Literally Guido シ
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
How many of the prompts did y'all do last year?
Three, but two are incomplete... so, almost the same as the prior year. RIP productivity.

StardustSoldier

• Bestest Friends
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile

ImpracticalDino

• Member+
  • Cera
  • Be my lover, Littlefoot. <3
    • View Profile
I never really had any incentive to review fanfictions, except for special or specific circumstances, but perhaps 2020 will be a different year for me. I can’t wait to see all the submissions, this will definitely be interesting to observe. :)

Also, why do I feel the urge to join in on at least one? The excitement of everyone here is rubbing off of me I guess. :lol

^Don’t take that as any confirmation, otherwise be disappointed if a submission from me never shows up.

Discord! I'm howling at the moon! And sleeping in the middle of a summer afternoon...

StardustSoldier

• Bestest Friends
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Well I won't hold my breath then, but if you do come up with a story, I'd love to see it. And keep in mind it doesn't need to be that long. 1,000 words is the minimum length to qualify as a prompt submission. Or else the story can be its own thing, unconnected to the prompts.

StardustSoldier

• Bestest Friends
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
December 2019..............................Dec 1 – Jan 31

One word prompt : Exploration

Dialogue prompt : “Sometimes you have to find a new place in order to find what was always there all along.”

Major prompt: The gang is notorious for exploring new places and finding new difficulties along the way. Write a story where one or more of the gang explore(s) someplace new and, along the way, discover(s) something about themselves as well.

@rhombus: So we pick one of these three prompts, correct? The major prompt mentions that it has to involve the Gang. However, if I went for the one-word prompt, would it be okay if the Gang wasn't involved, so long as it still fit in with the theme of exploration?

rhombus

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
December 2019..............................Dec 1 – Jan 31

One word prompt : Exploration

Dialogue prompt : “Sometimes you have to find a new place in order to find what was always there all along.”

Major prompt: The gang is notorious for exploring new places and finding new difficulties along the way. Write a story where one or more of the gang explore(s) someplace new and, along the way, discover(s) something about themselves as well.

@rhombus: So we pick one of these three prompts, correct? The major prompt mentions that it has to involve the Gang. However, if I went for the one-word prompt, would it be okay if the Gang wasn't involved, so long as it still fit in with the theme of exploration?

That is correct. :yes Any of the three prompts would be acceptable and only the major prompt option mentions the gang.

Go ahead and check out my fanfictions, The Seven Hunters, Songs of the Hunters, and Menders Tale.