The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Need some advice

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Both results right here. There seems nothing odd with it:

This is when there's just Firefox running in the background (1 tab open) and paint. The only odd thing is the fan that is 99%, though I have no idea what that means

And sometimes in the second program I see this, just for 1 frame:

Machine Slave

• Ruby
    • View Profile
The weird values at TEMPIN2, FANIN1 and the percentages seem to be reading errors. You can ignore that. My system shows at one of sensors a temperature of >100 ?C, which is, of course, wrong. The reason is that the programmer can't know every specifications of all the used sensor chips. So don't worry here.

Paint and Firefox are not really known for CPU usage. Can you start a game for a few minutes while this program is running? After this the value at the Max column will be very interesting, to see if there is really a thermal issue or not.

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Actually later I tested it while running one of my brother's games (team fortress 2) and the results were barely different.

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.thelandbeforetime.org
Okay.  Let's run an old fashioned overheating test.  I hate diagnostic programs anyway and rarely use them.  Turn the computer off and let it sit there for at least 30 minutes.  Get a stopwatch and turn the sucker on.  Note the time when it turns off and record it in a notebook.  Let it sit again and do the test again.  If there's any consistency at all in how long it takes the computer to turn off, it's most definitely an overheating problem.  For example, if it's 32 minutes on the first test, 29 minutes on the second test, 33 minutes on the third test, etc.  If the times are off by a significant amount then it's most likely not an overheating issue.  Just make sure you let the thing cool off for at least 30 minutes between each test.  

If it's not an overheating issue, the next thing you should look at should be your PSU.  Unfortunately testing the PSU can be dangerous if you don't know what you're doing.  You'll have to use software.  If it's not an overheating issue, you'll most likey have to take it in.  If you didn't live so far away I'd say ship it to me, but that will be a minimum of $50 to ship it both ways (probably more if you want shipping insurance), and potentially expensive since the problem could lie with your motherboard (in which case it might be better to junk it rather than pay $100 or more for a new motherboard.  Adding to the issues, if it's a bad PSU I'll have to replace it with an American one which probably wouldn't work where you live. :p

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
^I would do that, but if there are no programs running (or little at all) it won't crash. My brother has had it up for hours when he doesn't do anything... Yet if he plays one of his game for an hour or so it always crashes eventually.

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
^Well that IS interesting information.  I wish you would have specified this earlier.  Do you have a separate graphics card?  If so, remove it and run the game.  It will perform like crap with integrated graphics but if it doesn't crash then it's likely the graphics card overheating.  Now you said that the temps don't vary much when you're playing the game compared to when it's just sitting there?

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Yeah the temps dont differ much, only a by a couple of degrees. And yes, we have an NVidia GeForce something. What would I have to take out ? (I don't know where the video card is in a computer)

Machine Slave

• Ruby
    • View Profile
Interesting, indeed. All the time we have suspected the CPU and the PSU, but it could be the graphics card that just overheats and shutting off the computer.

I don't know how familiar you are with this stuff. If you are unsure, ask someone for help. I hope my little guide here helps though...

You can find the graphics card if you follow where the cable which is connecting the computer with the monitor is being connected. Then open the case, look on which card the cable is plugged in... and you have found the graphics card. Remove the cable, remove the screw that holds the card in place. Before you remove the card, please touch a radiator first, to be sure to, uh... unload the static electricity charge from your body. Unless a simple touch can destroy the hardware. If there is still a cable connected to the card which goes to the PSU, remove it. Now, remove the card carefully and place it at a safe place where no electricity can harm it (wooden table...).

Take the other graphics card, which should be of the same slot type (PCIe 2.0 or AGP) and plug it into the same slot where the other card has been in. Make sure that it is plugged in steady (I hope that is the right word). Secure the card with the screw, plug in the 6 pin cable, if the card has a slot for it, close the case and connect it with the monitor. When the computer is booting, Windows wants to install the drivers to the card.

If the graphics card is the problem there are ways to get around it. There are so-called Slot Fans that can be placed near the graphics card to support the heat removal.

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
***BEFORE YOU BEGIN***
Make sure and ground yourself.  You can easily do this by touching the outside of the computer case (on the metal, not the plastic).  Every time you move your feet, ground yourself.  Static electricity builds up when you walk across the carpet and/or rub against something.  This static electricity can travel through your body to the electronic component and kill it (known as ESD or Electrostatic Discharge).  Make sure and ground yourself before touching the graphics card.  Also, make sure to set the card down on a smooth, flat surface close to the computer so you can ground yourself again before putting it back in.

You're going to need a screwdriver for the case and the cover to the graphics card.  The graphics card is the thing that you're plugging your monitor into (it makes more sense when you're actually looking inside the machine.  It's really easy to tell which is the graphics card when you're looking at it).  There is a locking mechanism underneath the graphics card towards the end of it (closer to the inside of the case).  Just remove the cover to the card, unlock it, and pull it straight upwards.  It should pop right out.  DO NOT FORCE IT.  Sometimes a bit of force is required to pull the card from the slot but if it appears stuck, push it back in and try again.

After you've removed the graphics card, put the computer back together and plug everything back in (the monitor goes into the onboard graphics which is usually a standard VGA plug (blue in color)).  Run the thing and play some games.  You might have to lower the settings on the games to make them actually playable.  If it doesn't crash, then it's the graphics card.  Get me more specifics about your computer and I'll recommend a new graphics card for you.

If the graphics card is the problem there are ways to get around it.

If a graphics card is overheating, you should replace it rather than put fans around it and hope for the best.  If it's overheating, this indicates a problem and it should be replaced.

Did you just recently install this graphics card?  If so, the problem could be that your PSU isn't powerful enough to support it.

Machine Slave

• Ruby
    • View Profile
Well, it would be a low cost solution for a temporary time if there is not the money for buying a new card. I should have mention that. Sorry.

@Mumbling:
Follow landbeforetimelover's guide. It's better explained.

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Thanks both of you, i know which one it is now and I'll try to follow lbtl's instructions sometime this week. Sadly enough school has started again so it will take some time before I can work on it. Is the standard graphic card already in the computer? Where can I put the graphic card when i take it out, just on a piece of paper or something? :)

I knew about the electrical discharge, but thanks for warning me again.

Machine Slave

• Ruby
    • View Profile
Just put it on an flat insulating surface where you know it is safe from anything that could harm it (like water, dirt...). Putting it into an anti-static bag would be recommendable, though.

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Is the standard graphic card already in the computer? Where can I put the graphic card when i take it out, just on a piece of paper or something?

Most computers come with integrated graphics standard and don't come with a graphics card, but some do.  And a antistatic bag is great if you intend to store the card, but hopefully you'll be taking it out and replacing it quickly so if you just set it up and out of the way on a smooth clean surface it should be fine.

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I took it out, sadly with no good result. We ended up buying a new computer, which is already more powerful than this old one. My dad likes it too (which is a miracle) because it's very silent.

We replaced it since it would crash after just a couple of minutes, even when just browsing the web or writing a document. I took the old computer apart and took several useful parts out of it. Right now I have upgraded my own computer's ram with 2GB.. If it starts crashing, i know RAM was the issue ;) If it does not, well... then I have a nice, quicker computer.. Anything better than my 512 mb :p

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
^That's really too bad.  Your old one was more than powerful enough for just about anyone.  It was probably the PSU or processor; both of which could have been replaced for about $100.  For the regular user, a Core2Duo and a Core i7 aren't going to be much different if they're both running properly even though one is about three times as expensive as the other.

As for your old P4, nothing is going to help that thing.  It's just too old.  You really should convince your parents to get the Core2Duo fixed.

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I love my computer more than I ever liked that one downstairs, Austin. My P4 is a diamond. :D

Thanks for helping me out, but this case is done :)