The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Going XP to 7? Please Read!

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
The new OS, Windows 7, is coming out by October 22nd, and many Windows users couldn't be happier.  We are looking at what could be the best, most advanced and most secure OS ever created.  It is said to solve all of the problems of Vista and have more performance than XP.

Now, after looking in several magazines, I have found some important information for those looking to upgrade when it comes out.

According to the sources, if you currently have Vista on your computer, you don't have to worry all that much.  All you need to do is just install the disk and not need to back up at all.  It'll be quick and simple.

However, if you have XP or earlier, you are looking at having to do the traditional reformatting of a computer.  You will need to back up your documents and important files.  However, unlike earlier ways of reformatting, this one will save most of the programs you have installed. (ie Firefox, Photoshop, Dreamweaver, Anti-Virus Programs, etc.) When you reformat your computer with the Windows 7 disk, it'll put your programs into a folder called "Windows old".  All you have to do is move the programs from the New Folder that has been made and it'll automatically install them.  Certain ones like Firefox, you will have to make the changes when you installed it again. (ie adding in Favorites, setting up Custom install, etc.)

Despite this though, several programs may not be saved.  It is unclear which ones will be saved, even though certain ones have been confirmed. So it's a good idea to have the install.exe files and disks ready, just in case.

Other than that, you are looking at everything else being wiped if you don't back up your documents, music files, pictures and other things.

Also, another thing, those of you who have now found you will be reformatting, unlike the traditional reformatting, where you will insert the disk, restart, push a certain button on the keyboard and then go from there, you will have to do it from the OS screen where you would normally install most programs.

After backing up, (most likely with an external hard drive.  Don't worry about what brand is used.  ALL of the ones currently in the market have been tested and work for this one.) insert the disk and run it.  After several screens of clicking on "next", it'll bring up a selection choice between "Upgrade" and "Custom".  Those of you looking to do the reformat will want to do the Custom install.  From there, continue clicking on next, following whatever on-screen instructions it gives you carefully, and continue like a traditional reformat.  Note that it'll restart your computer eventually, so be ready with these instructions printed out.

Once it's done reformatting, just put back in all of the files you have backed-up, reinstall whatever you need to and...

Congratulations!  You now have the new Windows 7 OS completely installed and ready to go.  Enjoy it! :)

I hope you have found this information helpful and will use it to the best of your advantage.

Thank you for your time and best of luck! :^.^:

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.thelandbeforetime.org
Stupid stupid stupid.  When you format or install a new OS, you should NEVER save ANYTHING.  The "upgrade" option is a total joke.  It takes only a bit longer to do a complete format and get it over with.  None of the computers I use on a daily basis have XP anymore (I now run Vista exclusively).  Even so, I won't be using Windows 7 "upgrade" feature.  I'll be doing a complete format.  

People just don't get it.  Taking shortcuts when it comes to your computer is NOT a good idea!  Just format it and you won't have any problems.  The only time I used the "upgrade" feature was when all I had was the Windows XP Home Edition upgrade disk.  I'd install Windows 98 then "upgrade" it to Windows XP.  But I got a real XP disk only a month or so after it came out, so those days were short lived.  But even when I did this, I did a FRESH install/format of Windows 98 before I upgraded it to XP.  Upgrading a computer when it's full of stuff is just asking for trouble. :bang

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Well, LBTlover, just remember that I was putting in the information that I got from various sources.  It was not my own personal information or experience in any way, shape or form.

Now, to how I feel about the "Upgrade" deal?  Well, to be honest, I've never really done that, so I can't give a personal opinion on it.  However, after reading what you have said, I would rather reformat with the new Windows 7 disc anyways.

Besides, I don't have much choice.  I really don't have Vista on my desktop computer.  I'm keeping Windows XP on my computer until 7 comes out.  I just feel it's better that way.  I've never trusted Vista anyways, even with the upgrade it has gotten with SP2.  I'd rather just wait until the new thing comes out.

So really, I can't say anything against or with the Upgrade feature anyways.  I've just never done it.

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://bluedramon.deviantart.com
I do plan on getting a new computer and I plan on getting the free Windows 7 upgrade; perhaps I could have them install it before I pick up the computer so I don't need to worry about anything.

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I've done the free Vista upgrade for a number of clients and it just doesn't go well when they've crammed their computers full of crap then use the upgrade disk.  The trick is they'll give you a license to the new OS which you can use in a complete format.  As soon as Windows 7 hits the shelves, within a few hours there'll be a copy of the *untouched* disk online.  I'll offer that disk from my server and you can use your license to legally use and activate it.  The upgrade disk won't do anything but upgrade the version of Windows.  It won't allow you to format your computer.

perhaps I could have them install it before I pick up the computer so I don't need to worry about anything.

That would be wise.  If you upgrade Vista (or any OS for that matter) you're only gonna experience a ton of unwanted problems.  Though I don't know.  If all they're gonna do is pop in the upgrade disk then I'd just do it yourself as they're probably gonna charge for it.  Better yet, wait till I get that disk on my server and use that.  When you buy a computer it's absolutely crammed full of garbage trial and crapware.  You can uninstall all that, but it's just never the same as a real clean install.

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://bluedramon.deviantart.com
Personally, if I wanted to turn my Vista computer into Windows 7, I'd rather go with the upgrade option, not the reformat option. For one thing it's most likely cheaper. Why should I spend $120-$220 on getting a 7 OS CD when I can get the 7 upgrade for free?

That's just my personal opinion about this. And anyway I don't even plan on upgrading my Vista computer to 7, so it doesn't matter anyway.

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
You don't seem to understand.  If you buy a new computer and it has a Windows 7 upgrade option, it's FREE to upgrade regardless if you use the upgrade disk or a real disk.  The license is what's for sale and what's valuable, not the disk itself.  The difference between a Windows 7 upgrade and a fresh install of Windows 7 is the fact that the fresh install will be more stable and it won't have all the junkware and crap that came with your new computer.

If you buy a new computer right now, it comes with BOTH a Windows Vista and a Windows 7 license.  Just use the retail disk that comes in a box and you can have a nice fresh install of Windows 7.  You don't have to buy the $120 disk (It's more than that BTW for a non-upgrade disk) in order to legally use your copy of Windows 7.  Just a rip or copy of it will work just as fine and is just as legal.  When it turns illegal is when someone takes a rip of the original disk and puts cracks and other methods of bypassing activation and/or using it without a legal license into it.

Petrie.

• Hatchling
  • It's good to be the king!
    • View Profile
I'll offer that disk from my server and you can use your license to legally use and activate it. The upgrade disk won't do anything but upgrade the version of Windows. It won't allow you to format your computer.

Why would you bother offering that when you said yourself its a stupid thing to do the reply before?  If you're that concerned about piracy or morals or whatever, don't offer anything.

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Why would you bother offering that when you said yourself its a stupid thing to do the reply before? If you're that concerned about piracy or morals or whatever, don't offer anything.

I'd be offering the original store bought retail/OEM disk, NOT an upgrade disk.  Though with Vista/7 1 disk has ALL versions of the software as well as retail and OEM.  The problem is the disks that come from computer manufacturers are stripped down versions of this disk that only include 1 version of Windows and don't offer anything but an upgrade option at this time.

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I have also found instructions for those looking to install Windows 7 from a USB Flash Drive.

Now, before you begin, note that you will need at least a 4 GB Flash Drive or bigger in size.  The cheap 2 GB just won't be enough space. (Tests have shown Windows 7 to be 3.74 GB in size.)

Also, note that doing this will completely format the USB Drive you tend to use.  So if there is any valuable information in it, please move it to a safe place immediately.

Now, the we have that out of the way, follow the instructions in this link and good luck.

http://www.intowindows.com/how-to-install-...-working-guide/

Tyrannosaur

• Member+
  • Chomper
    • View Profile
last night i upgraded to 7 using the Home Premium upgrade pack.

i only have a legal copy of winXP that i havent used in awhile. the Win7 disc didnt ask for any proof of owning a previous OS, it just installed normally, so i can confirm that you dont even need to own a previous version of Windows to even use the Win7 upgrade packs. quite cool.

i did a full reformat. but since i had the Win7 RC i didnt have a choice in that matter.

Win7 is the shizzl. buy it now :D

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
To be perfectly honest, if you want to save some money by buying an upgrade disk instead of the clean install disk (the clean install disks are MUCH more expensive), all you have to is install either a pirated version of Windows or just install XP with a fake key and don't activate it.  Then you can just go through the upgrade process and get a really cheap copy of Windows 7 (or Vista).  That's what I did when XP first came out 'cuz I didn't own a clean install disk....just an upgrade disk.  I'd install Windows 98 then 'upgrade' it to XP.  I would NOT recommend upgrading any OS that way unless the previous OS is a CLEAN INSTALL (meaning there's nothing on there but the OS).

Here are the prices for 7:

Ultimate:
upgrade:$219
full:$319

Professional:
upgrade:$199
full:$299

Home Premium:
upgrade:$119
full:$199

As you can see, the full version is quite a bit more expensive than the upgrade version.  If I were considering actually buying licenses for Windows 7, that's the way I'd go.  But no, I'm gonna get the licenses when they fall into my lap.  I never buy Windows licenses for my own personal use. :p