The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Anyone here ever read Tolkien?

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Yes the Silmarilion had quests in spades. the quest to get the 3 Simarils from Morgoth, who, you must remember was a former member of the Valar, in fact only Manwe was greater, so his power dwarfed that of Sauron, even at Sauron's peak. Sending the Istari against him would have been foolish, it would have been signing thier death warrants...
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Since he was a Valar, like Sauron is a Maiar.  I read, not sure if he really said it, that if Gandalf personally fought Sauron (I guess he meant Gandalf the white, his chance of winning is 50/50.  The Istari would stand no chance against his master Morgoth.  It would be about the same as Sauron or Balrogs or Dragons tried to attack Manwe.

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Yes, Gandalf's power would rival that of Sauron, and be dwarfed by Morgoth, the only ones who could defeat him were the other Valar. I'm not sure if Dragons were considered Maiar, I know the Balrog was.. and he was a match for Gandalf the Grey..it literally took everything Gandalf had to kill him..
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I assumed or read, that dragons were created or bred by Morgoth, though I may be wrong.  Though that doesn't mean there could not have been, potentially, some maia who looked similar to dragons.

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
well considering that there were no "good" dragons, one can assume that dragons were evil, had Bard not Slain smaug, Sauron would have used him to incinerate a huge area around the lonely mountain, and probably had him attack mirkwood and the Elves who lived there..
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile

Saft

• Ducky
    • View Profile
But also there is mention of dragons in the south (in The Lord of the Rings), they just (after Bard killing Smaug) became 'extinct' in the North.  

Presuming that all dragons are 'evil', could slightly be null and void.  After all, we know that not all wizards are good.  

Isn't Gandalf a Maiar?  Or did I read that incorrectly?

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
All the wizards were Maiar, as was the Balrog, and Sauron himself.. well, there no mention of Dragons fighting against Sauron..
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

Saft

• Ducky
    • View Profile
I apologise, that sounded really dim witted on my part.

Gandalf+wizard=Maiar.....

Mental block.  
Concentration isn't great at the moment, not very happy.  

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
It happens,  brain farts happen to all of us..
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I assume many may have read the hobbit and the lord of the rings and not know or have figured out what wizards really are.

Serris

• General of the Great Valley
  • Member+
  • The Gang of Five
  • The cyberpunk Deinonychus
    • View Profile
I have read the Hobbit.

Poster of the GOF's 200,000th post

Please read and rate: Land Before Time: Twilight Valley - The GOF's original LBT war story.

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Did you like it Serris? Have you read any of the Lord of the Rings?
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

Saft

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Serris what was your favourite part of the Hobbit?

(edit): oh and who or whom was/were your favorite character(s)?  If you had one.

When I read the hobbit, my favourite part was the trolls ambushing and discussing what to do about the dwarves.

My favourite character was the Eagle Lord.

Saft

• Ducky
    • View Profile
In case anyone is interested and in case anyone has not found this previously:

Thain's encylopedia
Thain's encylopedia

I haven't viewed all of it but it does appear to be a rather acceptable non-official encylopedia.

Just in case anyone is interested that is all, thought I would share it with you.:)

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
looks very interesting. thanks saft
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

Saft

• Ducky
    • View Profile
No problem Nick.  

I thought it would be nice for fellow Lord of the rings fans to view.  I'll try to correct the link though.  HTML and I aren't particular friends.

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I found another with info on middle earth.   It's labeled the encyclopedia of Arda.  Not sure if any would be interested.

http://www.glyphweb.com/arda/default.asp