The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

What is the excitement is this?

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
    • Knowhere: A Geek Culture Fan Forum
Alright, whenever we read a book or a see a movie where the young hero is raised by relatives or friends of the family, because his or her's parents are long gone for some reason, it is pretty much safe to guess that the parent will eventually show up...as one of the bad guys. Honestly, it was a nice twist in "Star Wars", but what is the excitement of having that be the case every single time there's a mysteriously disappeared parent in a book, film, or even video game. Why can't the hero ever be the offspring of the good guys anymore?

Not important, but its a little pet peeve of mine that I thought I'd bother you with. Any thoughts on this?
"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you." -Gandalf

NewOrder

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
    • No Sense of Reason
I don't think that happens in every story. Take Harry Potter for example.
The thing is people like family drama, that's why soap-operas are so popular, combine that with action, sci-fi, and a good plot and you got Star Wars. It's all about showing the human side of the character, you don't want your hero to become a larger than life character, outside of our rules, if he's very distant the reader or viewer will lose interest, you need to show his emotions and how he reacts in situations like that.
I'm hip, I'm cool. I'm a happening fool