The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

The World wide Mythology Trivia Quiz

Saft · 93 · 17748

jansenov

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile

Caodao2

• Ruby
    • View Profile
Alright! Thanks for letting me into this game! I guess I go now, so here's one:

What was the name of the Greek God of death? It may not be what you think it is.

Caodao2

• Ruby
    • View Profile
It is spelled "Thanatos" in the English translation, but you got it!

Your turn, I think.

jansenov

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
What are the names of two monsters that dwelt near rocks of the same names in Greek mythology?

Mirumoto_Kenjiro

• Cera
    • View Profile
Here's a quick one:

Name two types of fruit involved in a number of different mythological cultures.  

I.E. Both of these fruits have been debated to be from the Tree of Knowledge in the Book of Creation.

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
One of the two fruits would be the apple. Apart from being debated to be the fruit of the tree of knowledge you can find it in Greek mythology (the golden apples of the Hesperides which Hercules has to get, the golden apple of discord which ultimately sets of the Trojan war), as well as in more recent mythology from central Europe (the one that Guillaume Tell shots from his son's head (a motif that can also be found in the likely older song of Wieland the Smith whose brother has to do the exact same thing), the poisoned apple that Snow White eats). I'm pretty sure that apples are mentioned on more ocassions.
I am harder pressed for the other fruit. I know that figs are another fruit thought of as the fruit from the tree of knowledge (with their leaves being considered particularly suited to hide certain parts of the human body :lol), but I admit that I now will have to check out about its other mythological contexts so what follows know I looked up...
...aparently Buddha's bodhi tree is supposed to have been a fig tree. Muhammad apparently stated: "If I had to mention a fruit that descended from paradise, I would say this is it because the paradisiacal fruits do not have pits...eat from these fruits for they prevent hemorrhoids, prevent piles and help gout." In Greek mythology, the god Apollo sends a crow to collect water from a stream for him. The crow sees a fig tree and waits for the figs to ripen, tempted by the fruit. He knows that he is late and that his tardiness will be punished, so he gets a snake from the stream and collects the water. He presents Apollo with the water and uses the snake as an excuse. Apollo sees through the crow's lie and throws the crow, goblet, and snake into the sky where they form the constellations Hydra, Crater, and Corvus.

Mirumoto_Kenjiro

• Cera
    • View Profile
You got the apple, and since I didn't look up on the fig, I'll give you that too.  The other fruit I was looking for was the pomegranate.  It's been known a lot in different mythologies, and there were theories that it too was the supposed fruit from the Tree of Knowledge.  It's known better in the Greek mythology, especially the one where Demeter's daughter ate part of a pomegranate, for which she must stay with Hades for six months, thus starting the seasons.

Your turn, Malte!

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Not to make this question too difficult I will tell you right away that this question refers to the Nibelungenlied. Which character in this saga was, apart from being a fighter also known as a bard / gleeman (full name please)?
The town refered to in his "surname" to this day has a vielle (medieval fiddle) in its coat of arms in reference to this hero of the saga.

Saft

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Thank god for Old Norse myths....
Might have gotten it confused....but is it Volker Von Alzey?

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Absolutely right :yes
Volker von Alzey the gleeman and best friend of Hagen von Tronje.
Your turn Katie :)

Saft

• Ducky
    • View Profile
In the Anglo-Saxon epic poem of Beowulf, what was the name of the sword given to the hero by the thegn Unferth?

Saft

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Hrunting was the sword given to Beowulf by Unferth.  

-------------------------------------------------------------

In Greek mytholgy, how was the mythological horse; Pegasus created?

jansenov

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
He was born from the blood flowing out of Medusa's neck after Perseus beheaded her.

Since Saft no longer visits the forum, and I want to continue his game, I ask of any member with knowledge of mythology to say whether my answer is correct or not, so we can move on.

Blais_13

• Spike
    • View Profile
Yep,medusa's blood gave birth to Pegasus along with Chrysaor,and this is one thing that fuels the
ancient gods were aliens and machines theoryes.

Belmont2500

• Yet another wordsmith
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Since you didn't ask a question I might as well:

What are the names of the first two deities that were born in Greek Myth?(said goddess and god are often overlooked in some versions)

jansenov

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Erebus and Nix were born from Chaos ("vast empty space") according to Hesiod. But the myth about Ouranos and Gaia being the primordial gods is definitely older and was still popular among Greeks in Hesiod's time.

Blais_13

• Spike
    • View Profile
I have no idea about Erebus and Nix,but Ouranos and Gaia is definitely correct.

Now correct me,if I'm wrong,but I think it's jansenov's time to ask a question,since I only confirmed his answer.