The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Asking LBT production crew members for information

Hypno · 358 · 48093

Hypno

• GoF's resident deleted scenes nerd
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
    • LBT wiki admin userpage
Lol, here we go again.
Growing up I was a big LBT fan and had seen all movies and TV series episodes. On the forum, I was formerly known as Hypnobrai until Nov 11, 2017.

In recent years, I have gained an interest in the production of The Land Before Time, particularly the deleted scenes of the original film. New discoveries have been made in the last few years and continue to be made, so I feel that it is a good time to contribute.

I have always loved sharpteeth more than any other creatures in the franchise, especially the fourteenth film's Carnotaurus, the fifth film's Sharptooth, and especially the original Sharptooth.

I am a former administrator of the LBT wiki, having been active from 2017 to 2019.

(I'm a runner-up for the Appreciated Member 2017 award.)

ADFan185

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Yep round two hopefully he gives us a better answer

Hypno

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
I'm not sure.
We got a good answer last time, right? Good enough for me at least. It gave extra clarification for rumors that are no longer rumors.
Growing up I was a big LBT fan and had seen all movies and TV series episodes. On the forum, I was formerly known as Hypnobrai until Nov 11, 2017.

In recent years, I have gained an interest in the production of The Land Before Time, particularly the deleted scenes of the original film. New discoveries have been made in the last few years and continue to be made, so I feel that it is a good time to contribute.

I have always loved sharpteeth more than any other creatures in the franchise, especially the fourteenth film's Carnotaurus, the fifth film's Sharptooth, and especially the original Sharptooth.

I am a former administrator of the LBT wiki, having been active from 2017 to 2019.

Midnight

• Freaking Rawr!
  • Member+
  • Petrie
    • View Profile
    • http://icedragonnet.blogspot.com.ar/
It was a solid answer :)

I'm pretty satisfied with what we got.

Sovereign

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
It certainly is nice to know for sure that the scenes were indeed finished but we're still no closer to knowing what they contained. If we could get an answer to that, I'd be satisfied.

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Fingers crossed guys  :smile
Inactive, probably forever.

Petrie

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
  • It's good to be the king!
    • View Profile
Responding to Mark's original message:

1.) I'm surprised he responded, really I am.   Gary Goldman, not a surprise since he and Don a long time back answered fan questions on their website.  They've been willing to talk with fans in the past.

2.) I don't think there's anything else that needs asking.  We found out what types of scenes were cut (open mouth scenes with teeth) and that the cells were basically taken back to the animation studio and removed.  If the film wasn't finished, lets remember that cells and stuff in traditional animation do get destroyed and reused.  Don Bluth and co. never had the money Disney had to archive things just because they could.  The way I read into it is that the cells were destroyed and reused to finish the film and that it isn't likely they even remain in existence.  Mark didn't seem to indicate there is any warehouse somewhere they would be stored (this is Universal here).

Hypno

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Quote from: Petrie,Jun 27 2017 on  02:58 PM
Responding to Mark's original message:

1.) I'm surprised he responded, really I am.   Gary Goldman, not a surprise since he and Don a long time back answered fan questions on their website.  They've been willing to talk with fans in the past.

2.) I don't think there's anything else that needs asking.  We found out what types of scenes were cut (open mouth scenes with teeth) and that the cells were basically taken back to the animation studio and removed.  If the film wasn't finished, lets remember that cells and stuff in traditional animation do get destroyed and reused.  Don Bluth and co. never had the money Disney had to archive things just because they could.  The way I read into it is that the cells were destroyed and reused to finish the film and that it isn't likely they even remain in existence.  Mark didn't seem to indicate there is any warehouse somewhere they would be stored (this is Universal here).
Is this the same case for All Dogs Go to Heaven?

Petrie

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
  • It's good to be the king!
    • View Profile
I would say even more so for All Dogs.  That was released by some small time studio without Universal's backing.  If there's any stuff for All Dogs floating around its because they were held onto back in the day when the film was made ('89 I believe) and have been in collections ever since.

Hypno

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Well stuff WAS found for All Dogs, the extended Hell scene was found in full.

I suggest you check out this post I made for information.
Tell me what you think.

ADFan185

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Ah yes I can agree the answer we got was fine so I guess we shouldn't send him another message than

Hypno

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
What? But you wanted another message, but now when Petrie says that we don't need another answer you change your mind :crazy
The message has already been sent so let's see what happens.

Sovereign

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
We found out what types of scenes were cut (open mouth scenes with teeth)

Actually, that was a mere fraction of the cut scenes as Pudleiner said. We still have little to no knowledge concerning the rest of the scenes so I'd say we have a lot to ask.

Hypno

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Well we believe the Berry and Oasis scenes were cut due to racism, but the Berry Scene is unconfirmed for that.

Sovereign

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Well, considering the knowledge we have and the pace of the film, I don't think the oasis scene would run too much over 2 minutes and Spike's extended birth something like one minute and half. Even with those scenes considered, there's still 9 to 10 minutes we know practically nothing about.

Hypno

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Hmm. Okay, so there's that bit of cut footage in the sharptooth fight we still don't know of. You know, the part in the soundtrack that has the dramatic music?
If you want to know what I'm talking about, it's from 07:39 - 07:57 in Sharptooth And The Earthquake.
Take a listen. It's pretty good music too. Something must have happened in that short time, but what? In the movie, something is cut a few seconds before Sharptooth gets sent into the wall.

Sovereign

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
I've read Almaron's analysis about the soundtrack and I've listened to that part many times myself and I'd really like to know what has been cut there. Still, that's only 18 secs of the grand total. By the way, Pudleiner said the sharptooth scene was cut before the film's completion and the rest of the cuts. Do you think he considered the deleted minute of sharptooth scenes part of the grand total of 80 to 82 minutes?

Hypno

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Probably, if it's the grand total.

But there's also the scene where Littlefoot finds the Great Valley on his own before turning back to save his friends. We know that there was some stuff cut from that, the rest was in the rearranged ending.
After saying "The Great Valley" it then seems he gets really excited in this picture. I always picture him jumping in my head when I try to picture this scene.
Then he runs the waterfall and plays in it here.
Then finally he must say something like "*gasps* I have to go find my friends!" or something similar, as he runs up the waterfall here.
This whole scene's music is still in the soundtrack at 02:10 - 02:28 in The Rescue/Discovery Of The Great Valley.
The music where he actually finds the Great Valley ends faster and doesn't last as long as the music at the end of the track and in the movie.

There's also a Great Valley cel here. I don't know what scene that this could possibly be in, maybe the End Credits? A lot of music from that final track got cut.

Sovereign

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
I know the scenes and stills we have now but my point was even with this and the other scenes we know, well over half of the cut scenes are still a mystery. Even with the reorganized ending, I doubt the running time would be much longer than 1 minute. I've read the outcut scenes section many times. I'm sorry if I'm being blunt but we don't have to go through each of the scenes. Even put together, the scenes we know aren't likely to exceed 4 to 5 mins of the 11 or 12 mins. I initially referred only to those two two scenes because they were brought up.  ;)