The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

The Black Cauldron

babidikrakenguard

• Ducky
    • View Profile
:smile Not really sure if i already made a topic about the movie, if not..

Yup, it had to come sooner or later..  :lol

The movie stars a young boy named Taren who wants to become a great warrior one day but is stuck as a pig keeper. One day when the pig, Hen Wen, was startled, the old enchanter Dallben reveals to Taren that Hen Wen is actually an oraculer pig and that the movies big bad is after her..

Dallben sends Taren out to hide but Taren loses sight of Hen Wen and meets Gurgi. After a minuter or two, Taren hears Hen Wen nearby but she is being chased by Gwythaints which are Dragon-Like Creatures (Wyvern?). Taren tries to rescue Hen Wen, but she is captured and Taren is then forced to rescue Hen Wen from the clutches of the Horned King..

I shall leave the summery at that. All this time i had thought that the Black Cauldron was just as populer as any other Disney Movie! Turns out, it isn't really that populer and not many people really like the movie due to either differences from the books(Which i've never read) or the movie was to dark for kids.. When i watched the movie at my Grandma's House and down at the beach, i didn't think the movie was that dark. Of course, that's coming from someone who loved watching Jurassic Park when i was little. Dinosaurs always were the more dominant toys then barbie dolls.. :nyah

But yeah.. Anyone else seen this forgotten Disney Classic? I know Pangaea has..

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Sorry to say, but this is one out of 2 disney classics which I have yet to watch... I bought it on VHS recently from someone, so I'll probably be able to watch it at home sometime soon.

Ptyra

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
    • http://z8.invisionfree.com/The_Valley/index.php?
I watched this right before reading the books, the Prydain Chronicles. While the books were much more satisfying that the movie, which combined the first two books, I still enjoyed it. The character who sacrificed himself in the movie was FAR more missable than the one in the book (I pretty much said "Good riddance" when he went). Gurrgiiii <3 . I find it pretty odd that the Horned King was the Big Bad in the movie and he was hardly in the first book before getting smited. He turned out to be the agent of an even BIGGER Big Bad...who had quite the anticlimactic defeat.

As a film on it's own, it was really good, but if you watch it as a hardcore book fan, it's not...kind of like Dinotopia  :lol . Personally, I embrace both. (I just love imagining the Disney Gurgi herding sheep in the fourth book. "Master was an assistant pig-keeper, now Gurgi is an assistant sheep-keeper!" X3 . And trying so hard to spin thread. "Spinnings are for women's toilings <_< !")

Petrie.

• Hatchling
  • It's good to be the king!
    • View Profile
I would almost guarantee this is the only Disney movie I have not seen, and based on reviews, I'm not missing much.  Maybe I'll see if its online and go from there.

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
i've seen it a couple times, not the worst Disney movie ever, but not a classic either.
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

Campion1

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
I remember watching this on VHS at daycare more than 999 years ago and loving every second of it. Now that you you mentioned it, I think I'll look for this again.

babidikrakenguard

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Quote from: Campion1,Aug 5 2010 on  06:18 PM
I remember watching this on VHS at daycare more than 999 years ago and loving every second of it. Now that you you mentioned it, I think I'll look for this again.
I heard that there will be a special edition of the DVD coming out September 14th(Hopefully!)

Mirumoto_Kenjiro

• Cera
    • View Profile
This is one of the few movies we got on DVD.  Personally, I don't find anywhere near as epic as the Disney movies before and after it.  And I do agree it wasn't as dark as other movies of the time frame, but perhaps it was by Disney standards.

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I know I've seen this, but I don't remember much about the movie.  Must have seen it on tv in the late 80's or early 90's.   I remember I enjoyed it, but no real details.

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
    • Knowhere: A Geek Culture Fan Forum
I couldn't stand the film because of several things.
1. Fortune telling pig. Couldn't handle that.
2. The boy "hero" is a frikkin moron whose uselessness rivels that of Bella from Twilight.
3. The Creeper is an insipidly annoyingly character and everything that was ever wrong with any Disney film ever.
4. Seriously, what was the point of the bard? They already a comic relief character in the little furry guy.
5. How easily the forces of darkness fell.

Things I did like:

1. The girl and her wisp.
2. The three witches. They were the best part altogether.
3. The Horned King. Creepiest Disney villain ever.
4. The scary skeleton warriors. They were badass for being Disney minions.
5. "Crunchies and munchies here somwhere!"
"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you." -Gandalf

Saft

• Ducky
    • View Profile
I have seen the film, haven't read the books..perhaps that is a failing there in other opinion but, it wasn't that bad of a disney movie.  

I think it failed mainly because parents took their children to see the film, possibly thinking that it was going to be something like The sword in the Stone...since it's of similiar ''fantasy'' basis.  

I can't say much about the books but again, it's not a bad disney film like Home on the range...*shudders*.

Sorry to hijack the thread for a bit, but speaking of under-rated disney movies..what are others that you would class as?
-Atlantis is one for me.