The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

About the latest version of the game

action9000 · 945 · 77487

Grungecat

• Chomper
    • View Profile
Quote from: action9000,Aug 11 2009 on  12:21 AM
A list of hosted games (or indication if none are being played) would be desirable.
That's actually virtually impossible using the multiplayer engine that I am.  The code demands entry of an IP address.  The *only* way I could do something like this would be to create a 'favorites' list of everyone we know who could potentially be hosting a game and automatically attempt to connect to all of them, report back which ones connected and which ones failed, make a list and let you choose one.

While this is technically plausible, it would take 1 to 5 seconds for each connection and we would need to assemble a list of computers that could possibly be hosting a game.

In other words, we'd still be entering IP addresses, we'd just automatically be typing in the addresses one at a time from a prewritten list and recording which ones succeeded and which ones failed.  This is very time-consuming for the player because if there are even 50 people on your favorites list, that's suddenly 3-5 minutes of your time to search for all the existing servers...plus the time and effort to create a list of all your 'favorite' servers.

What I do want to do is let players create a 'favorites' list so you can just click the name of your friend or something and connect that way, rather than having to type in their IP every time.  I can't just create a "lobby" of all the active servers in the world though, unfortunately.
Ahh, I understand. A favorites list sounds good...unless someone can constantly keep a game going (obviously never shutting down their computer) and everyone could be together all the time if they so desired. :)

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
I would love to run a server all the time.  Ideally, a game like this would work better that way.  I just don't want to use that much electricity and bandwidth (not to mention, my spare computer is noisy! :p) to set up a spare computer to do that and I couldn't ask anyone else to do it either.

It's true though, that would be the perfect solution, then we could let everyone join the same game with a single click.

Grungecat

• Chomper
    • View Profile
Quote from: action9000,Aug 11 2009 on  12:26 AM
I would love to run a server all the time.  Ideally, a game like this would work better that way.  I just don't want to use that much electricity and bandwidth (not to mention, my spare computer is noisy! :p) to set up a spare computer to do that and I couldn't ask anyone else to do it either.

It's true though, that would be the perfect solution, then we could let everyone join the same game with a single click.
Haha..yeah..same reasons I didn't volunteer.

Grungecat

• Chomper
    • View Profile
Did some multiplayer with Alex. My Spike was glitched on Alex's screen so he only saw Spike facing one direction. Like even if Spike was looking Ducky in the face, Ducky was seeing his tail no matter what direction Spike was facing.

EDIT: But other than that everything was fine, connection and everything worked perfect. Kudos to you for being awesome.

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
be him swimming (ignore me if it's just the absence of animation throwing me off). The ability to play the game in a window would be a good addition (if an option like that doesn't exist, maybe I'm just not seeing it).
You're right.  That is how I'm simulating swimming on the surface for now, until we get an animation.

As for being able to play in a window:
That feature doesn't exist in the game yet, but certainly, I could put that in an update in the near future.  Shouldn't be too difficult. ;)

Spike was glitched on Alex's screen so he only saw Spike facing one direction. Like even if Spike was looking Ducky in the face, Ducky was seeing his tail no matter what direction Spike was facing.
Right, that's what I forgot to put into the game before uploading it! :bang

The direction you're facing is *not* being sent over the network at all right now.  It's not so much a glitch as just a feature that isn't implimented yet.  I'm sending your location over the network but not the angle you're facing.  I'll try to remember to fix that for the next version, too. :p

Grungecat

• Chomper
    • View Profile
By the way, what language is the game programmed in? Something with a "C" in it, I presume?

Flathead770

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
wow, lots of updates, its looking awesome. The only thing i noticed is that the in-game music would keep playing even though i've went back to the main menu. Other than that, everything is great.

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://bluedramon.deviantart.com
It might just be me, but when I tried out Littlefoot and decided to switch to Ducky, when I pressed to go the Main Menu where I could select a new character, upon selecting Ducky and waiting for the game to restart, it froze. Seems I have to actually exit out of the game altogether before I could start up a new game.

Belmont2500

• Yet another wordsmith
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
I check the offical site Mumbling mentioned and I noticed V 0.21 is up for download there before I decide to download it I want to ask if it has everything you told us about in the last few days.

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile

Belmont2500

• Yet another wordsmith
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
I just found out, everytime I start a game I can't help but leave it at the the menu to listen to the nice music playing there, the in-game music is great too and that's another update to keep me waiting for the final version  :smile

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
The music in the game so far is just temporary but it's a rough idea of the sort of music I'll be composing for the game later on.  I'm glad you like my choices of music so far! :)

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
The only thing i noticed is that the in-game music would keep playing even though i've went back to the main menu.
Fixed. :p
I just forgot to stop the music when you go back to the main menu.  Thanks for finding that! :D

Belmont2500

• Yet another wordsmith
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
so in the next update(if there is one) the in game music won't keep playing if you go to menu speaking of which in the options menu you should have a feature that allows you to set whatever track as etheir the menu music or in-game music :idea  (I would enjoy listening to the menu track while running through the valley(or that part of it)).

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
should have a feature that allows you to set whatever track as etheir the menu music or in-game music
I'm not going to add that feature because eventually, every region of the game will have its own assigned music.  This means that I'd just have to take this feature out again once the game is closer to being completed.

If you really want to listen to the main menu music while running around the valley, open the
Audio/Music/Main Title.mp3 file in whatever media player you use and turn the in-game sound off while leaving your music player running in the background. ;)

Grungecat

• Chomper
    • View Profile
Part of the menu's current music vaguely reminded me of the Jurrasic Park music at parts. I love it.

Belmont2500

• Yet another wordsmith
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
yeah I love the dramatic buildup at the beginning it just gets you ready.

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
It looks like I've given myself a pretty good challenge here: :p

To write a title music theme that people like more than the temporary music.  :lol