The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

About the latest version of the game

action9000 · 945 · 75445

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Quote from: Sky,Jan 10 2010 on  04:37 PM
This one: Install Creator? Not quite sure... but it has a purple icon. :p

That's a huge improvement! Really great!  :o
I figured, when you go to the water, the "Air" window shows up. But when I go a few steps back until the window disappeares and go forward again, the window isn't showing anymore. =/
That has happened to me before as well... I think it's a combination of the angle you held your camera and you enter the water, not sure though.

I did encounter a problem myself though, but I don't know if it's a real glitch or if it was because I was playing as the flyer, which is still a square now. I was able to pass through one of the NPCs (the large one near Mr. Threehorn) and was stuck inside the NPC, unable to move, for a while until I strafed to one side and was able to get out.

If you were flying through the NPC it's quite possible that was the issue (because you might fly from some weird angle :P: )

You can always get stuck in mr. threehorn if you really want to, and tim knows that is possible but he can't fix it any better than it is right now.

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://bluedramon.deviantart.com
I wasn't actually flying when I got stuck in the NPC. I was walking. :p

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Ah, bugger, wrong guess then :p

It might be because the flyer model isn't there yet that the cube doesn't work too well.

I don't know... I guess only action can tell.

Littlefoot Fan

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Boy what a difference the textures make now :wow And I thank you for fixing the camera collision. It was driving me nuts :p :lol:

I gotta say though, my favorite part about this update is the day/night cycle. The transition from day to night just looks so awesome, it really brings the game world to life. What I really can't wait for is background ambience, like a breeze and birds and stuff. Maybe that's something you could consider in the next update *hint* *hint* :p

raga

• Petrie
    • View Profile
Yes!  I have broken the game!

Even over level 8000 if you're smart enough *knows the secret*
Why thank you for the complement  :D Your secret circle now has three

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
haha, Part of the next version will be trying to secure the savegame files to make them harder to break. :p

I'm also playing with the idea of storing saved games on the server.  I dare you to hack the files then, muahaha! :lol

and birds
they'll have to be prehistoric "birds" since this is a long, long time ago. :p

raga

• Petrie
    • View Profile
Darn it!  You gave away the secret!

I'm also playing with the idea of storing saved games on the server. I dare you to hack the files then, muahaha!
Hmmm...  <_<  a worthy challenge

Littlefoot Fan

• Ducky
    • View Profile
You're right about that :p Wasn't even really thinking in those terms when I wrote that. Well even if not birds, you could have insects or whatever. I just always really loved games that payed attention to great detail with the background ambiance. It makes such a big difference.

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
For anyone who may have noticed the camera collision is...less than perfect, I have some good news:

I just finished completely rewriting the camera code (again!) and I can honestly say that it is behaving very nicely this time. :)  I really hope this works as well for everyone as it seems to on my end.  I'm seeing the camera control I've been hoping for for ages, finally working!

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
I figured, when you go to the water, the "Air" window shows up. But when I go a few steps back until the window disappeares and go forward again, the window isn't showing anymore. =/
I was able to reproduce this easily.

It seems that ever since I formatted my computer, a lot of my code is behaving differently, even with no changes.  It looks like I have to rewrite my underwater detection code...again! :p

The changes should appear in v.25.  Thanks for pointing this out.

Littlefoot Fan

• Ducky
    • View Profile
It seems that ever since I formatted my computer, a lot of my code is behaving differently, even with no changes.
That doesn't even make any sense though :huh: Do you know why exactly that happened, cause I've never heard of that before.

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Quote from: Littlefoot Fan,Jan 16 2010 on  06:20 PM
It seems that ever since I formatted my computer, a lot of my code is behaving differently, even with no changes.
That doesn't even make any sense though :huh: Do you know why exactly that happened, cause I've never heard of that before.
Nope, it's exactly like that. He rendered the code on my computer which worked fine, when he rendered it at home it had lots of issues.

Maybe he's got a different version of the program he's writing the code in, but I don't know what's going on either.

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Wooooo! :D

Okay, I just rewrote my underwater code completely, using completely different programming techniques.

The result is MUCH cleaner code that is far less buggy and troublesome, while also using less memory (less data needs to be stored to keep track of things now)! :D  It works beautifully and seems to be unbreakable as far as I can tell!  It's simple, organized and covers all the bases of:

Not in water
Wading
Swimming on the surface
Underwater

as well as data that tracks which combination of transitions you're making, so I can keep track of whether you're going from wading to on land, swimming on the surface to underwater, swimming on the surface to wading, or any possible combinations, all instantly, so my program knows exactly what's going on, I have code to handle every combination specifically, and as far as I can tell, there's no way it can be confused now. :p

The new and improved code also measures the depth of the water at your position, which could be fun in the future of game development. ;)

I used to rely on measuring how fast you were passing through the surface and blahblahblah, but it was just a pain and problematic (not to mention the code was half-impossible to read).  This new system I devised makes me extremely happy!

Okay, with all the problems resolved that existed in v0.24, it's officially time to work on the server! :D

aabicus (LettuceBacon&Tomato)

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Rations
    • View Profile
    • aabicus.com

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Soon!  It will take me a little bit to write the server program and remove all the server code from the existing game, as well as make sure everything is willing to talk to each other properly, but with the release of v0.25, a live server will better-working multiplayer than ever before will be up and running!

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Step 1 complete!

My basic server program is informed whenever anyone starts up a v0.25 client and whenever anyone closes their client.  I also set up a console window which I'll be able to use for admin stuff, data tracking, interacting with the game, etc.

My plan is to have the server program run a 2d console which lets me read and write text to the game engine.  This will let me manipulate the game world, rescue players from bugs, start weather events manually, etc. I will also have a 3d graphical view which will let me see the same chat window as all of the players, as well as the ability to fly around the entire game world as an invisible camera.

The 3d "flying around the world" option can be turned on and off as needed so I don't waste electricity with video cards when the server is just doing it's normal server thing and I'm off somewhere else. :p  I want the barebones server application to use as little CPU, RAM and electricity as possible when running unattended.

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
A simple step 2:
The server now knows the location of everyone connected and I am displaying one of the sets of coordinates on the screen in this screenshot.

And a minor improvement: Grouping each set of coodinates together by player (first at the top, next one to join is below), as well as showing the number of total connected players on the screen.

I will change the formatting and blahblahblah as I work on it but I'm just proving to myself that it's behaving properly. :p

There is no real limit to the number of players, beyond my bandwidth.  I set the limit at 100 but I can change it as needed.

As you may know, I won't be allowing others to download the server program.  I will just be running it on one of my computers here at home.

[EDIT]

Just got a one-way chat system coded in.  Clients can send messages to the server.  I will get this more complete when I have time but I have to go to work now *grumble grumble* :p

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Nice job so far there tim! Glad you worked on the water too! :D