The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

About the latest version of the game

action9000 · 945 · 75486

Guido

• Ruby
    • View Profile
    • http://www.LBT.de.nr
Hi, have a question. What is the program that Action9000 used for the RPG. Guido greeting ^ ^

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
He does not use some kind of program, he writes the code completely from scratch using the DarkGDK C++ code library. (in Visual C++ 2008 Express Edition)

Other programs that are used:

Poser for the models
Photoshop for the graphics

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Well hey, I have some seriously good news! :D

After taking some time to get back into a normal life, I've managed to get the server functional for the next version!

I'm just tweaking some things and adding in some new features before the release of v0.25, but the server program is working beautifully!!

Once I get a few more features into the server program, it will be officially time to start up the server computer for the LBT RPG and welcome the game to the world of a 24/7 community! :D

V0.25 will be the first version to feature automatic connection to the LBT game server, where all players will be in a single world together.  This is a hugely exciting breakthrough for our game and am looking forward to testing it with the GoF community with the release of v0.25, very shortly! :D

Details of playing offline/online / how this actually works will be described with the release of v0.25.

Sky

• Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://hakunaro.deviantart.com
Wow! That is great news!  :lol:
It's also great to hear from you again.  :)

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
We're just working on some cool stuff right now, such as switching out the static 2d title screen for an animated 3d one.  Here's a screenshot demonstration.  Now, imagine the elegant word "Online" fading in over time and the camera rotating peacefully, showing off the valley. ;)

...okay I'll stop being so dramatic.  Still, I think it's cool! :p

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Tim... As happy as I am with you fixing the server, that options button sure looks horrible :P:

No worries, fix coming right away :D

Edit: and fix for white corners around the pick your choice box is already done :)

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Just finished doing some useful checks.

As soon as you start up the game now, you can see whether or not the server is online and whether you have the latest version installed or not.  If it all checks out properly, you can connect and join the game world!

Guido

• Ruby
    • View Profile
hi, that sounds really good, you can play online. Then we can make together Quest. also the other characters seem like Petrano or the mission to Eierdiebe.Als example, that one must obtain the egg again. Weird, the new version here as reingesetzt Downlod?. beautiful I think I can write through the Google translated some with you with you. Have learned in school no english ^ ^ greetings Guido :DD

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Okay, awesome!! :D
Iris and I had a successful test of multiplayer yesterday, running through the sever just as we will be in v0.25 and beyond.  The multiplayer worked flawlessly, with no internet/network problems at all, and connecting/disconnecting with the server was as smooth as we wanted! :)

This is looking fantastic and v0.25 is almost ready, after just a few tweaks and simple bug fixes! :D

Belmont2500

• Yet another wordsmith
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
The new title screen looks great, can't wait for V0.25  :)

metadude1234

• Banana Egg
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
yay! i feel so happy that you guys are back in business!
facebook.com/venomwargreymon

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Sounds like good news all around.  Going to take a break after this version?

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Sounds like good news all around. Going to take a break after this version?
Not likely!  We're having too much fun with this. :p :D

I just fixed a major bug that caused the game to crash if the server was offline. :p  The crash has been replaced by a simple message on the title screen:

You are still able to play Offline properly if the server is unavailable.  the Online feature functions properly as long as a connection to the server can be made.

Also, the "Options" and the box on the left have had their graphics replaced, now. :)  Thanks Iris! :D

metadude1234

• Banana Egg
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
looking forward to v0.25
facebook.com/venomwargreymon

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Testing of the prerelease of v0.25 is now ready!  It can be downloaded here or in the new topic related to this test!

http://www.mediafire.com/file/lw4zononmng/lbtrpg0249.zip

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Hey everyone, Please download this patch before trying it! You will get a version mismatch error if you don't.  I need you to run this version to prevent crashing my server!  Thanks! :D

http://www.mediafire.com/?yzjkjjyztym

Guido

• Ruby
    • View Profile
Hi, have me Rutergeladen the new RPG and the patch. With the online play does not exist. I have inveigled the patch in the new version or what do you have to do it? Greetings Guido :wow

Grungecat

• Chomper
    • View Profile
Ths is just a thought, but when adjusting the quality perhaps only the in game objects should be affected. The menus would be more readable and better looking, and aren't really relevant when the game starts anyway, right?

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Quote from: Grungecat,Jun 13 2010 on  02:38 PM
Ths is just a thought, but when adjusting the quality perhaps only the in game objects should be affected. The menus would be more readable and better looking, and aren't really relevant when the game starts anyway, right?
There is actually a reason I'm not doing that; I'll see if I can explain it: :)

(skip to the dotted line at the bottom if you want a summary)

1) In order to change the graphic quality (the screen resolution, in pixels, specifically), I have to unload and reload all 2d and 3d images/models/objects.  This is a physical limitation of DirectX / Direct3D and there's nothing I can do about it.  Changing the resolution unloads all media from memory automatically.

This means that every time we change the resolution, we have to be veeery careful about what we have loaded and not, because we can easily break things by loading something more than once or trying to use something that isn't loaded.  This is why I chose not to allow players to change the resolution once the game is loaded up, and why the choice is made before you do anything else.

Also, different monitors "like" different resolutions.  It's impossible to pick a single resolution that will look perfect to all computers.  

Impossible to get the perfect resolution + changing resolution after the game starts is problematic = the resolution on the title screen has to be variable and therefore the quality will be directly related to the resolution.

2) In order to keep the quality the exact same on the main menu, no matter the quality setting, we would have to create 2d images at each resolution that the game will support.  For now, that's about 12 resolutions.  Later on, there will be even more.  Picture this:

If you start up the game in 1680x1050 resolution, but the title screen images take up, say 10% of the screen in each direction.  That means the image is 168 x 105 pixels.

However, if we choose, say, 1024x768 resolution, to maintain the same-looking quality, the image needs to be 102x76 pixels.  

This would mean we would need to make individual 2d images for each possible resolution, without even knowing what all the possible resolutions are (that depends on your monitor and your video card).  The labour and hard drive space required, not to mention the amount of code I would need to switch out all the graphics depending on which of a billion different resolution choices was used, it's just not viable.

Right now what we're doing is just loading a single image and scaling it based on the resolution.  I don't assume the player has any particular resolution, I just stretch the image to always take up x% of the screen width and y% of the screen height, so it looks the same no matter the resolution.  The only difference is, at low resolutions, x and y are the same numbers but the number of pixels of the images is smaller.

10% of 1680 = 168 pixels
10% of 1024 = 102 pixels, hence the lower quality.  The only fix would be to make individual graphics for each resolution, so we don't ever have to stretch images, but this is not practical because the number of images would get out of control.

As for the text quality, Again, the font size is based on the resolution.  

In 800x600, I have to use, say 10 point font, which has very little detail.
To achieve the same physical size of text in 1680x1050 resolution, we can go up to closer to 18 point font, which is much more detailed, hence it looks sharper when shown on the screen.  If we use 18-point font for the better detail in 800x600, the text is too big and won't fit in the space we need it.  Again, there is no fix for that. :(

-----------------------------------------

If you dont' want to read all this, start reading here :p

What resolution (quality) do we choose for the title screen?  Every computer, monitor and video card has its own "ideal" resolution.  Also, now since that title screen is 3d, running it in a higher resolution than your computer can nicely handle will cause the game to lag BIG TIME on the title screen, which would just be a pain.

Basically, what quality do we choose for the title screen, if not the same one we use for the rest of the game?  That's the logic I used.