The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

District 9

jedi472 · 17 · 1563

jedi472

• Jedi Knight
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
I just saw this film's website, and I wanted to know what everyone else thought.

www.d-9.com

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
    • Knowhere: A Geek Culture Fan Forum
I think it looks like an excellent film.
"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you." -Gandalf

lbt/cty_lover

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
It is directed by Peter Jackson. But film angers me, because this means Peter Jackson isn't working on the movie adaptation of His Majesty's Dragon. Ergh! I can't wait for that movie to come out, especially after seeing how amazing the LotR Extended Trilogy was.

Lillefot

• Cera
    • View Profile
Hm, this looks pretty cool. I might watch it.
Do well. Live well. And dress very well.

lbt/cty_lover

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Okay, I saw the film yesterday, and it was AMAZING. I have no other words to describe it. If you are a sci-fi lover, you really should see this movie. You will love it.

aabicus (LettuceBacon&Tomato)

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Rations
    • View Profile
    • aabicus.com
This was one of the best sci-fi movies I've ever seen. It caters to every audience, and I mean every audience. There is some aspect of this film you will like, if not all of it.

jedi472

• Jedi Knight
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
This film was absolutely incredible, bringing together so many of the greatest things about sci-fi. The flashy action scenes, the existential questions, everything. And yet, though I loved this film, it disheartens me that the portrayal of humanity was so accurate. We act as though we are above racism and cruelty, and yet it is not a strech to imagine the scenario depicted in the film becoming reality. It serves as a reminder that we still have a long way to go.

Belmont2500

• Yet another wordsmith
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
I hadn't seen the film yet but from the looks of it and from what  my sister told me the film is a remake of Independence Day. While I usally hate remakes I actually want to see District 9.

lbt/cty_lover

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
I personally don't find it a remake of Independence Day. In Independence Day, the aliens have used their advantage to dominate the human race. It isn't like that at all in District 9. Trust me. I won't reveal any more, though.

jedi472

• Jedi Knight
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Your sister did not see the same film then. This was nothing like ID4, trust me.

Grungecat

• Chomper
    • View Profile
I saw it on Friday as well. I thought it was great, except the main character's accent made him sound ridiculous saying the f word so many times. :lol

I really liked the ending. The main problem I have with a lot of movies is I don't like their ending, but this one was great.

lbt/cty_lover

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Quote from: Grungecat,Aug 18 2009 on  12:42 AM
I saw it on Friday as well. I thought it was great, except the main character's accent made him sound ridiculous saying the f word so many times. :lol
 :spit I wasn't expecting someone finding that their only problem with the movie. :lol

Well, this wasn't over NY, Paris, Tokyo, or any of those cities. It was Johannesburg. So they all had accents that made the f-bomb sound funny.

jedi472

• Jedi Knight
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Why? What was your problem with the film, lbt/cty_lover?

lbt/cty_lover

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Oh no, no, no! I didn't have a problem with it at all! I just wasn't expecting that particular piece of the movie to show up on someone's list of problems that he/she had with the movie.

Oh, and I saw this on IMDb; the director of District 9 might come back for a sequel.

jedi472

• Jedi Knight
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Oh, sorry. And the sequel sounds cool, but I fear it may be rushed and end up being just an action movie, without the emotional impact.

lbt/cty_lover

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
I'm not sure when the sequel would come out. Not for a couple of years.

Spartanguy88

• Ducky
    • View Profile
I saw this movie two days ago with my  brother; and it was pretty awesome. The visual effects were astounding, and I loved the whole documentary feel of it. The camera was shaky, but not nearly as shaky as Cloverfield.