The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Deadlist dinosaur recruitment

REXBITE · 19 · 1481

REXBITE

• Ruby
    • View Profile
if youve seen my newest W2JP commercial you will know im doing a mini series on youtube called the Deadlist Dinosaur and i need 6 people to decied which of the two dinosaurs (of that show) are deadlier you will also give your opinion and the information to back it up but first i need to know if you know your stuff remember i need experts not amutures you MUST get at least 90% on the quiz below. people who get 90% are in ,but you must let me know. remember the first 6 people per week get in . PS i change the quiz every week

http://animals.howstuffworks.com/dinosaurs/dinosaur-quiz.htm

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://bluedramon.deviantart.com
I got 8 out of 10 correct. Only reason I got one of the two questions wrong is because there were two answers that would have made sense. So I wasn't sure which answer to pick. But I'm not an amateur when it comes to dinosaurs.

REXBITE

• Ruby
    • View Profile
Paradise Bird is in because it needs to be a 90 or up

Pangaea

• Member+
  • Cera
  • Contemplator of Deep Time
    • View Profile
I took the quiz out of curiosity (I got 9 out of 10), and I concur with DarkHououmon that two of those questions have multiple correct answers. And frankly, the answer I chose to the question about dinosaur wings (the one I got wrong, and likely one of the two that she missed as well) is probably the one most dinosaur experts would pick if they took this quiz.

Pronounced "pan-JEE-uh". Spelled with three A's. Represented by a Lystrosaurus.

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Correct Answers:   3 out of 10
Wrong Answers:   7 out of 10
Your Average Correct:   30%

I knew that would happen. Don't bother asking me haha :p ;)

Serris

• General of the Great Valley
  • Member+
  • The Gang of Five
  • The cyberpunk Deinonychus
    • View Profile
Hmm. I scored a 10/10 and I do believe that 2 questions have multiple legitimate answers.

Then again, biology is my favorite and strongest subject.

Poster of the GOF's 200,000th post

Please read and rate: Land Before Time: Twilight Valley - The GOF's original LBT war story.

aabicus (LettuceBacon&Tomato)

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Rations
    • View Profile
    • aabicus.com

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I got then all right 10/10. I was surprised.  Though there was 1 or 2 I guessed correctly on, and there was 1 that had 2 correct answers.  I'd rank myself as an amateur though since I don't know the fancy scientific names and terms.

REXBITE

• Ruby
    • View Profile
ok its done Pangaea Paradise Bird and Serris are week # 1's experts your can try again nex time on the next quiz for those three that made it i will keep you posted

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I admit I am not fond of the quiz you had chosen to establish dinosaur experts. Most of the questions in the quiz are very basic and easy stuff (such as the time dinosaurs lived and the most popular theory about their death). If you want people who are experts on dinosaurs, who know more than just basic dinosaur info, you'd need to find/create a quiz that has harder questions than the ones presented in the quiz you gave the link to.

Petrie.

• Hatchling
  • It's good to be the king!
    • View Profile
I managed a 7/10 which isn't bad because I'm no expert.  Perhaps that's a limitation of the quiz...it wasn't that hard.

REXBITE

• Ruby
    • View Profile

ok the first match up is an ankylosaur vs a tyrannosaur i need your predictions three reasons to back them up and maybe some information about these two dinosaurs that you can think of  :goodluck

metadude1234

• Banana Egg
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile

Serris

• General of the Great Valley
  • Member+
  • The Gang of Five
  • The cyberpunk Deinonychus
    • View Profile
The Ankylosaur is the largest member of the Ankylosauridae, a family of armored herbivorous dinosaurs.

-----------------------------

I am betting on the Ankylosaur.

The Ankylosaur is a low-slung animal with heavy bone plating along its back and its sides. If it crouches down, the one unarmored spot (the underbelly) is protected. The only way for a T. rex to wound the Ankylosaur is to flip it over and attack the underbelly.

In addition, the tendons in the Ankylosaur's tail are ossified, thus allowing the tail club (which can weigh in excess of 50 lbs) to be swung with great force. A direct blow to the legs would cripple the predator by shattering the bones and leave it for dead (or the fall would outright kill it). A blow to the head would probably kill.

Also, the Ankylosaur weighs about 4 tons or possibly more. Though it may be possible for a T. rex to flip it over, it would require substantial effort as the ankylosaur is probably crouched down at this point, thus making it harder to flip over as there are no "handholds". Also doing so would expose the T rex to potentially fatal blows from the tail club.

See this for a discussion on Ankylosaur tail club impact force: Estimating Impact Forces of Tail Club Strikes by Ankylosaurid Dinosaurs

Ankylosaur weight from Encylopedia Britannica

Poster of the GOF's 200,000th post

Please read and rate: Land Before Time: Twilight Valley - The GOF's original LBT war story.

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
What happened to the image? It's not showing up.

REXBITE

• Ruby
    • View Profile
ok the next five people that write a predition for the fight and a three reasons to back it up you will be an expert and i will put your info and username in the video the reason im doing this is im ready to put it together and a quiz shouldnt decied this GIT-R-DONE  :goodluck

aabicus (LettuceBacon&Tomato)

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Rations
    • View Profile
    • aabicus.com
I predict that the two dinosaurs would fight to a standstill. Dr. Gregory Erikson, a researcher with UC Berkeley, predicts that the Tyrannosaurus could bite with a force of 3,000 pounds. ? Researchers at the university of Alberta Canada discovered that the Ankylosaurus tail, it's main offensive weapon, had only a limited range, and a Tyrannosaurus Rex, who's capable of 10 to 25 mph, could circle around and keep the tail on the far side. They even began with, "An Ankylosaurus probably couldn’t kill a Tyrannosaurus rex with the club at the end of its tail." Especially if he could never line up a hit. ? ? Walter Coombs' research showed that Ankylosaurus didn't have spikes or spines on it like is commonly believed, so these obviously can't play any part in the "battle." The T-Rex's main skills are a killer offense and evasive defense. The Ankylosaurus has armor to prevent the T-Rex from doling any damage, but can't get any hits itself. Therefore, both dinosaurs (probably the T-Rex first, as it was more intelligent ⁴
) would realize the fight was futile and walk off.