The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Bad news

Spyro · 17 · 1516

Spyro

• Chomper
    • View Profile
Okay guys i got bad news my Computer was acting weird today going slow and that it wouldn't respond but it wasn't frozen, anyway I restarted it and then a little black box came up with u in it and it was for startup or something so well i might be off of here for a while.

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
What sort of symptoms are there, any new software installed?  Just asking since if you give enough info some of the computer experts here, not me sad to say, may be able to give you some help.

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.thelandbeforetime.org
I'm a computer repair technician.  Maybe I can help.  But you'll have to explain the situation better.  I didn't understand anything in that last post of yours.  I'll need specifics about the error you encountered.

Spyro

• Chomper
    • View Profile
Quote from: landbeforetimelover,Aug 29 2009 on  11:14 PM
I'm a computer repair technician.  Maybe I can help.  But you'll have to explain the situation better.  I didn't understand anything in that last post of yours.  I'll need specifics about the error you encountered.
Well the Computer has been a bit slow ever since Dad got Netspace and I went on the net today and I was on a Webpage then when I went to go back the Computer got slow and then all 3 of my pages were slowly responding but the one I used to make it go back was not responding so I went to close it and as usual the end now thing came up so I clicked end now.

Then I went ctrl alt del to fiz it then it didn't work so I clicked E-mail then it wouldn't open up so I restarted the Computer, then as I said before it started up went to my desktop then the black box appeared and the Computer keeps restarting itself.

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Sounds like an error that can likely be fixed with CHKDSK.  But you should get rid of Netscape.  That thing expired like 5 years ago and is no longer supported on any computer.  Get Firefox or another web browser.  Netscape is as dead as a doornail.  In fact you might have downloaded some infected junk claiming to be the latest version of Netscape.  Unless you downloaded it directly from the official website, I'd do a few scans for viruses.  If you've got Norton or Mcafee antivirus, get rid of 'em.  They're both garbage.  Go pick up a copy of AVG Free.  That'll get rid of whatever's plaguing your system.

Spyro

• Chomper
    • View Profile
Quote from: landbeforetimelover,Aug 29 2009 on  11:35 PM
Sounds like an error that can likely be fixed with CHKDSK.  But you should get rid of Netscape.  That thing expired like 5 years ago and is no longer supported on any computer.  Get Firefox or another web browser.  Netscape is as dead as a doornail.  In fact you might have downloaded some infected junk claiming to be the latest version of Netscape.  Unless you downloaded it directly from the official website, I'd do a few scans for viruses.  If you've got Norton or Mcafee antivirus, get rid of 'em.  They're both garbage.  Go pick up a copy of AVG Free.  That'll get rid of whatever's plaguing your system.
I didn't get Netspace My Uncle told my Father it was faster and he got it and we do have AVG

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Well get Netscape off of there.  It's on archaic piece of crap that hasn't been updated in about 5 years.  It's swarming with security holes and hackers and it can't even display flash right.  It's only compatible with Flash 7 and earlier versions.  Flash 10 just came out. :rolleyes:

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Yes Netscape is not a good browser anymore. There are several, let your dad check those out:

Internet Explorer
Mozilla Firefox
Opera
Safari
Google Chrome

Of course, there are quite a bit more, but these seem to be populair. I use firefox myself.

Ask your dad if he can read about all of those and pick the perfect one for you. I've used them all but was satisfied with Firefox because it can block all adds. Just check them all out and delete netscape, install the other one.

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Lots of web browsers to choose from.  I've not heard of netscape, nor used it for maybe 10 years.  Good luck and I hope it fixes your computer problems.

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://bluedramon.deviantart.com
Quote from: landbeforetimelover,Aug 30 2009 on  12:35 AM
If you've got Norton or Mcafee antivirus, get rid of 'em.  They're both garbage.
I don't really agree with that statement. I dunno about McAfee, but, from what I've seen, Norton is actually a great product, ranked #1 in 2008 I believe. Sure, the older versions were bad, but the 2009 version, and I believe the 2008 version as well, showed a lot of improvement.

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Norton is terribly bloated.  It increases startup time considerably.  Not only that but it's constantly coming up with false positives and asking for money.  I can't imagine a worse antivirus system than Norton, though Mcafee is a close second.

raga

• Petrie
    • View Profile
I'm with LBTlover when it comes to Norton, the thing is a piece of junk.  My laptop came with a trail version of it and the very first thing i did after starting up my computer was get rid of it.

And Spyro, I think you should warn your dad not to take anymore computer advice from your uncle.  I'm  sorry but I wouldn't let somebody who would recommend netscape even enter the same room as my computer, let alone take software advice from him.

Grungecat

• Chomper
    • View Profile
EDIT: Wait. I think he means he's using Netspace the ISP.

Petrie.

• Hatchling
  • It's good to be the king!
    • View Profile
He's saying Netspace, not Netscape people. :o :o :slap  Saying to get a new browser won't help him out.

Netspace is an ISP down under...maybe they had a slow connection or were fixing something that day.  Its not unusual for service to be disrupted every now and then if things are getting fixed.

raga

• Petrie
    • View Profile
OOOOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Now i just feel stupid  :oops

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Ah.  Well I'm not familiar with every obscure ISP on the planet.  There's like 1,000 different one's. :rolleyes: I only familiarize myself with the decent mainstream one's such as Comcast, Quest, and other similar services. :p Netspace.......never even heard of it before. :nyah