The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Ovie [and other new characters of the series]

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
The idea is that Ruby is the main villian of the series. Ruby has this plan to take over the Great Valley. She sends out different sharpteeth to try and take over and somehow the Gang of Five are the only ones who can stop Ruby.
Certainly not!
That's the way many science fiction writers think, but that's not the way the dinosaurs think. "Taking over the Great Valley". Admittedly we had that idea from Pterano, who was hoping to get the admiration he felt he deserved by making the Great Valley a paradise, ignoring that this is what it already was. Nonetheless there is not such a thing in the dinosaurs' mind as a war being fought between sharpteeth and leafeaters. The latter do what they have to, not out of vilany but out of need to eat.
As for Ruby, I seriously doubt they would pick Aria's voice for so vicious a character.

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I edited the title of this thread to widen the focus a little.

There is new information on a character in the TV series.
A fan in the Network54 Forum drew my attention to the fact that the imdb page about land before time TV series seems to have been updated. While there is still 9th August 2005 given as the status update date I'm quite sure that there are several pieces of new information which haven't been there before (or could we all have possibly overlooked that since August 2005? I don't think so). Namely they now listed Meghan Strange to voice Ruby (I'm afraid I may have failed to both mention and remember that not Aria but Meghan Strange is now going to voice Ruby which Aria mentioned in a mail from January already. I kept up antiquated information! While Aria in fact did record for Ruby it is not her who will speak Ruby in the final series. Shame on me! I appologize for my mistake.  :().
They also they list Pete Sepenuk to voice Redclaw/Screech a character / two characters who haven't been mentioned before. It seems to mean Pete Sepenuk is going to voice two different characters, or are they not sure about one characters name? Same as Ovie was changed to Ruby?
Maybe Aria is allowed to give us more information on this. I asked her about it.

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Redclaw/Screech?

Sounds like a villain to me. :)

Certainly not!
That's the way many science fiction writers think, but that's not the way the dinosaurs think. "Taking over the Great Valley". Admittedly we had that idea from Pterano, who was hoping to get the admiration he felt he deserved by making the Great Valley a paradise, ignoring that this is what it already was. Nonetheless there is not such a thing in the dinosaurs' mind as a war being fought between sharpteeth and leafeaters. The latter do what they have to, not out of vilany but out of need to eat.

Which is why I said...

Okay, bad idea... -_-

Anyways, I wouldn't be one bit surprised if Redclaw/Screech was the name of a villain for the series.  It just sounds so perfect for a sharptooth. :)

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
    • Knowhere: A Geek Culture Fan Forum
Hmm. They usually list queststars separately, so maybe Ruby and Redclaw/Screech will actually be fairly important throughout the entire series.
"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you." -Gandalf

trexmaster

• Chomper
    • View Profile
Quote from: Malte279,Mar 1 2006 on  06:48 AM
Actually there is one new piece of information. The character is not going to be called Ovie after all. The new name of Ovie will be "Ruby" which may render all theories of Ovie being and Oviraptor useless. There is no information on the species yet.
I'm thinking a raptor for Ruby; sounds perfect for a villainess trying to annex the Great Valley with sharptooth warriors!

Eh...never mind.

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I'm thinking a raptor for Ruby; sounds perfect for a villainess trying to annex the Great Valley with sharptooth warriors!
:huh:
Keep in mind that we are talking about a character voiced by Aria / Ducky. Would sure be interesting to have Ducky talk for a villain (as Petrie already did). As for "sharptooth warriors", I suppose the dinosaurs would first have to be explained what war is, and I doubt that they would understand that concept.

trexmaster

• Chomper
    • View Profile
Quote from: Malte279,Jun 21 2006 on  09:44 AM
As for "sharptooth warriors", I suppose the dinosaurs would first have to be explained what war is, and I doubt that they would understand that concept.
Well, the dinosaurs in LBT have shown plenty of signs of sentience and organization, so I wouldn't put the concept of organized warfare (or at least skirmishing and raiding) above them.

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
They lack the very basic causes that would create a state that could be labeled as "war". Sharpteeth don't fight for material purposes or for power, but merely for food. They don't plan to kill for "fun". Leafeaters on the other side fight to defend themselves, to live, just like the sharpteeth try to kill as many of them as they need to survive themselves. Neither side seeks to destroy the other side for good.
I do not deny that there is some organization (teaming up to fight rather than everyone for him or herself), but to call it war seems something of an exaggeration to me.
Oxford dictionary defines war as "the use of armed forces between countries or (civil war) rival groups in a nation". While I think that herds may be considered as fit for doing the part of countries or nations in LBT, it still needs some other cause, more difficult to satisfy, than food to create something like a war. Some kind of racist issue among leafeaters or hunting territory issue among sharpteeth may lead us to something more like war rather than a sharptooth's supper. Nevertheless there is always a high risk to anthropomorphise dinosaurs too much by letting them think and act the way humans would. As for sharpteeth, I don't think the larger kinds of them are likely to hunt in large packs. The smaller raptors seem to be more like herd animals, but again what should they fight a war for? Suppose that a pack of 100 raptors slay 200 other dinosaurs (thereby loosing 50 from their ranks). The result would be 50 raptors eating as much as they can but many dinosaur corpses just rotting in the sun as the raptors couldn't possibly eat us so many dinosaurs (unless they were all pretty small). So it would be much more logical for those raptors to attack and kill just one or two dinosaurs (taking almost no risk to loose anyone), eat their fill and then go for the next prey once they are done with the last. Why would they want something like a war?

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
    • Knowhere: A Geek Culture Fan Forum
Would sure be interesting to have Ducky talk for a villain (as Petrie already did).
With that innocent voice, if she does voice a villain, she just may fool us all. Its not all that unusally for Jeff Bennett to do more than one voice, he's a very talented voice actor. Just listen to his voices in the series "Gargoyles".
"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you." -Gandalf