The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Where can I find downloads of LBT TV?

Manny Cav

• Cera
    • View Profile
*bumps thread8 Can someone tell me if the 250 MB "high quality" episodes are compressed in Divx AVI format or not (where conventional video players can't play them, i.e. WMP, and you need the Divx player to play them)? Because I've been thinking about "upgrading" just to escape that, but I'm not going to hike the file size up like that if it means the same old thing.

Petrie.

• Hatchling
  • It's good to be the king!
    • View Profile
As far as I knew, everything we've been doing here is in .avi format, compressed with dvix.  Just go download the filter from the divx website and then those files will work no matter what player you use.

Manny Cav

• Cera
    • View Profile
Erm... I wasn't talking about the 40 MB compressed ones commonly distributed among the community here. I was talking about the original 250 MB "high-quality" ones commonly found on torrent sites.

Petrie.

• Hatchling
    • View Profile
I imagine they're the same.  Just about any movie torrent I've seen is divx compression and it fits a 700mb cd.  Like I said, all you need is the divx filter from the main website and you're set for any divx film on any video player.

Manny Cav

• Cera
    • View Profile
Ooookay. Does anyone here that actually has the "high-quality" 200-250 MB LBT TV episode files from the torrent sites know whether Divx is required to view them or not?

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.thelandbeforetime.org
I have all the LBT tv eps in full quality.  I only compressed them cuz my server box has a 50mb file upload limit.  I never use divx player anymore.  I just use the codec.  Try VLC media player.  It'll play them like a charm ;)

Manny Cav

• Cera
    • View Profile
Quote from: landbeforetimelover,Sep 24 2007 on  11:12 PM
I have all the LBT tv eps in full quality.  I only compressed them cuz my server box has a 50mb file upload limit.  I never use divx player anymore.  I just use the codec.  Try VLC media player.  It'll play them like a charm ;)
Sooo... the answer to my question is? :huh:

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
divx is not required to play them, but rather the divx codec or the VLC media player.

Manny Cav

• Cera
    • View Profile
Whenever I play the low quality files (or any video file compressed with the Divx codec), whenever I skip from one part of the video to another, it gets all garbled up, and pieces of the original frame stick to the viewing area for a while, which is the chief reason I despise Divx. This does not happen to me with normal AVI files.

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
the AVI is damaged.  You need to convert it to avi using a converter.  that should fix it.

Manny Cav

• Cera
    • View Profile
It's the AVIs I downloaded off of your site (and others, as well, including those I made myself). It happens to every single Divx encoded AVI file I download. I highly doubt they're "damaged".

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
They most likely are damaged.  You're on dial-up.  Whenever I get a file that garbles up when ya skip, it's been damaged during transfer.  It is very easy for a video to become damaged when being downloaded especially on dial-up.  When I had dial-up, almost all my videos had to be repaired.  It doesn't happen very often now that I have high speed, but It still does occationaly.  I'd try "allok video joiner".  It'll fix almost anything and ya don't have to join the files.

Petrie.

• Hatchling
    • View Profile
Quote from: landbeforetimelover,Sep 25 2007 on  02:25 AM
They most likely are damaged.  You're on dial-up.  Whenever I get a file that garbles up when ya skip, it's been damaged during transfer.  It is very easy for a video to become damaged when being downloaded especially on dial-up.  When I had dial-up, almost all my videos had to be repaired.  It doesn't happen very often now that I have high speed, but It still does occationaly.  I'd try "allok video joiner".  It'll fix almost anything and ya don't have to join the files.
Huh?  :huh:  Can't say that ever happened to me on dial-up.

Sooo... the answer to my question is?

1.) Go here and grab the divx codec

2.) Or go here and grab VLC media player to play those avi files.

No matter what, just about every single avi file is a container for a divx compressed video.  You can put others in but I've never seen it done.  You'll have to do one of these.

Manny Cav

• Cera
    • View Profile
The problem with you're dial-up theory is that I downloaded most of the episodes I didn't download off of dial-up on broadband. And, besides, this just doesn't happen to Divx encoded videos I download, it also happens to Divx encoded videos I make myself.

And the fact that it only happens exclusively to Divx encoded videos is also strange.

Manny Cav

• Cera
    • View Profile
Quote from: Petrie,Sep 25 2007 on  05:48 AM
Sooo... the answer to my question is?

1.) Go here and grab the divx codec

2.) Or go here and grab VLC media player to play those avi files.

No matter what, just about every single avi file is a container for a divx compressed video.  You can put others in but I've never seen it done.  You'll have to do one of these.
I don't think you understood my initial question. I want to know are the high-quality 250 MB AVI files of the episodes of LBT TV that are on the torrent sites Divx compressed? An AVI file that isn't Divx compressed will play in Windows Media Player normally; an AVI file that has been Divx compressed will not play in Windows Media Player.

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Yes they are.  Who uses anything else?  Most other encoding methods make the videos that are 100mb in divx to become many gigabytes (thousands of megabytes) in size.  It's not that much increase in quality too. :blink:

Petrie.

• Hatchling
    • View Profile
I don't think you understood my initial question. I want to know are the high-quality 250 MB AVI files of the episodes of LBT TV that are on the torrent sites Divx compressed?

Then I don't know...I don't like the series enough to download it, let alone high quality versions.  I said earlier that while you could (in theory) put any type of video codec in an AVI container, nobody does anything else except divx, so you have to download the filter.  Or get VLC and forget the pos that is Windows Media Player.

An AVI file that isn't Divx compressed will play in Windows Media Player normally

The only other time I have seen anything else is if its XviD or MJPEG....neither of which are exactly common or typical.

Petrie.

• Hatchling
    • View Profile
My last piece of advice, if WMP isn't cutting it and can't play whatever you desperately want to see, why not find some alternative that can play it?  Why struggle with software that isn't natively made to handle that file type?  Save yourself the hassle.

I'm done here.

Manny Cav

• Cera
    • View Profile
Playing the files aren't necessarily a problem. When I mentioned this before, I was directed to download Divx. Being on dial-up, I really didn't want to, and then, I remembered that another video player came with this "Total Video Converter" software I had -- Total Video Player. It actually played the Divx encoded files, but it had the forementioned garbled screen problems when one re-selects a position that wasn't present when playing regular AVI files with TVP. However, I suspect it's the video player causing the problems. Regardless, I can play the files, I just find it an inconvenience to have to resort to other video players than my "all-in-one" to play files that won't even play 100% right in the first place.

Manny Cav

• Cera
    • View Profile
Oh, well. Can someone give me easy links to better quality episodes, like 250MB instead of 40MB? Most of the torrents that others like landbeforetimelover speaks of are poorly seeded and don't download very well, or sometimes not at all. I know DarkHououmon sent me a few PMs with FileFront links, but I didn't have broadband then, and I deleted all of my older PMs.

And if anyone is curious about the video playing problem, the issue was exactly what I thought it was. The videos were never damaged, it was just the sorry video player I was using. -_-