The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Something that always bugged me

raga · 10 · 1252

raga

• Petrie
    • View Profile
Does anyone else think it was kinda odd how accepting Ducky's mother was of Spike.  These were dinosaurs that kept to their own species their whole lives, but the moment Ducky brought Spike her mother was completly accepting.  And beyond the whole species thing, adopting someone is a fairly big deal, but it didn't cause Ducky's mother any alarm.

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://bluedramon.deviantart.com
Not all the dinosaurs were as strict on the "keep your own species" thing as others like Mr. Threehorn was. Two other examples of dinosaurs who didn't abide completely by this belief include:

Rooter (He didn't have to talk to Littlefoot. He didn't have to try to cheer the boy up. Yet he does, even though Littlefoot wasn't of his species.)

The Baby Pteranodon (Even though Littlefoot was another species, the baby pteranodon still felt sorry for Littlefoot and still tried to help him, willing to sacrifice its only bit of food for him)

I agree that Ducky's mother is probably the most extreme exampl of acceptance in the first movie. As evidenced in movie 8, she took in Spike because there weren't any Spiketails in the Great Valley. However, this behavior is not new to nature. There are cases where an animal of a certain species will adopt an animal or animals of a different species. Such cases include a cat adopting a litter of puppies, a cat adopting a bunny, and a lioness adopting a type of antelope.

So I wouldn't be surprised if dinosaurs sometimes did take in species that weren't of their own kind. Probably a rare event, yes, but not behind reasonability, I think.

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
1 bit of evidence of Ducky's parent's open mindedness and non speciests is Ducky's reaction when she saw and 1st met Littlefoot.  She had no problem talking to him.  She didn't seem to react in any way that would indicate she had been taught not to talk or associate with non swimmers.  Unlike Littlefoot who had started to show that himself, though he quickly lost it.

Petrie is the same as Ducky.  He seemingly had no problem talking or traveling with non flyers.  

There are some others that are also open minded and not speciest as seen in some movies.  The mixed herd seen in the 7th movie.  The old one not saying anything to Littlefoot's grandparents about letting him associate with others not of their kind.  Rhett, as much of a jerk (and a lier) as he was, didn't seem to be a speciest.  Shorty didn't seem one either.  So it may be just herds from a certain area or areas who tend to be.

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
Aye, during her first meeting with Littlefoot Ducky not only didn't show the slightest sign of any problem to talk to a member of another species (same when she first met Petrie and Cera too), but she even went so far as to pretend being a longneck to win Littlefoot's acceptance (just imagine Cera doing that :lol).

RFZT

• Chomper
    • View Profile
Quote from: Malte279,Mar 22 2009 on  11:48 AM
(just imagine Cera doing that :lol).

I can't. :p

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile

raga

• Petrie
    • View Profile
I suppose your right, they don't seem to be as racist as Cera's father.  Still though, what if you had a daughter who just showed up one day with some other kid saying you had to adopt him?  It would be awkward at best.

P.S. First post from my new laptop!

Cancerian Tiger

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Being adopted myself, I never saw anything odd about her acceptance of Spike.  I actually thought it was sweet.  Yeah, like what DarkHououmon said, this is not new to nature.  I'm pretty certain dinosaurs were not exempt from such behavior.  BTW, her kind (hadrosaurs) are known for being maternal in nature.  I'm not surprised about this whatsoever.

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
Don't forget the circumstances of the first movie. The world was dying there. Many herds and families were torn apart.
Such times can bring out the worst in some but also the best in others.
Even humans (who as a whole seem to be more materialistic and oportunistic than most LBT dinosaurs) taking care of orphans in a time of dire distress when they can afford it are not unheard of.
Ducky's family didn't have to worry about food anymore and her parents were probably all joyous that they had not only reached the Great Valley but that their lost child had made it too. Ducky did not just "turn up"; her parents had good reason to believe her dead (not like Ducky had only returned from some jag). Their turning away Spike under such circumstances and in this moment would have appeared almost unlikely to me.

NeoGenesis005

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Lets not also forget this is an animated Show, almost anything can happen but the animators are doing there best not to make it to fiction.