The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

LBT films ranked by New York Post

Dr. Rex · 21 · 2800

Dr. Rex

• Member+
  • Petrie
  • Nah nah nah, nah nah nah, nah nah nah...imaginary!
    • View Profile
Hey! I'm not sure if there's already an appropriate thread where I can post this, but I found this really interesting 2014 New York Post article that ranks all of the LBT films from best to worst, complete with brief personal commentary from the writer. Some rankings are obvious, others are a little interesting to know about. I'd like to know what everyone's thoughts are on this.

https://nypost.com/2014/08/13/a-rundown-of-the-best-and-worst-the-land-before-time-movies/

OwlsCantRead

• Literally Guido シ
  • Member+
  • Ducky
  • "In the morning light, the evening star…"
    • View Profile
I read this a while ago, way before I found the GoF.

I won't rate III that high, and IV, VII and VIII are too low imo. Other than that it's quite accurate to my list. :p
Would it be possible for swimmers and flyers to get more love around here? Both figuratively… and literally.

That one guy who writes LBT fanfiction and accidentally makes them five times longer than he'd originally intended.

StardustSoldier

• Bestest Friends
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
    • Ian's Corner - My personal review blog
Interesting list. Thanks for sharing. There's some things I agreed with and some I didn't. But that's one of the neat things about a franchise like LBT; nearly everyone would have their own unique ranking.

I can agree with the top choice, as well as the bottom two, at least. :smile

ImpracticalDino

• Member+
  • Cera
  • Be my lover, Littlefoot. <3
    • View Profile
Interesting...some choices were blatantly obvious, others more debatable. But we’ll see how my rankings compare soon enough hopefully.

Anyone notice they used some of pokeplayer984’s video trailers of LBT in their article? Good for him! :)

And on a related note, someone made a “Tier List” video ranking all LBT movies from S to F on YouTube. Check it out if you want to.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=LaT6nN3V3iE

Discord! I'm howling at the moon! And sleeping in the middle of a summer afternoon...

Dr. Rex

• Member+
  • Petrie
  • Nah nah nah, nah nah nah, nah nah nah...imaginary!
    • View Profile
Interesting...some choices were blatantly obvious, others more debatable. But we’ll see how my rankings compare soon enough hopefully.

Anyone notice they used some of pokeplayer984’s video trailers of LBT in their article? Good for him! :)

And on a related note, someone made a “Tier List” video ranking all LBT movies from S to F on YouTube. Check it out if you want to.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=LaT6nN3V3iE
It's nice to know this video is a little more up-to-date than the news article (in the sense that LBT 14 is actually included).

Sneak

• Guiding lights
  • Member+
  • Cera
  • Welcoming darkness
    • View Profile
    • Submachine series
I was interested in link to rank tier maker page. Here's mine:

XD
6/14
0/26

--------------------------

ask me thread: http://www.gangoffive.net/index.php?topic=15601
my personal thread: http://www.gangoffive.net/index.php?topic=15412

StardustSoldier

• Bestest Friends
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
^Your tier list inspired me to do one of my own as well. :)

I didn't include an "F Tier" just because I didn't think any of the films were that bad, and still had redeeming qualities.

Oct 17 update: Decided to add a comparison to my earlier Sequels Personal Ranking, as several of the films changed position from last time.

Original ranking:
- The Land Before Time (#1)
- The Great Longneck Migration (#10)
- Journey Through the Mists (#4)
- The Mysterious Island (#5)
- The Time of the Great Giving (#3)
- The Big Freeze (#8)
- The Great Valley Adventure (#2)
- The Secret of Saurus Rock (#6)
- The Stone of Cold Fire (#7)
- The Great Day of the Flyers (#12)
- Journey of the Brave (#14)
- Journey to Big Water (#9)
- Invasion of the Tinysauruses (#11)
- The Wisdom of Friends (#13)

Current ranking:
- The Land Before Time (#1)
- The Great Longneck Migration (#10)
- The Mysterious Island (#5) (+1)
- Journey Through the Mists (#4) (-1)
- The Big Freeze (#8) (+1)
- The Stone of Cold Fire (#7) (+3 :^.^:)
- The Time of the Great Giving (#3) (-2)
- The Great Valley Adventure (#2) (-1)
- The Secret of Saurus Rock (#6) (-1)
- The Great Day of the Flyers (#12)
- Journey of the Brave (#14)
- Journey to Big Water (#9)
- Invasion of the Tinysauruses (#11)
- The Wisdom of Friends (#13)
« Last Edit: February 04, 2021, 10:53:01 PM by StardustSoldier »

RainbowFaceProtege

• Member+
  • Ducky
  • “Keep asking questions, it sharpens the mind…”
    • View Profile
I remember seeing this NY Post article before. Most of it makes sense, but there are a few movies whose positions I would totally dispute. :thinking The one they call "boring and uninspired" is LBT VI, but LBT III got the #2 spot? I've thought since my childhood that III was one of the most boring in the whole series! And VII, my favorite, is way down at #10 for no apparent reason besides the person who wrote this didn't like the names of my favorite characters... :anger :anger :anger

Hey, those tier lists would be good for the "sequel ranking" topic. Speaking of, I've been meaning to come up with my sequel rank list...but I'm terrible about ranking. :p

StardustSoldier

• Bestest Friends
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
I had my own post in the Sequels Ranking topic a while back. Although when I did my tier list months later, I found that a few of the films I swapped around from their original order.

Gentle Sharptooth

• Sharplord
  • Member+
  • Cera
  • Captive of Grief
    • View Profile
I was interested in link to rank tier maker page. Here's mine:

XD

That’s almost exactly my list, except The Secret of Saurus Rock would becin my A tier. Other than that its accurate. :)

“The Past is Gone..” -Dream On, Aerosmith

RainbowFaceProtege

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
The one they call "boring and uninspired" is LBT VI, but LBT III got the #2 spot? I've thought since my childhood that III was one of the most boring in the whole series!

Hadn't seen III in ages when I wrote this, so now that I've rewatched it recently I gotta say it was a lot better than I'd recalled. Still wouldn't list it as high as the guy in the video did, but it wouldn't be on my lowest tier, either.

NewOrder

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
    • No Sense of Reason
I had no idea this article existed. It's funny how different opinions can be within this franchise.
I'm hip, I'm cool. I'm a happening fool

NewOrder

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
    • No Sense of Reason
Decided to make my own personal tier ranking, here it is:

I'm hip, I'm cool. I'm a happening fool

RainbowFaceProtege

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Well, I can't tell a lie...I tried to do my own tier list, and aaughaghaghauahgh it was impossible!! :PCera

StardustSoldier

• Bestest Friends
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
^Hmm, can you narrow it down to your favourite and least favourite movie, at least?

Anagnos

• Member+
  • Ducky
  • Keep it clean! Respect public property!
    • View Profile
I'll need to carefully think about my favorites and least favorites before I get to making that list. Few are easy enough, but there are some that are harder to put into order.

Nanotyrannus

• Junior synonym
  • Chomper
  • i'll put something here eventually
    • View Profile
I'm not sure if this will show up here, but this is my stab at the tier list:

Anagnos

• Member+
  • Ducky
  • Keep it clean! Respect public property!
    • View Profile
No worries, it did show up. Some of these are pretty close to mine, especially Wisdom of Friends. I don't think anyone's too surprised to see that on the bottom. :smile

StardustSoldier

• Bestest Friends
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Thanks for sharing, guys. I enjoy seeing other people's tier lists. It's neat that with a franchise like LBT, everyone has their own unique rankings.
:cerahappy

Some of these are pretty close to mine, especially Wisdom of Friends. I don't think anyone's too surprised to see that on the bottom. :smile

Indeed. The first film being at the top and the thirteenth being at (or near) the bottom seem to be the only constants. :smile

Almaron

• Spike
    • View Profile
<blows dust off account> Whoa, this old thing still works. That was a nice little surprise...

Welp, it's been a loooong while since I posted anything here, but after seeing that Jenny Nicholson review I felt the urge to jump back on quickly to post some of my thoughts on the films. Time to quickly pilfer from a ten year old post of mine! :)

Hmm...Of all the sequels, the one I saw the most as a kid was 4 (only had that one and the original film), and I thought it was awesome for giving Littlefoot a love interest. I know I saw 2 at some point, because I had vague memories of a sharptooth baby.

Then, when LBT 7 came out, they ran an advert for it in a kids magazine I was reading at the time, and I honestly went "Seven? There's seven of these films?". So over the next few days, I went to the video store and borrowed the ones I hadn't seen. 2 I liked, 3 annoyed me (bullies), 5 was great, 6 I got bored watching for some reason. I remember watching 7 and loving it.

The next year 8 came out. This was the last one I saw for a while, because I rented that and thought it was bad. When 9 came out I had stopped caring (I remember perhaps one advert, but aside from that nothing). By the time 10 came out, the adverts were everywhere and I noticed them, but I was also starting to pay attention again because I'd heard on the imdb forums that Littlefoot's father was in this one.

I didn't see it, but when 11 came out on DVD, my dad bought it because it included the first movie with it. I saw it, and thought it simple kids fare (although I despised that Girls and Dads song...that note at the end just sounds off to me). After a while, I wanted to see the films again and catch up, plus I hated the idea of only having "Part 11" on the DVD shelf, so I started tracking down the films from the stores. I got 5, 6 and 10 first, and despite my memories, this time I preferred 6 to 5. 10 was alright, but Littlefoot's voice actor annoyed me so much that I rarely watched this one afterwards.

I think I got the three-pack next, with the first two sequels (I liked 3 better this time). Dad tracked down 12 for me (and I thought it was actually pretty good) and I got 4, 7, 8 & 9 at a Christmas sale. 4 wasn't as good as I remembered, 7 was still great, I liked 8 better this time (although I didn't think Ducky's voice actor sounded right anymore), and 9 was ok. Finally, my Dad found 13 for me. I actually didn't find it that bad (probably because my method of watching these films is to muck around on my computer with the movie playing in the background).

Out of memory, I'd say 5 & 6 are my faves, followed by 7, 12, 2, 3, 8, 4, 9, 13, 11 & 10. I certainly agree with Dino-doug about the animation, I love the way the newer films look.

EDIT: Although, now that I think about it, one thing annoyed me about the DVD for 12; the unskippable adverts at the beginning. When I got it, I sat down to watch the film, and was greeted with 5 minutes of unskippable (although thankfully fast-forwardable) adverts for Barbie. At the time I went "Barbie?! LBT isn't a girls-only franchise!?"

I really should watch some of these films again to see if my opinions on them still hold up...I tended to rank them more on the quality of the songs and the voice acting than the story and visuals, because at that point in time I was using the films to provide ambient noises (as well as a nostalgia buzz, of course) while I was playing games on a nearby computer, but a few of them are on there because I liked the ideas they were playing with.

Anyhoo, let's work backwards up that list, leaving off 14 because I barely remember the film (well, I liked Reba McIntyre's song in 14, but that and Littlefoot's grandmother nearly dying (and the replacement voices for Grandpa Longneck and Daddy Topps not sounding the same at all) are pretty much all I remember). 10's at the bottom mostly because, as I noted above, I couldn't stand Littlefoot's voice actor (his voice was much higher and squeakier than before and it was jarring, plus they re-used his nightmare scream in a later scene and that laziness killed any immersion)...plus it felt like he was oddly juvenile here compared to other installments.

11 and 13...well, these are some of the films I rewatched the least out of them all, so I can't remember exactly what put me off about them. I guess both stories were kind of dumb, and 10 just got ranked lower because of the voice acting issue. 9 is one I don't remember disliking, but I think it never quite appealed to me the same way it did other people on this message board.

I must say I'm surprised at the next ranking, though; 8 better than 4? I mean, I remembered 4 not being as impressive as I thought years later (let's be honest, we all liked it because of Ali, and the hint that she would be important in Littlefoot's future), but 8 was a film I really didn't like when I first saw it (although I mellowed towards it upon rewatching) and which I didn't like the music from at all, so it must have done something right to get that far!

2 and 3 next makes sense; 2 naturally pales before the original, but it's still a sweet and whimsical little film...a nice epilogue with a far less taxing adventure for our protagonists, plus I have a soft spot for the music in this one. 3 not so much, but I'm guessing there was something I liked about it the last time I watched it.

Now we get into the top ranking films, and these ones are fresher in my memory as a result. 12 was a favourite of mine for a while because I liked all of the songs as well as Guido as a character, plus I remember thinking some of the dialogue was pretty well-written. 7...okay, this one was probably there for nostalgia; the animation in that one is a bit choppy considering it's the transition point between the older hand-drawn style and the digital animation, plus the villain song is the only really good one in it, but the worldbuilding was interesting (insight into what the adults were doing during the events of the first film) and Pterano was a compelling antagonist of sorts. 5 and 6 took the top spots overall, but I'm trying to remember exactly why. I mean, both films have some really good songs in them (ignoring the screechy chorus of Always There, the bit where Littlefoot sadly sings about his mother is very powerful), but I'm not sure I'd call these stories the best of the series. Still, something about them was soothing; something I could put on and lose myself in in a way that the other films didn't quite make me do.

...I probably will need to watch them all again and see what I think.