The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

2019 FIFA Women's World Cup

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Australia rallied from 2-0 down to defeat brazil  3-2and stay alive in group play. a loss would have out them  in a position they would neeed a win and a lot of help to advance. now they have 3 points, along with  Brazil and Italy, although right now Brazil leads the group on goal differential at +2. Italy and Jamaica still have to play each other, and Australia still has Jamaica left to play. Italy if they beat jamaica will advance, pretty much regardless of what happens in their match against Brazil.
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
To respond top Chroniclers post, yes both Germany and France have booked their spots into the bracket. they both have 6 points with 1 game to go. in Frances case, its likely Nigeria and Norway will get out of group play as well. remember whoever finished second is guaranteed a spot, while for the 3rd place teams only the top 4 in points and goal differential advance.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2019, 03:44:58 PM by Nick22 »
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
China defeats South Africa 1-0 to get its first win in pool play. South Africa is all but eliminated.
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

The Chronicler

• Bionicle fan of GoF
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Over the last few days, the teams that are definitely moving on to the knockout round are France, Germany, Italy, England, Netherlands, and Canada. After tomorrow's matches, I'm expecting both USA and Sweden to also be guaranteed to advance.

"I have a right to collect anything I want. It's just junk anyway."
- Berix

My first fanfiction: Quest for the Energy Stones
My unfinished and canceled second fanfiction: Quest for the Mask of Life
My currently ongoing fanfiction series: LEGO Equestria Girls

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Netherlands defeat Cameroon 3-1.
 Canada defeats New Zealand 2-0.
 Both clinch spots in the Knockout round with 1 game to play.
 Cameroon and New Zealand will play each other, the winner will finish 3rd in group,  but given how the 3rd place teams stand in other groups the winner will likely need at least 3 goals and get their goal differential to 0.
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
i would peg japan as advancing as well they have 4 points through 2 games and play scotland next.
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
sweden crushes Thailand 5-1.  Good news for Thailand? they didnt get shut out again and only gave up 5 goals this time. Sweden advances to the knockout round.
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
US leads 3-0 at half. absent a huge collapse, they are headed to the Round of 16. they need 2 more goals to set a record for pool play goals- 17 is the record.
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
US wins 3-0 and advances.
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

The Chronicler

• Bionicle fan of GoF
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
I did indeed watch the match between USA and Chile. With Chile being another relatively weak team, this match made use of a lot of newer players to see what they're capable of. The upcoming match against Sweden will be the US's first real challenge of this World Cup, and although both teams are already advancing, the result will determine who they end up playing against in the knockout round.

Anyway, today's results means that not only are Sweden and USA definitely advancing, but also Japan will be advancing, as their current score is enough to ensure at least a strong enough third place to be among the top four of those. So that's nine teams confirmed for the Round of 16: France, Germany, Italy, England, Netherlands, Canada, Sweden, USA, and Japan. The third and final round of group matches will determine which teams take the remaining seven openings, as well as where on the bracket those sixteen teams will end up.

- Berix

The Chronicler

• Bionicle fan of GoF
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Groups A and B are now finished.

For Group A, first is France, second is Norway, third is Nigeria, and fourth is South Korea. Norway is now advancing along with France, South Korea has been eliminated, and Nigeria will have to wait and see if their third place result is good enough to advance.

For Group B, first is Germany, second is Spain, third is China, and fourth is South Africa. Spain is now advancing along with Germany, South Africa has been eliminated, and China has such a strong third place result that they're also definitely going to advance.

France, Norway, Germany, and Spain are now confirmed where on the knockout round bracket they will be, but their opponents are yet to be determined (though if the US wins their group, they'll end up playing against Spain), while China will have to wait and see which other third place teams will advance before their placement on the bracket can be determined.

- Berix

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Japan and China are basically guaranteed 2 of the  3rd place spots. so really 10 of the 16 spots in the bracket have already been punched. we simply have to determine what other 6 teams will advance,.  At this point I have tio imagine brazil will advance, as all they need is a tie against Italy to get to 4 points. i expect Australia will crush Jamaica, so they should advance.  I expect Argentina to advance by beating scitland, Chile to advance by beating Thailand, whoever wins out of Cameroon new Zealand should get enough goals to make it. i expect nigeria should make it as well. thats the 6 other teams.
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
 Australia Beats jamaica 4-1 and Brazil defeats Italy 1-0 to advance to the knockout round as the 3rd place team in the group. Italy, Brazil and Australia all got 6 points, but Italy had the best goal differential of +5, while Australia and brazil had +3 each. Italy wins the group, and since Australia won the head to head with brazil, they get the second slot in group.
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

The Chronicler

• Bionicle fan of GoF
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
With today's results in Group C (first is Italy, second is Australia, third is Brazil, and fourth is Jamaica), Australia will advance along with Italy, Jamaica (one of the four first-time teams in this World Cup) has been eliminated, and Brazil got a strong enough third place that they are also definitely advancing.

For the knockout round bracket, Italy's opponent has yet to be determined, Brazil's place on the bracket won't be determined until the remaining third place teams have been set, but we do know now that Australia will be playing against Norway.

EDIT: Also of note is that in today's match, Brazil player Marta has now scored a total of 17 goals in all of her World Cup appearances, which is officially the all-time World Cup record among both women and men as well.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2019, 08:46:47 PM by The Chronicler »

- Berix

The Chronicler

• Bionicle fan of GoF
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
With today's results in Group D (first is England, second is Japan, third is Argentina, and fourth is Scotland) England and Japan now have their places on the knockout round bracket confirmed, Scotland has been eliminated, and Argentina will have to wait and see if their third place result is good enough.

Tomorrow are all the remaining matches of Groups E and F. In both groups, the top two are already definite, so the only question there is who will get first or second for placement on the bracket. As for the third place teams, there are only two openings left, with six teams having a chance for them. Group E has Cameroon and New Zealand, and Group F has Chile and Thailand. If any of those four teams actually wins their next match tomorrow (a good possibility, since they'll be playing each other in their respective groups), Argentina will be eliminated. Nigeria is also at risk of being eliminated, but two of the other four teams will both need such strong wins that I think Nigeria will probably be advancing.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2019, 08:42:20 PM by The Chronicler »

- Berix

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Argentina was VERY lucky to escape with a tie, and to be honest, a tie isnt going to be good enough. i just cant see Chile not beating Thailand soundly. Cameroon and new Zealand should be closer, the winner of that game will need at least a +2 goal differential to pass  Nigeria who has a -2 goal differential.
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
New Zealand and Cameroon at tied at 1 with under 10 to play. both will be eliminated if that score holds.
 Netherlands leads Canada 2-1 with 10 to play. If that holds Netherlands will win the group.
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Cameroon scores in the final seconds to win 2-1 and advance to knockourt round. Aegentina is eliminated as is New Zealand.
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Netherlands hans on to beat Canada 2-1 and wins the group Canada takes second.
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Basically it boils down to this. Chile needs at least 4 goals against Thailand without surrendering any, in order to book their place into the round of 16.  Nigeria and Cameroon both have -2 goal differential.
Winner of these:

Runner up for these: