The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Pokémon Sword & Shield

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Pokemon has unleashed new information on Gen 8.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oOPVBm0sA7Q[/youtube]

I pick the Fire-type.  As for which game, I'm not sure right now.

Flathead770

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
I was pleasantly surprised with this reveal, both in terms that we finally got the official game announcement as well as how the game looks. I was expecting something very similar to Let's Go. Very happy that they decided to go more on the Sun & Moon look with having properly scaled buildings. Certainly looks very nice!

As for starters so far my initial feeling is to go with the water type with potentially the fire type as a choice as well. All 3 look nice though. Won't make a final choice until I see more in terms of their evolutions, fire types have had a bad run the last couple generations in this department in my opinion. Same goes for which game I'll be buying, not enough information as well as proper discussion with friends on which game/starter we'll be picking for trading purposes.

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Curious to see more of this game as we get further into the year. From the starters, I instantly fell for mr. grass monkey. I normally always pick fire types, but this bunny is just not it for me. We'll see by the time their fully evolved forms show up which one I'll actually go for.

I would've hoped for a let's go style and am a bit upset with the upgraded sun and moon graphics as I really didn't like that game. But with the reintroduction of gyms, I can see myself looking past sun and moons flaws and giving this game a fair shot. Not sure which version I'll go for yet, I think I'll wait for the legendaries to be announced before I make such a choice. Leaning towards Sword for the time being.

Flathead770

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Decided on looking at the trailer again and it seems they're sticking with the traditional random encounters as well as catching, at least from what it looks like (there technically could be a small Pokemon hiding in that tall grass). It could be that Let's Go was trying something new but they also could've been testing the waters for future games. Hopefully the backlash from Let's Go doesn't effect anything as I think the Pokemon showing up in the overworld seemed like a cool idea. I also still believe that an optional pokeball throwing method like in Let's Go would be cool to see. Keep the traditional method in but throw in the new method as a greater risk/reward type thing (Harder to throw, but better hits would have higher catch rates).

OwlsCantRead

• Literally Guido シ
  • Member+
  • Ducky
  • "In the morning light, the evening star…"
    • View Profile
They went back to the Gym-style approach after SM and the traditional battle style after Let's Go (my brother is especially happy about the latter), so this looks good.

I'm not 100% sold on this myself yet as it seems like besides upgraded graphics and better models there isn't much to sell me on this title as of yet. I mean, it's like 7 minutes, so I can't judge based on that alone.

Anyway, starters. I'm a sucker for the sobbing Water-type, which I really relate to, while my brother is going all in on the Fire starter.
Would it be possible for swimmers and flyers to get more love around here? Both figuratively… and literally.

That one guy who writes LBT fanfiction and accidentally makes them five times longer than he'd originally intended.

aabicus (LettuceBacon&Tomato)

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Rations
    • View Profile
    • aabicus.com
Hahahaha British Pokemon region! The forums have been filled with jokes about porting British stuffiness into the Pokemon structure. It's just a shame there's no way Nintendo will allow the devs to poke too much fun at the cockney codswallops

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Here is the latest info on the upcoming Pokemon Sword and Shield games.

https://youtu.be/PpjVUOJkX-s

There's a lot here.  Need time to give my thoughts.

aabicus (LettuceBacon&Tomato)

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Rations
    • View Profile
    • aabicus.com
Watching this gave me flashbacks to that Pokémon mod for ARK Survival Evolved. Corviknight in particular looks exactly like ARK’s Argentavis. Plus my favorite Pokémon Rotom has even MORE features and narrative functionality! Definitely looking forward to this

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Decided to merge the two Pokémon Direct topics into 1 Sword & Shield topic for a more centralized discussion.

Will edit this post later with my thoughts!

Edit:
So, first of all, the free camera/open world approach looks amazing and it was very unexpected.  :olittlefoot

I hope it will be available in more areas than the 'overworld', but they haven't shown that so far.

Dynamaxing... Meh. Like all other battle modifications they have been introducing since X&Y, I am not interested. Mega evolutions, Z moves, all just temporary improvements that add little to my experience of the game. I could do without.

The newly revealed Pokémon look nice. I like all of their designs. I'm rather confused as to whether there will be random encounters, or encounters like in Lets Go, or both. I could do without random encounters to be honest - I didn't miss them at all when adventuring through Lets Go.

Raid battles look fun. Perhaps we can get a GoF raid team together!

All in all I'm a bit more convinced now to buy the game. I'll probably go for Sword, based on the looks of the legendaries.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2019, 04:38:23 AM by Mumbling »

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Okay, they're really going to have to sell me on the Dynamax thing.  I don't think it's a good idea as we know it right now.  Let's just say that the battling aspect will be broken in half if you can combine it with Mega Evolution.  However, if they make it and so that Mega Evolution and Z-moves CAN'T be used, I might like it more.

Many are now expecting a "Let's Go" sort of thing when running into Pokemon.  Basically, you will see the Pokemon in the wild, but will have to still battle them to capture them.  I'd like that if it turns out to be the case.

As for the new Pokemon, I'm liking them to an extent.  I definitely like Corviknight.  It's not often I have bird Pokemon on my team, but I might make an exception here.  Wooloo definitely grew in popularity overnight and is already paired with the most likely candidate, Mareep.  As for the Legendary Pokemon, I might go for Shield now.  I was thinking Sword on name alone, but that Shield one has sold me on Shield now.  The rest are just okay.  I'll have to try them all out.

Well, that's all for now.  I just need to wait for more Pokemon and the evil team.  Let's see how that all goes.

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Okay, we got a good amount dropped.  The title of the following video alone makes my jaw drop.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rp3d6JyDjfs

18 Gym Leaders!? :opetrie I'm guessing one for each type, but still, this will be interesting.

ImpracticalDino

• Member+
  • Cera
  • Be my lover, Littlefoot. <3
    • View Profile
It has been more than a week since the 24 hour livestream of Pokemon Sword & Shield that took place in the Glimwood Tangle Forest, but I'll still mention it here for anyone who missed the news. It started on October 4, 2019. The entire video was literally footage of trees and bioluminescent mushrooms in one spot, no moving around or nothing. People who watched it sat there waiting forever for any sort of slight movement, only to be disappointed to find out it is nothing or an already existing Pokemon. I can't comprehend why people would tune in to this and waste their time when they could be doing other better or more productive things. And besides, they could've waited until after the livestream and search up all of the information revealed regarding it. It is found on Serebii by the way. There was apparently only 7 minutes worth of content in the entire video. The only new Pokemon that was revealed in 24 hours anyway was a Galarian Ponyta. I think it looks cool, but still a complete waste of time in my opinion. They released a reveal trailer of Galarian Ponyta just five days ago as well, and I think they would've been better off with just the reveal trailer. I do give credit for the fact that Gamefreak actually tried something new for once to keep the content fresh, but in my opinion the execution was just horrible. The idea of mimicking a normal "nature observation" just doesn't work for something like this. Who would observe nature by standing in one place for 24 hours anyway? What would've been cool to see was an actual trainer traversing the forest and taking snapshots of various kinds of Pokemon, whether they would be idling, battling, playing, or maybe even interacting with the cameraman too. This is not my idea if you're wondering, I just saw the idea from a random person in the YouTube comments section, and I thought it would've been brilliant. If you're wondering, I only found out about the trailer after the fact, and I was overall disappointed. It was described as a "live wallpaper" by many.

These are my thoughts regarding the livestream. What are yours?
« Last Edit: October 14, 2019, 06:42:09 PM by ImpracticalDino »

Discord! I'm howling at the moon! And sleeping in the middle of a summer afternoon...

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Okay, over the weekend, there have been MASSIVE leaks online.  I mean, HUGE leaks.  Basically, someone got the game early and is just revealing everything as they play the game.  Pictures and all.  We have all the starter evolutions, Galar forms, evolutions for the Galar forms and even Legendaries.  Just look around a bit and I'm sure you'll find some new stuff.

Based on the new evolutions for the starters, Sobble has fallen in popularity and many are going to Team Grookey.  Right now, in terms of popularity, it seems to be Grookey, Scorbunny and Sobble in that order.  If you must ask, I'm still Team Scorbunny.

Yes, plenty of new Pokemon have appeared and the Galar forms seem to have some interesting lore behind them.

If you must ask me more personally, please do so in Private Message.  I do not wish to spoil the whole forum at the moment and will only spoil those who ask personally.

That's all.  Have a good day.

OwlsCantRead

• Literally Guido シ
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Thanks for the heads up so that I can prudently stay away from Twitter and YouTube for the next two weeks because now they are guaranteed to be minefields, haha! :lol
Would it be possible for swimmers and flyers to get more love around here? Both figuratively… and literally.

That one guy who writes LBT fanfiction and accidentally makes them five times longer than he'd originally intended.

ImpracticalDino

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
I personally don’t care as I don’t plan on getting the games, but it’s surprising that you mention this revelation pokeplayer984. Strangely enough, I have encountered no such leaks of any kind on YouTube yet. But then again, I wasn’t searching up anything Pokémon related at the time, and I still haven’t, so there’s that.

Discord! I'm howling at the moon! And sleeping in the middle of a summer afternoon...

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I noticed quite some leaks flying by on Reddit. Always seems to happen right before the games release. Didn't check them out for the same reason as ImpracticalDino though! I'll see how the game is received once it is released and might pick up a second hand copy eventually, but do not plan on getting the games outright as I don't want to support the way The Pokemon Company treats their longtime fans.

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
So, it seems Nintendo isn't too happy about the leaks and have sent out notices.  They are threatening legal action to those who leaked and are demanding them to take their stuff down.  The videos I got all of this information is gone now. (Though I wouldn't be surprised if others downloaded those videos and are ready to reupload them up at this point.) Not to mention Twitter and other social media were also targeted, and many removed their posts.

Now, Nintendo obviously didn't get everyone.  This stuff was shared like crazy.  I doubt that even with their team of lawyers they can get to everyone before the games release, and even then, I doubt everyone will respect their wishes.  The internet is too big and you really can't expect it to play by the rules.

So yeah, just a head's up on all that.

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Just gonna put this out there. You can read the topic without being spoiled, however some of the images/videos linked obviously contain some spoilers (in terms of new Pokémon, not the story).

https://www.reddit.com/r/pokemon/comments/dv438w/complete_list_of_all_problems_known_so_far_in/

To be fair, from everything I've seen this looks like a rushed and unpolished product. My excitement for this game has been reset to 0, and this will be the first time I'm skipping a main game entry in the Pokémon series. I think the only way we'll see change is if Game Freak/The Pokémon Company realizes they can't just poop out a new game every year with new "features" that no one asked for. They need to stay true to their roots, not lie to their fans and take their time to polish the game. If you are on the fence for this game, I recommend sitting it out and wait for a SharpSword/SturdyShield version which will most likely be released next year anyway.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2019, 05:15:38 AM by Mumbling »

OwlsCantRead

• Literally Guido シ
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Skimming through that list... wow. Literally wow.

I'm still holding out that maybe the leaks aren't that bad, but I haven't been planning on getting the game anyway, so yeah.

ImpracticalDino

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
I never had any excitement for this game since the beginning, as I already saw the issues present with the game just by seeing YouTube videos that had pretty solid evidence and comparisons to back up the notion that the game is mediocre and low-effort compared to previous Pokémon games. Months ago, there were people that said that the game footage or gameplay was not final and that GameFreak would change it by then. Fast forward to now, and well theres no noticeable change at all.