The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Is there anyone in LBT that you would call evil?

StardustSoldier

• Bestest Friends
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
    • Ian's Corner - My personal review blog
Given that Chomper is a sharptooth, I actually understand and even sympathize with where Cera was coming from. She turned out to be wrong about him in the end, but still, I think it was a valid concern.

ImpracticalDino

• Member+
  • Cera
  • Be my lover, Littlefoot. <3
    • View Profile

Hmm, well Cera had moments that seemed considerably evil, like when she would tell Littlefoot in Episode 5, when she would pester him about being friends with Chomper and make fun of Chomper saying he would eat Littlefoot  :thinking

That doesn't even come close to evil honestly...it's just her being nervous about Chomper since he's a sharptooth like StardustSoldier said, and because it's in her nature to be a bit teasing at times, don't you think?

In fact, I feel like the original Sharptooth is a bit evil. He was chasing the children for food at first, and not even the killing of Littlefoot's mother would qualify as evil, only because it was in self-defense. But it's the sheer persistence of chasing the gang down and vengeance against Littlefoot is what strikes clear to me. I mean...they're just hatchlings? Why keep trying? If he really wanted food, try to find something better. And besides, he should give the longneck a break. After all, it was his rash and stupid decision to literally stick his head in a huge thorn bush on his quest for sustenance. Sigh...but I guess his instincts were in control and not his rationale. In my opinion, his ego of being the scariest and baddest sharptooth of all was hurt that day and took out that anger on the Gang of Five too. At this point, it's more of a speculation than anything, but it could be a possibility...

Discord! I'm howling at the moon! And sleeping in the middle of a summer afternoon...

OwlsCantRead

• Literally Guido シ
  • Member+
  • Ducky
  • "In the morning light, the evening star…"
    • View Profile
Hmm, well Cera had moments that seemed considerably evil, like when she would tell Littlefoot in Episode 5, when she would pester him about being friends with Chomper and make fun of Chomper saying he would eat Littlefoot  :thinking
I can't believe I missed this thread for a while, but I would argue that Cera doesn't come off as evil, just mean-spirited at her worst moments. In the first film, she's definitely a foil to the extent of being an antagonist, but she isn't outright malicious more so confused. Just because one is actually counterinituitve to the situation does not make them evil, per-se, it's all about perspective and the big picture.

We are meant to view Sharpteeth as svil through the eyes of the Gang of Five. However, Chomper and his parents allowed us to have a more objective view of Sharpteeth considering, seeing them less as villians and more as simply meat eaters.
This as well. From a prey's point of view, sharpteeth are monsters, but as Chomper proved, this is also a two-dimensional theory. Thud wouldn't have done what he did in the TV series in that one episode if he was a complete monster, for instance. This pretty much discounts most, if not all sharpteeth, since by Circle of Life aesop propagated by the first movie implies that such chases are just the natural order of things, even if the gang must detest it and view sharpteeth as horrible enemies. Again, subjectively based on the lens/POV.

Definitely Ozzy, Rinkus, and Sierra as they are shown to have no qualms with killing for the sake of killing.
I'll probably join the consensus for this as well. Maybe less so Ozzy, as by the end of LBT2 the tormented eggstealer is completely and utterly frustrated to the point of snapping, but both Rinkus and Sierra gave off a very sinister vibe through their film even if the final payoff at the climax wasn't so cathartic.

...although some people from this forum hold the opinion that a certain smug green-eyed longneck from the TV series is the single most evil antagonist the series has ever produced. :P
Would it be possible for swimmers and flyers to get more love around here? Both figuratively… and literally.

That one guy who writes LBT fanfiction and accidentally makes them five times longer than he'd originally intended.

Anagnos

• Member+
  • Ducky
  • Keep it clean! Respect public property!
    • View Profile
Given that Chomper is a sharptooth, I actually understand and even sympathize with where Cera was coming from. She turned out to be wrong about him in the end, but still, I think it was a valid concern.

One can also understand that the circumstances surrounding Littlefoot's mother's demise at the claws of the Sharptooth. Hereby the initial reaction of the gang concerning Chomper's birth was a rather rational one. Imagine yourself in their position after everything they encountered during their journey to the Great Valley and the ugly confrontation with Sharptooth definitely had an act in their rightly justified reaction of the baby sharptooth. Of course, all of those fears proved to be futile in the end, as we all know.

I can't believe I missed this thread for a while, but I would argue that Cera doesn't come off as evil, just mean-spirited at her worst moments. In the first film, she's definitely a foil to the extent of being an antagonist, but she isn't outright malicious more so confused. Just because one is actually counterinituitve to the situation does not make them evil, per-se, it's all about perspective and the big picture.

The big picture in this one is that Cera was likely acting this way due to how she was raised by her parents, and by extension, her father. From the moment he appeared in the original film, I got the impression that he was essentially a xenophobe who saw other races as inferior to his own. It's likely that this viewpoint was eventually passed down to Cera and possibly even her sisters. Of course, none of this actually points out that Cera is evil by nature, and by the end of the film, a totally new side to her is shown that is willing to protect those she cares for.

We are meant to view Sharpteeth as svil through the eyes of the Gang of Five. However, Chomper and his parents allowed us to have a more objective view of Sharpteeth considering, seeing them less as villians and more as simply meat eaters.

Same as with every being, they don't see themselves as the ''bad guys'', per say. But with sharpteeth, we have to remember that they are carnivores. Therefore, they must consume meat as nutrition in order to live. I like to reference what Don Bluth said about the Sharptooth, as that really points out the factuality of the character. If you haven't had a chance to read it, it's right here.

I guess what I'm trying to convey here is that not everything is as black and white as you might initially think. Life works in mysterious ways and is full of little mysteries. ;)

Gentle Sharptooth

• Sharplord
  • Member+
  • Cera
  • Captive of Grief
    • View Profile

Cera seemed more bitter and antagonistic, than evil to me. Sharptooth (TLBTI) was certainly evil, he sought to gorge himself on the Gang of Five, when he could have dined on the Diplodocus herd who ate most of the food that the Gang wanted to eat (see attachment).   

« Last Edit: December 22, 2019, 03:58:47 AM by Gentle Sharptooth »

“The Past is Gone..” -Dream On, Aerosmith

StardustSoldier

• Bestest Friends
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
    • Ian's Corner - My personal review blog

Goldenwind

• Member+
  • Spike
    • View Profile
They were the real antagonists all, along. XD I will agree that Ozzy, Rinkus, Sierra are evil. Although I think I also see the gigantasaurus in the 5th movie as probably a villain because of his depiction and attacking Chomper. I don't want to say Mr. Threehorn is evil as I like his character and overall franchise arc... But he about crossed that line in movie 11 where he puts the Tinysaurses in danger, and blows off Tria when she wanted him to stop (Which to me, contradicts Cera's statement about her dad's possible motive, "Doing it for Tria"). Also I clearly see Red Claw and his gang being evil just based on what I saw in the TV pilot, The Cave of Many Voices.

ImpracticalDino

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Ugh, I'm so bad at picking up the finer details like that and completely gloss over it or forget about it because it was such a short and forgettable portion of the movie.

Those were very ravenous beasts I tell you, probably even more hungry than Sharptooth was. :sducky

Red Claw and his minions may be evil, but they're pretty incompetent and only pose as a nuisance to the Gang at best in my opinion.

But then again, we're talking about the same leaf eaters who were able to devise a plan and successfully kill Sharptooth through friendship and teamwork, so this is only a walk in the park for them. Not to mention, the dozens of adventures in the Mysterious Beyond.

Discord! I'm howling at the moon! And sleeping in the middle of a summer afternoon...

Goldenwind

• Member+
  • Spike
    • View Profile
Ugh, I'm so bad at picking up the finer details like that and completely gloss over it or forget about it because it was such a short and forgettable portion of the movie.

Those were very ravenous beasts I tell you, probably even more hungry than Sharptooth was. :sducky

Red Claw and his minions may be evil, but they're pretty incompetent and only pose as a nuisance to the Gang at best in my opinion.

But then again, we're talking about the same leaf eaters who were able to devise a plan and successfully kill Sharptooth through friendship and teamwork, so this is only a walk in the park for them. Not to mention, the dozens of adventures in the Mysterious Beyond.

I tend to easily pick up and retain details that I like or left a bad impression on me. ^^'

Considering how big they are, I can see that as the case. :opetrie

That is so true. :bestsharptooth Even if he's like the biggest most dangerous sharptooth there is, he has no chance against them.  :SmugSpike

Also it could be iffy for Thud being completely evil as he does save the entire gang once, presumably as a sign of thanks. (Their friendship is so strong that it is even affecting Thud. :PCera )

ImpracticalDino

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
I honestly would tell you what role Thud will be playing in The Seven Hunters...but that would be spoiling the story, would it? :p

But based on this conversation we're having now, you could probably guess that easily.
Unless you have already read up to that point or beyond that is.

I do have to agree with your logic there. Even if Thud isn't completely reformed and still sides with Red Claw, he did save the Gang one time to return the favor towards Chomper, who was merciful enough to not leave him and his tail stuck under a rock in the TV episode Escape from the Mysterious Beyond. :)

Goldenwind

• Member+
  • Spike
    • View Profile
I honestly would tell you what role Thud will be playing in The Seven Hunters...but that would be spoiling the story, would it? :p

But based on this conversation we're having now, you could probably guess that easily.
Unless you have already read up to that point or beyond that is.

I do have to agree with your logic there. Even if Thud isn't completely reformed and still sides with Red Claw, he did save the Gang one time to return the favor towards Chomper, who was merciful enough to not leave him and his tail stuck under a rock in the TV episode Escape from the Mysterious Beyond. :)

I probably would. XD Can't wait to see his role though.

Indeed, this alone made me very interested in the character. :chompysmile

ImpracticalDino

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Lol, I know I'm taking this off topic right about now, but I'm curious to know what you think of Mo? He's such a lovable, courageous, vibrant, optimistic, and also maybe a bit naive as well in my opinion. You either love or hate him, and I fit in the former category. :DD

There's so much potential in him and his character to be explored honestly, but it's very rare to encounter an LBT fanfic with Mo featured in it, let alone even appear as a secondary character. I want to ask you if you have also thought of any ideas involving him. Just wondering, and yes I do understand that some people are deterred by his style of dialect or just by the fact that he lives in the Big Water and not near the Great Valley or Mysterious Beyond, where most of the action usually takes place at. For me myself, I actually do have one idea involving him...but I actually have no fanfiction writing experience as of right now. :lol

I also took this off topic because I really want to converse with you more, I think you're very creative and enthusiastic. :)
« Last Edit: January 13, 2020, 05:18:01 PM by ImpracticalDino »

Goldenwind

• Member+
  • Spike
    • View Profile
When I saw Moe in movie 9 I liked him a lot. I thought he was a fun character with depth. He had flaws but was genuinely a great fellow. I was saddened by his sacrifice scene when I first saw it, even though I knew he would survive for the TV show episode. I agree there is potential for the character. Espically since there is a completely different world in the prehistoric ocean (Finding Nemo but with prehistoric dino fish. X) ). Unfortunately, I couldn't fit him in the "Spike's Misadventure" story I was writing outside of the Red Claw lake gag. ^^'

Hmm… I actually had a couple of story ideas with Mo. One of which is about Chomper having developed a phobia of water based on events that happened in the show and movie 5. Mo and the gang try to help him overcome it.

I really appreciate it. Thank you.  :)petrie Also can I hear about the story idea you have?  :olittlefoot

ImpracticalDino

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
When I saw Moe in movie 9 I liked him a lot. I thought he was a fun character with depth. He had flaws but was genuinely a great fellow. I was saddened by his sacrifice scene when I first saw it, even though I knew he would survive for the TV show episode. I agree there is potential for the character. Espically since there is a completely different world in the prehistoric ocean (Finding Nemo but with prehistoric dino fish. X) ). Unfortunately, I couldn't fit him in the "Spike's Misadventure" story I was writing outside of the Red Claw lake gag. ^^'

Hmm… I actually had a couple of story ideas with Mo. One of which is about Chomper having developed a phobia of water based on events that happened in the show and movie 5. Mo and the gang try to help him overcome it.

I really appreciate it. Thank you.  :)petrie Also can I hear about the story idea you have?  :olittlefoot

I've kept this private with two very close friends here, but I guess it's a good time as any to reveal to you - and anyone else that notices this, what my idea is since I'm more comfortable now. Well, there's not really any plot yet, but I do plan on featuring Mo and also an OC that is currently in progress. It will be a Mosasaurus named Dove. My reasoning for the name is that it's short and sweet, it pairs nicely when said together with Mo, and it's also a pun as well. :lol

I also picked the name as a bit of symbolism to let everyone have an idea of what the main personality of Dove will comprise of - something that seems so absurd and weird from the perspective of leaf eaters and all creatures that usually fall victim to a Mosasaur's appetite. So far, I would say that he's caring and relatively peaceful, and would rather not engage in any violence or fights to deescalate a situation or dominate over others. It doesn't make him a pushover in the slightest however, so nobody should be stupid enough to tempt fate. Once my trait list is finalized, I'll see what else can be added or removed.
:Mo

Goldenwind

• Member+
  • Spike
    • View Profile
I think Dove is a very interesting OC. :) I hope you make great progress with him and your fanfic.  :Mo

ImpracticalDino

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
I think Dove is a very interesting OC. :) I hope you make great progress with him and your fanfic.  :Mo

Thanks! And I think my one week break from school next week should really give the time I need to eventually make some progress. Hopefully I stay motivated and not get stuck on any ideas!

I also like your Potential Story Ideas based from the TV series. Incorporating some canon ideas while also building upon them makes for a very interesting, wild, and fun story tbh. I thought the one with Chomper accidentally calling Littlefoot "Daddy" was pretty adorable and could bring up some very interesting dialogue between them, plus an inner monologue with Littlefoot himself. The second idea was also pretty interesting since it focuses on a character with a poor reputation who gets blamed for stealing all the shiny stones. What really did me in was Hyp actually working together with Mr. Threehorn out of all characters to choose one, making it one odd duo and one unlikely ally. Good reference to Ducky's obsession with the minerals in The Canyon of Shiny Stones. The one who commits the crime is the one you least expect. This is why I think the second idea works well. The third idea was crazy, but yet I also love it. A bit of karma and also a bit of a life lesson for Cera I'll say. :lol

OwlsCantRead

• Literally Guido シ
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
The real villains are you two for derailing this thread after such an abrupt bump. :P Take it to PMs if you must. :SmugSpike

My opinion still stands, that for the most part most of the "villains" in LBT are simply antagonists to the gang, be it due to diet or the surrounding circumstances. Many of them simply chase the Gang for food, even the more fleshed out ones like Ozzy & Strut and Ichy & Dil. While LBT fanfic can have a few absolute irredeemable villains due to more black-and-white motives, it's a lot more gray in the actual series proper.
Would it be possible for swimmers and flyers to get more love around here? Both figuratively… and literally.

That one guy who writes LBT fanfiction and accidentally makes them five times longer than he'd originally intended.

ImpracticalDino

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
The real villains are you two for derailing this thread after such an abrupt bump. :P Take it to PMs if you must. :SmugSpike

My opinion still stands, that for the most part most of the "villains" in LBT are simply antagonists to the gang, be it due to diet or the surrounding circumstances. Many of them simply chase the Gang for food, even the more fleshed out ones like Ozzy & Strut and Ichy & Dil. While LBT fanfic can have a few absolute irredeemable villains due to more black-and-white motives, it's a lot more gray in the actual series proper.

Sheesh, party pooper... But obv I see your point. :p

In my opinion, I would still argue that Sharptooth was evil...or at least the most evil in comparison to the other antagonists featured in the LBT movies. It feels like such a waste of energy to chase the Gang of Five for who knows how long, and still end up empty handed. I guess we could also assume from his perilous pursuit that he was unsuccessful in capturing any other prey off screen, so Sharptooth has to resort to getting a meal that is easy to get (seemingly) but at a huge drawback of any nutrition. Being in an environment where leaf eaters are pretty scarce due to the lack of vegetation also doesn't help the situation at all. But then again, what about all the herds traveling to the Great Valley? There were a lot of casualties, so theoretically, there should be scattered corpses all around for a Sharptooth feast, correct? Was that ever shown in the movie? We also have to factor in the Diplodocus herd that ran up to the trees and ate up all the tree stars that the Gang should've had. Where the hell did they went after that? I have no clue honestly. The last factor to consider is the chance of an encounter. With all of these food jackpots littered across the land due to the Earthshake and the vast expansiveness of the Mysterious Beyond itself, what were the chances that the Gang would encounter Sharptooth not just once, but twice!? Unfortunately, a decent chance because both the Gang and Sharptooth were traveling towards the direction of where the fabled Great Valley supposedly exists. But even then, if Sharptooth had some sort of consciousness and a bit of empathy, he would leave the kids alone and move towards the food source that is plentiful AND easy pickings at the same time.

So with all things considered, I now think that Sharptooth could've made much better and more rational decisions in the first movie, but he isn't a complete monster. Very flawed, but maybe he thought he had no other choice but to hunt the children down, otherwise face starvation.

Good job Owls, you got me brain gears grinding over here. ;)Cera

I meant to put "me" instead of "my" in case you were wondering. :p

OwlsCantRead

• Literally Guido シ
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
I would argue for that reason that the original Sharptooth was more a villain than most of the later ones. He had a profound impact on Littlefoot by maiming his mother, and i personally believe that his scarred eye is why he insists on hunting down Littlefoot while he normally might have made a more rational choice.

ImpracticalDino

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
In that case, I guess we're both in agreement now. :)

Poor Littlefoot, what an unfortunate situation to end up in. I kinda wonder what thoughts were running inside the Sharptooth's mind the moment he was hit in the eye with the thorn - albeit by accident because Littlefoot was trying to escape from his pursuer. A normal and rational mind would shake it off and let it go, but not for this guy. I would even say that he wasn't completely open minded before his eye ends up getting injured, making him more enraged. During a hunt, the natural survival instincts probably held mostly dominant over his normal cognitive abilities. So when the Littlefoot accidentally hurt him in the eye, it was most likely taken as some sort of challenge by Sharptooth, and therefore that's how the endless chase for the blood and meat of the Gang started.

Or we could just say that Sharptooth is a very egotistical guy in general and doesn't like his pride to be hurt like that. The more simple explanation of course, but at the same time, not explaining the full scope of possibilities though. :p
And the really, really simplified explanation is revenge. :o