The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Question concerning my motherboard.

TheNumberOneShmuck

• Spike
    • View Profile
So I'm looking to install the 64-bit version of Windows 7 soon. After checking Nvidia's website, there doesn't seem to be a listing for nForce 410 drivers for Windows 7 64-bit (or 32-bit, for that matter)

Does this mean anything? Do I need special drivers for the motherboard to take advantage of a 64-bit OS? Or does it not matter?

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.thelandbeforetime.org
In order to install a 64 bit version of Windows, you need to have a 64 bit processor and a motherboard that supports more than 4gb of ram (well, that's not exactly necessary, but why else would you want to install 64 bit at this point in time?).  If Windows 7 won't support your graphics card, replace it.  If it's onboard, install a separate card then DISABLE onboard graphics in the BIOS to avoid any problems.

I believe Microsoft has a Windows 7 Upgrade Adviser just like they did for Windows Vista.  I suggest you run it in order to get specific information about your hardware and potential problems you might encounter if you upgrade.  If your computer passes, I suggest you download a pirated version of Windows 7 (NOT the Beta!) and install it just to be sure it works properly with your machine.  It'd really suck to have MS tell you your computer will work fine with Windows 7 and you go spend $300 on it and then after it installs you find things just don't work right.  The Upgrade Adviser tool isn't exactly the most sophisticated program in the world.  Think of it as a program like MS Paint.

TheNumberOneShmuck

• Spike
    • View Profile
Hmm. Installing Windows isn't the issue here. Neither is my graphics card. This whole thing basically comes down to my motherboard, and whether the lack of drivers listed as being specifically for W7 will somehow prevent my computer from taking advantage (be it in part or in full) of the 64-bit version.

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.thelandbeforetime.org
Just because a driver doesn't explicitly state that it's approved for a certain OS doesn't mean it won't work with it.  Of course, you'll need 64 bit drivers for either XP, Vista or 7 in order for it to have a chance of working at all.  You can't use a 32 bit driver on a 64 bit OS.  I'd just download a pirated copy of Windows 7 to be 100% sure it'll work.  It's no skin off your nose.  Since Windows 7 is very recent, torrents should have LOADS of seeders at the moment so now's the best time to download it.  Though I'd try to find an "untouched" copy of it and not install any cracks or anything.  You can install Windows and test it for 30 days without a product key.