The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

I think I found a virus...

2007excalibur2007

• Member+
  • Petrie
    • View Profile
Yeah I just noticed that a suspicious and annoying executable known as "exhost.exe" keeps re-appearing on my Application Data folder (C:\Documents and Settings\[user_name]\Application Data). Kaspersky has already notified me of this (marked as a possible Trojan), but at this time it's unable to find the culprit that keeps (re)creating the executable.

I checked the properties of the .exe and found out that its original filename was "bhonymz.exe". I wonder if anyone has had this before, because I couldn't find any info on it on the interwebs, and I really wanna get rid of it before anything else bad happens. D8

Any advice?

EDIT: Nevermind, I fixed the problem. Apparently the virus added an executable to the system's startup list which might've been the cause of all this. All I had to do was go into safe mode, run the System Config Utility, and disable that POS from starting up. After that, I was able to remove the virus without it reappearing again. What a relief! :DD