The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

The Land Before Time Book

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
I am not aware of any special taxes I had to pay for ebay auctions. The shipping is of course higher when the items have to cross the US borders and the big pond, but apart from the item itself and the shipping costs no further expenses were involved.

NewOrder

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
    • No Sense of Reason
I bought something from ebay from the US, a couple of years ago, I had to pay the price, the shipping and the IVA (which is a tax of 21% over everything you buy), I don't remember if I paid something else. all I know is that the final bid was 40 dollars and I end up paying 89 euros on the whole.
I'm hip, I'm cool. I'm a happening fool

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I bought something from ebay from the US, a couple of years ago, I had to pay the price, the shipping and the IVA (which is a tax of 21% over everything you buy), I don't remember if I paid something else.
This is strange. I never had to pay any additional IVA whatsoever for any ebay auction (and I won many auctions of items offered in US and UK). I think so far most ebay auctions are still considered as private dealings rather than business trade over here. I do not know if there is any different legislation for ebay auctions in Portugal. In any case I'm sorry to hear that it was so expensive for you.

NewOrder

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
    • No Sense of Reason
The IVA had nothing to do with eBay, from eBay I only paid the shipping and the item. It's just that in costumes I had to pay the IVA (each country has its own denomination for this but its that tax over every product, IVA translates to "added value tax"), back then it was 19% now it's 21%, I don't know if I had to pay some extra costumes fee. A friend of mine usually buys things from Canada, he told me they cheat the taxes and that he only pays the value of the item and the shipping, however apparently, ether the seller didn't know how to do this, or in the US they can't do the same thing.

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
But this tax wouldn't usually be raised in case of a private ebay auction. Of course it would if you bought a product from the manufacturer for a set price, but not if you bought a used book from a private person (and as the book is out of print for all I know you couldn't buy it from some online bookstore anyway).

NewOrder

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
    • No Sense of Reason
I'm actually thinking about buying it through Amazon, sent a couple of e-mails to the sellers to check out the state of the item and shipping. Let's hope you're right.

NewOrder

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
    • No Sense of Reason
Well, I bought it. Let's see, amazon says it will arrive in 3 to 12 days after its posted on August 31st. The thing is I'm going on vacation September 1sr, I hope it doesn't get mixed up in the mail.

NewOrder

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
    • No Sense of Reason
I've read it, it has many scenes that don't feature in the original movie, some I think would add more to the movie. others - like the one with dino's not sharing the water and the food - not so much. There are also a couple of scenes missing, like Cera and Littlefoot's fight. It's also way too quick of a read, the writer could of explored a lot more of the story. On the whole, for what I paid for it, 7 euros, I guess, it was worth it.

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
They fail to mention that crucial line of Cera's about Littlefoot's mother thereby avoiding the actual cause for the fight in the movie (I don't suppose that Cera's determination to go a different way would have made Littlefoot attack her). In one of the German LBT books I have some special attention is given to her abuse of Littlefoot's mother as both Littlefoot's feelings at that moment and Cera's thoughts about it later on (after her rescue from the domeheads) are mentioned.
  I've read it, it has many scenes that don't feature in the original movie, some I think would add more to the movie. others - like the one with dino's not sharing the water and the food - not so much.
I strongly disagree about the oasis scene being one that would not have added much to the movie. On the contrary, I consider it extremely potential. It was at that oasis that Cera really came to think of the racism between the different kinds as utter nonsense for the first time. Earlier drafts of LBT meant to stress the topic of racism much more. I think it could have been an improvement even of that awesome movie; while on the other hand there would have been the risk of the matter of racism going on the expense off the simple harmony brought into the movie through the perfectly non-racist characters.

NewOrder

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
    • No Sense of Reason
while on the other hand there would have been the risk of the matter of racism going on the expense off the simple harmony brought into the movie through the perfectly non-racist characters.

That's exactly why I don't like it. Of course the "say no to racism speech" can be found throughout lbt, but they shouldn't turn it into a consciencioulising film.

Cancerian Tiger

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I found the book at a local thrift store(one of the best places to find classic books without the shipping :p).  Overall, I enjoyed it but noticed differences between the book and the movie itself.  It's a good read and I will most certainly read it to any children I may have someday for their bedtime story :^.^:.  Long live LBT!