The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Fanfiction Prompt Challenge Voting

rhombus · 153 · 31916

rhombus

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
@UnionRags123 @StardustSoldier @DiddyKF1

Would you guys benefit from some additional time in order to vote?

Go ahead and check out my fanfictions, The Seven Hunters, Songs of the Hunters, and Menders Tale.

rhombus

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
After talking it through with some of you by DM, I will go ahead and grant a one week extension to the voting period. Please have your votes in by May 6, 2020 at 11:59pm forum time.  Then we will have the voting period for the March prompt.  :yes

Go ahead and check out my fanfictions, The Seven Hunters, Songs of the Hunters, and Menders Tale.

DiddyKF1

• Monkey of Many Mysteries from the Fruitiest Forests
  • Member+
  • Petrie
  • Proud supporter of DuckyxPetrie!
    • View Profile
Okay. I've finally made up my mind on which story I'm picking for the February prompt. After I spent some time reading over the fanfics, I eventually found one I think deserves my vote: StardustSoldier's "The Long Night". It provided a great insight into the thoughts of a mother (hopeful) as she faces the high stakes of continuing the family bloodline in such a hostile environment. Littlefoot's hatching feels like a blast from the past that I greatly enjoyed reading. The author did a fantastic job at staying loyal to the original material while at the same time adding more emotional touches to an already emotional hatching that forever changed the course of events. For those reasons, that gets my vote.
Suddenly, I've written so many fanfics that I can't possibly list them all! :P

Ducky x Petrie forever! :)petrie :duckyhappy

rhombus

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
@Sleeping-force's-inside @UnionRags123 @DiddyKF1 @RainbowFaceProtege @StardustSoldier

Alright, the voting period for February is now over.  With two votes in your favor, the winner is StardustSoldier.  Congratulations!  :DD

After examining the formal rules for the fanfiction prompt challenge it does look like that the "voting is required to be qualified to win" was never actually formalized in the text of the rules themselves. Due to this, and considering the circumstances of the moment, I will use make the judgement call to allow a one-star banner here if you want one, Stardust.  As always, everyone else who participated in February may have the participation banner of their choice if you have not already selected one for this year.  :yes  If you need to pick out a banner please let Darkwolf know by PM.

Now this brings us to the March prompt.  Due to there being only one entry for that month the result is rather obvious.  :bestsharptooth Congratulations, Sleeping-force's-inside, you may select the one-star banner of your choice.  Just let Darkwolf know about your character preference by PM.  :yes

RainbowFaceProtege

• Member+
  • Ducky
  • “Keep asking questions, it sharpens the mind…”
    • View Profile

StardustSoldier

• Bestest Friends
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
    • Ian's Corner - My personal review blog
*blinks*

Wow, I was not expecting that win. Thank you so much, everyone.
:cerahappy

Again, I apologize for not being more active myself. Just, yeah... crazy times, as I mentioned.

Congrats on your win, Sleeping.
:duckyhappy

rhombus

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
@OwlsCantRead @Anagnos @LBTlover247

My apologies for the delay, everyone.  The new semester has been off to a rough start with the double whammy of dealing with Covid-19 and also being faced with a campus fire that required us to go to online-only instruction with no notice whatsoever.

I was very pleased to see the level of participation in June, as this is usually a month that is faced with a downturn in activity due to the temptations of the summer months.  :)  All three entries were enjoyable reads with their own unique strengths.  With that in mind, it is now time for all three participants to vote for the story (but not their own) that they feel were the best entry during the month of June.  For reference I have included the list below:

The Propeller Swimmer
Author: OwlsCantRead
Description: Born with an abnormally large and cumbersome tail which inhibited her ability to walk, let alone swim, Pellie had the odds stacked against her from the very moment she hatched. This is the tale of how a stubbornly determined swimmer managed to overcome the odds and turn what was once her greatest disability into her greatest asset.
Gang of Five link: https://www.gangoffive.net/index.php?topic=16917.0
Fanfiction.net link: https://www.fanfiction.net/s/13615460/1/The-Propeller-Swimmer

Lost in Nightmares
Author: Anagnos
Description: Continuation for A Grief Observed. Adapting is not always like a walk in the park. For Shorty, it was twice the trouble to make it to the finish line with his innocence intact. But what if the damage has already been done and irreversible? This is the next chapter in the life of a lost soul who found redemption in the most unlikely place and turned over a new leaf as a result.
Gang of Five link: https://www.gangoffive.net/index.php?topic=16919.msg516769#msg516769
Fanfiction.net link: https://www.fanfiction.net/s/13620926/1/Lost-in-Nightmares

Our Past and Our Future (chapter 6)
Author: LBTlover247
Description: Adolescence is an awkward time of self discovery as well as physical growth. Chomper seems to experience this the most because of his Sharptooth heritage. But when he and his friends meet an unlikely friend during one of their adventures, things might be turning out for the better. Series of Slice of Life Oneshots related to "Past and Future".
Gang of Five link: https://www.gangoffive.net/index.php?topic=16028.msg517467#msg517467
Fanfiction.net link: https://www.fanfiction.net/s/12978995/6/Our-Past-and-Our-Future

Voting will be open for the next two weeks.  I look forward to seeing the results!  :)

OwlsCantRead

• Literally Guido シ
  • Member+
  • Ducky
  • "In the morning light, the evening star…"
    • View Profile
My vote goes to Anagnos' Lost in Nightmares. I admit, I actually did like the teeth-clenched teamwork between the females in Our Past and Our Future, but Shorty's journey from self-doubt and loneliness and despair to acceptance and finally growing his bond with Bron and later Littlefoot really sold me on my choice. :bronGoodJob
Would it be possible for swimmers and flyers to get more love around here? Both figuratively… and literally.

That one guy who writes LBT fanfiction and accidentally makes them five times longer than he'd originally intended.

LBTlover247

• Member+
  • Ruby
    • View Profile
I'll go with Lost in Nightmares  as well.  I like how we got to see Shorty's characterization  grow.

Anagnos

• Member+
  • Ducky
  • Keep it clean! Respect public property!
    • View Profile
My vote goes to LBTlover's Our Past and Our Future. I particularly liked the part where Cera and Arya had to resolve their quarrel to get out of hot water. That scene was one of the key factors that lead me to this outcome. All of the entires (excluding mine, I do not wish to sound pompous :p) were very good additions, and I had to consider carefully which one I liked the most. :)

Anagnos

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
@rhombus Is the delay still ongoing? It has been quite a while since this topic had any attention. :)

rhombus

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
@Anagnos @OwlsCantRead @LBTlover247

Sorry about that, everyone! I kind of lost track of time due to work and everything else that is going on right now.  :rhett_ohno

With the votes now in, Anagnos is the winner of the June prompt challenge.  :) You may contact Darkwolf about obtaining your banner for this accomplishment.

As there were only two entries for the July prompt, I will make a tie-breaking decision for that month in the next few weeks.  In the meantime, I wish everyone who is participating in the Summer Prompt Exchange the best of luck with their projects.  :) Also keep in mind that if your entries are done by the end of the month that they can be included in this year's forum fanfic awards.

StardustSoldier

• Bestest Friends
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Will the next set of prompts be posted once the award voting is done?

rhombus

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile

Yep!  I am still in the process of determining what the next set of prompts should be.

OwlsCantRead

• Literally Guido シ
  • Member+
  • Ducky
  • "In the morning light, the evening star…"
    • View Profile
Yep!  I am still in the process of determining what the next set of prompts should be.
Is the prompt deadline duration going to be extended, or is that still under consideration?
Would it be possible for swimmers and flyers to get more love around here? Both figuratively… and literally.

That one guy who writes LBT fanfiction and accidentally makes them five times longer than he'd originally intended.

rhombus

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Is the prompt deadline duration going to be extended, or is that still under consideration?

Aye, that is still being considered.  I will probably ask for input on the various options before a final decision is made.

StardustSoldier

• Bestest Friends
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile

rhombus

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
@rhombus: What options are you considering?

I was considering perhaps having fewer prompts but having a longer writing period (3 months), but that idea had its own share of problems.  Another idea was to use longer writing periods (3 months, for example) but to have 3 or so prompts as options.  Then there could be a vote on the entries for each of the available prompts that had entries.  But there was one idea that had more appeal to others when I brought it up on Discord.

This alternative plan would have set prompts for each two-month period, as it is now, but people would also offer a suggested prompt at the beginning of the year which any writer could reserve and use in place of a month's prompt.  So each month would have an announcement like this:

So for each period then I would post something like this:

For this two-month period here are the following prompts you can utilize.  You can respond to both prompts as two separate stories if you wish, but you only need to submit one story to participate.

Utilize this character: XXX (an underused character would be here)

Use this plot concept: XXX (standard prompts as we use now)

Or, alternatively, you can respond to any of these requested prompts from the beginning of the year.  Please keep in mind that you need to PM me if you are going to do any of these so that they can be marked off of the list, as they are first-come-first-serve:

XXX (these would be prompt suggestions that people submitted to me at the beginning of the year and they would disappear as they are used)

XXX

XXX

Anagnos

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
For this two-month period here are the following prompts you can utilize.  You can respond to both prompts as two separate stories if you wish, but you only need to submit one story to participate.

Or, alternatively, you can respond to any of these requested prompts from the beginning of the year.  Please keep in mind that you need to PM me if you are going to do any of these so that they can be marked off of the list, as they are first-come-first-serve:

XXX (these would be prompt suggestions that people submitted to me at the beginning of the year and they would disappear as they are used)

XXX

XXX

First impressions for me are that this could actually work better than the previous system we've had until now. In the scenario that a lot of people are interested in a lot of these prompts, does that mean that they will eventually run out and more people can't participate? That just came into mind when you said they're first-come-first-serve.

rhombus

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile

XXX

XXX

First impressions for me are that this could actually work better than the previous system we've had until now. In the scenario that a lot of people are interested in a lot of these prompts, does that mean that they will eventually run out and more people can't participate? That just came into mind when you said they're first-come-first-serve.

I suppose we could allow multiple people claiming a single suggested prompt.  My main concern would be that one suggested prompt would get all of the attention and then several others would be ignored.  But we have never used this system before, so my concerns might be unfounded.  Though I am unsure how to do voting for suggested prompts unless that is handled at the very end of the year.