The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

One of a Kind

trulyfantasticme

• Petra (He/They)
  • Member+
  • Ducky
  • Very Important Rock
    • View Profile
Yay! Pterano's in here!!!! Sweet!
Petra is a variant of the Greek name "Petros" meaning "strong" or "rock." Andi is a variant of the Greek name "Andy" meaning "masculine" or "brave." Therefore, I am tremendously brave and strong! :lol

Pterano

• The Fabulous Fearsome Flyer
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Ahhh Pterano IS in this! He's gone from cameo to making a guest appearance, and possibly a longer one now! Good to see the infamous old flyer in here, as vonboy likes to call him.  :smile

I liked the introduction of the leader of the runner herd. She's pretty fascinating, and I take it her two sons are the ones that kidnapped everyone else? Seems the rainbow faces... or at least another version of them, are sojourning in the Mysterious Beyond. If they ARE rainbow faces that is. I'm still figuring that part out. :p Still, I liked how you described her. Well done on that. :DD

(runner up)
(runner up)
---------------------------------------------------

Poster of the Gang of Five's 400,000th post

vonboy

• Chomper: "Threehorns are better at everything, including rumpsteaks"
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Didn't realize I haven't said anything about this chapter yet, even though I did read it a few days ago :/

Anyway, like Pterano, I really like the leader of that herd, and the revelation as to who these fast runners might be. She seems mysterious to me too, so they all could be...well, what I think the two abductors are.

Sorry I have to bring this up, I do it to everyone else, but are Ruby and Chomper in here?

And funny that someone's picking up on one of my catchphrases :lol
Come check out my new Youtube gaming channel, Game Biter!
---------------------
Littlefoot: "Look, Chomper. You're uncle is dead, and it's just right for your friends to be there for you. You'd be there if someone we know died, right?"

Chomper: "Well, sure I would!"

Come give my LBT TV Series fanfiction, PAST-O-RAMA, a read!
---------------------
(Runner-Up)

Petrie85

• Cera
    • View Profile
Wow what a awesome story so far.I really enjoy it a lot. You're doing a great job with it. It's very interesting and written. Nice work on it. :smile  :smile

Mama's Girl

• Spike
    • View Profile
Thanks to those still reviewing and new reviewers. I'm surprised by now much attention this little story's getting and thanks guys you're an inspiration :)

Yeah, the way this herd of mine acts rainbow faces might be a better way of thinking of them, though I still keep saying and do hold that they are runners meaning whatever vague species that Hidden Runner is...they're that...but obviously as the last chapter showed they...you know what I'm going to stop talking so the intrigue stays :DD. On that line, not saying if anyone's right or got it, just hold on, all will be revealed and I'm still working at how to continue slowly showing stuff. Similarly I'm not rushing chapters myself, as you may have noticed, so even if I'm in somewhat regular updates for now, don't panic if they drop off, just working at the story.

Depending on how I work stuff the next chapter could be up today or tomorrow but don't hold me to that please :lol

Oh and while the timeline is vague and Chomper and Ruby could be in the Valley, I'm leaving them out just because I have enough characters and stuff going on for this story at least so sorry, no Chomper and Ruby Vonboy but I could use them later in another story or something after this is done ;)

Hmm, now you've got me pondering, but one story at a time LOL

Mama's Girl

• Spike
    • View Profile
(Yes Pterano adds something to the story by being here, as you'll see :smile )

VIII: The Seeker's Herd

Pterano just stared forward, eyes fixed on little Petrie and Cera as the two, having the most personal worry over the occurrence that led to them being out here, told the brief but horrible story. Those poor little threehorns, his poor sister, poor Harper!

Ridge's father added that his search was in the same of the kids, telling of his son. "I...have very good contact with my herd, even away from them" the spiketail went on, "there are smaller creatures about that they've always been able to get to relay a message. The fact that even as I moved out with the children no word came can only mean the Great Valley herd has still found nothing".

"So...they gotta be out here" Cera said, glancing down, "we just don't know where or...why"

Ridge's father's mouth tightened as he thought up an explanation he'd yet to voice. Pterano felt his world plummet in a bit as he felt his thoughts went to where the spiketail's already were. "You're thinking...abduction" he said softly. Oh the irony, was the whole world going to punish him personally for everything he'd done?! Yes, it had been wrong when he took Ducky away from her own family for his own protection in his plans, but...he didn't need the universe making him feel that worry over a family member for himself; and his sister had done nothing to deserve the pain she no doubt went through.

Pterano would have up and flown over to comfort her if...his own actions hadn't made that impossible right about now. More guilt hit as Pterano pondered on how he'd sort of thought of his sister's other kids as one and hadn't paid much attention to the thought of Harper individually, but as he did so now he recalled the little one in question. Oh yes, his sister's little girl that he felt was going to fulfill her goal and grow up to be just like her mother, sensible and with a sense he'd already noted of watching out for her siblings. Regrettable for Petrie but not a bad thing all in all, and she deserved the chance to grow to be it!

Surely whatever powers of fate or whatever were punishing him wouldn't allow her to be hurt just so he would feel pain like that he'd caused when he'd mislead that herd. Pterano glanced to the sky, lost in thoughts of his own with a deep frown upon his face.

"Me yelled at Harper" Petrie brought his uncle's focus back to the here and now as he flapped over to confide. "If something happened and that the last me said...". Pterano frowned deeper as he realized the regret way too big for such a little hatchling that Petrie was dealing with.

"It won't be, Petrie" he pulled the little one over to him, "I promise you, we're going to find Harper and return her to you and your mother" as he hugged his nephew, Pterano glanced off to the horizon and his frown took on a different tint, "and whatever is in the heavens to help better help who did this when I get at them!"

"You're one to talk on payback" Cera shot over, hearing the older flyer. Her mood hadn't been improved by Dinah and Dana being lost. Given the circumstances, Pterano let the young threehorn's comment roll off.

"Well we will of course help in any way that we can" the matriarch of the runner herd said.

"Thank you" Ridge's father nodded. As did Pterano.

"Did you have a lead you were following, Sir?" the flyer turned to the spiketail.

"Other than a vague direction of the little flyer noticing that to take both the twins and his sister, if they were taken, the culprit would have to travel this way in the Beyond, not much" Ridge's father said. "But still it's more to go on than any direction we previously had".

Pterano nodded, being impressed himself with his nephew's logic, but not saying anything as he knew Petrie wouldn't care about that right now with his sister missing. Maybe his own little nephew was more mature than him in some areas, the thought hit Pterano. "Then I say that plan sounds spot on and we follow that direction" the flyer agreed.

It was on the tip of Cera's tongue to shoot out some kind of "oh you're coming" comment to Pterano, but then, in an irony the threehorn didn't like, they were both on the same trail here, trying to find a niece of theirs.

Brief though the tail end of this talk had been, during it the runners themselves had been talking things over and the patriarch now turned to the search group of the young one's plus the spiketail and flyer. "Allow us to make good on our promise and accompany you to aid" he said. As a herd the runners were still a small group sort of and so it wouldn't be too much of a hindrance and in fact would probably be a help. Both Ridge's father and Pterano agreed.

"Come on, we were traveling this way" Ridge's father went on as he started them all on their way again in the direction he and he children had been traveling before. The runners fell in line.

Cera frowned, "More adults...we don't need this" she whispered over to Littlefoot.

"If they can help" the longneck pointed out again. The threehorn just sighed.

"Do not worry Cera" Ducky said, "We will find them, we will" the little swimmer somehow just knew what Cera's real problem was, and it was just more annoying. She didn't get to reply to Ducky though, because after the swimmer said this she was rushing off to find Spike again as the little spiketail walked beside Ridge's father once more. Seeming drawn to an adult of his species.

A dichotomy or such of the herd that hadn't been thought on or discussed previously seemed to now come into play though in that before any clear cut leaders hadn't needed to be decided. It was one adult spiketail leading a group of children. That was simple. As was Pterano's visiting position among the runners. Yet now, an impasse seemed to come up with the first physical decision time.

A forked path split off two ways. Ridge's father began walking off to the left as Pterano had already begun to fly off to the right before they both paused, noticing this. All the children, except for Petrie (who followed his uncle even without conscious thought of it) had paused at this as well. Ridge's father was the first to explain his position. "The ground is more level here, it will be easier traveling and I think it comes out at the same point".

"You think, but aren't sure, of course" Pterano pointed out. "Oh, no fault of yours of course, but still I believe I noticed an outlet that would keep to our wanted position through this way a few days ago as I traveled past it before meeting up with the runners". There was a pause as everyone took in what the flyer said. Petrie nodded like that made sense and Cera frowned and opened her mouth to say something, but Littlefoot was quick enough to halt her with his tail.

"It's a good suggestion Sir, I'll grant you" Ridge's father was clearly trying to hurry and explain while not seeming impatient. "but you're thinking from a flyer's perspective, it's nothing but dangerous for all of us groundwalkers to travel that way and...".

"So my niece suffers because you groundwalkers are inept!" Pterano had most definitely meant to think the thought, but he hadn't really meant to say it, still, even after noticing, he didn't take it back either. Everyone was silent.

"Sir, my son is probably in the same predicament" was the only soft spoken, pain ridden, defense Ridge's father had.

"Tensions are high" the female runner leader said, walking up. She laid a hand on either of the at odds dinosaurs. One on Pterano's arm and another on Ridge's father's shoulder blade, seeming to calm them with her soothing presence alone. They both glanced down, semi-ashamed as they thought on the past conversation. Both had wasted time on argument. Even Cera, who had broken from Littlefoot's side and seemed about to say something more to Pterano, something she probably would have regret saying to the flyer after the moment was passed, had paused.

"This is why I thought it best to come along" the matriarch runner smiled, "you both are too driven by emotions and need a mediator, us" she indicated her herd. "Now, my good flyer" she turned to Pterano, "Perhaps you should give a quick scout of both locations and see if the harder climb wold gain us anything or if we best go the spiketail's pointed out path".

For once Pterano had hit a force he couldn't argue with. Slowly he just nodded and flapped off to do said scouting.

"You are very good at saying good things and making everyone feel better" Ducky pointed out with a smile of admiration. The matriarch of the runners glanced down to the little swimmer with a smile, "It's a trait all good leaders much have. My mother had it, as did my father, on to...well cold times and cold times unable to be counted, or so I've been told" she gave a small laugh.

Pterano soon returned, "It...could be a bit...hard going. Perhaps the good spiketail is right" to have said this much took a lot of pride swallowing and Pterano was discouraged to find so much still in him in need of fixing still. It was the same old stuff coming up again. He had started up the same old fight, over the same old prejudices on non-flyers and same old pride within himself.

As the others walked on, Pterano just stood on the rock outcropping he'd landed on, hanging his head a bit. The matriarch touched his shoulder as she walked past, giving another of her soft smiles as he glanced to her, "Over-reaction is just a show of deep caring" she said before walking on. Pterano sighed, not sure his motives had been quite so pure, but too afraid to go searching too deeply on it. He just took to the skies again, following the small eclectic herd that the searchers were now.

vonboy

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Not a very eventful chapter, but it was still good. I liked that you showed that Pterano still has some of his bad qualities. It's something he'll continue to wrestle with. I'm still really liking this herd of fast runners, so mysterious. It was interesting reading about these different characters butting heads like that. Conflict is always good in my book! :DD

Keep it up!
---------------------
Littlefoot: "Look, Chomper. You're uncle is dead, and it's just right for your friends to be there for you. You'd be there if someone we know died, right?"

---------------------
(Runner-Up)

jansenov

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
I'm quite sure the runner pair who experiment on the the little ones are the same guys who left the runner herd. They are too immature to be explorers from another planet. They are kids playing scientists.

The story has a lot of little moments that I enjoyed, some for their humor, some for the emotions displayed. Harper, Petrie, Tory, Cera, Ms. Swimmer, Ducky; they all have these moments. These little moments go a long way in giving the characters depth. It's like a picture of a forest with every leaf taken care of (the forest is still small now, but it is growing). It must be that you have quite an experience as a writer.

Please go on. :) I don't visit this notch of the forum often, but when I do I will always share my thoughts with the author.

Petrie85

• Cera
    • View Profile
It was a okay chapter I like it a bit. But it could be better.

Mama's Girl

• Spike
    • View Profile
(Again thankyou all for the reviews, even the new ones :) Yes, jansenov, I've written for a hobby for a while. Nothing published yet but I've got stuff in the works to maybe send off one day :smile. For now just glad yall enjoy this little story and I'm of course having fun writing it. Ok, slight cliff hanger at the end of this chapter)

IX:Final Test and Hope?

On this, their second day of watching the bright circle rise while away from their families, Ridge, Harper and the twins gave grumbles as they slowly stood. Harper was already feeling it herself, so had no doubt Ridge did too, the monotonous...hopelessness and weariness that seemed to sink in as time passed and they still weren't out of this situation.

Again, Harper glanced at the bright circle, from beyond the walls, and thought. She had a lot to think on. Ridge had had his test or whatever it was before they got here, the twins yesterday, following logic and process of elimination, today would be her turn for whatever their captors had planned.

"You ok?" Ridge's question seemed to know what the little flyer's problem was and Harper blinked back tears partly for this reason and the fear coming on as she glanced to the older spiketail once more. There was more weighing on the little flyer's mind though.

"I didn't sleep well" was the first thing she informed Ridge of. The older kid shrugged, "Yeah, me neither".

Harper could tell he didn't get what she was saying, not that she'd expected that vague sentence to say it. "I...I saw my mom...in my sleep stories". There were looks of understanding pity from the others. "I wish I could just tell myself the way she looked was how I imagined she would, that I didn't...know...it's how she looked".

As Ridge and the twins looked curious, she went on, "My brother Petrie gets himself lost all the time with his friends, and one time it was even their fault" she half kidded, pointing to Dinah and Dana, who looked moderately guilty. Harper smiled at them to let them know she wasn't really getting onto them before letting out a sigh, "Each time, mom and the other adults would search everywhere but most times we just had to wait until they came back on their own. Sometimes it took a real long time and I'd notice every day that Petrie was gone the way Mom looked when she'd come home, and how she couldn't sleep straight through a night...it...it's been two days already! Two and a bit more...!".
Harper glanced back to Ridge, fearing she wasn't making sense anymore with this last bit, but the spiketail looked like he understood perfectly. "Yeah, no doubt my parents are worried too".

Dinah and Dana glanced to eachother and then nodded as well, "Grampy Threehorn prob'ly yelling at everybody" Dinah said.

"Yeah and he prob'ly will 'till we get back" Dana added. The twins tried to find a smile at this no doubt sort of funny scene, but couldn't.

"Yeah" Harper glanced down, for the sake of distraction agreeing with the little kids. She didn't miss how they had said until they got back, and tried to be as optimistic as the little kids could be. When you were older, it was harder, she noticed as she glanced up at Ridge's look and found even more worry over all this than she felt. He was nothing if not optimistic himself though, just not blindly so. No Ridge was strong even in to saying things he didn't full believe himself yet, but which he knew would keep up the other's faith. Harper was very grateful for it too, Ridge and his calm sense was what was going to get them through this.

"Well, we all up?". At the unwelcome voice of one of their captors, and as both walked into view, the kids turned as one to glare.

"Hey now, let's not start that again" the first of the runners said, "plus it's almost over". He watched as the children's faces showed guarded hope.

"You're...you're gonna let us go...soon?" Harper knew she was setting herself up for horrible disappointment and hated to be so dependent on these runners as to have her emotional state ride on what they said next, but she couldn't help it.

"Yes" the first runner nodded, "very soon our tests will be done and we'll be ready for the reveal, and you all get to be present for it!" he smiled.

The runner near him frowned, "But Veck, surly we can't...". Veck jabbed his brother, "Quiet Lars, I will have full proof with me when we give the speech, or do you want a repeat of what happened at the cliff face?" he asked.

Whatever this was in reference to, it apparently hadn't been a good thing as Lars frowned more, lowering his head, "No, I don't" he answered.

Even bringing up this memory himself seemed to bother Veck. "We'll show them, don't you worry, we'll show them" he muttered. He then turned back to the children now watching in slight confusion at this conversation. He smiled brightly again, "Well, shall we have the little flyer show us her tricks today?" he turned to Harper and she went from looking just confused and curious to sick again.

"What exactly are you gonna do?".

~~~~

Harper had been given stretches of time over the now two days when her wings would be unbound so that she didn't cramp or anything but she was always watched so that she didn't flap off and the time wasn't very long. It seemed she would be flight-able longer this time, though immediately after the vines were removed from her wrists a similar system was tied about one foot.

"Now" Veck said, "All we need you to do, if you would kiddo, is to fly up high enough for us to get a feel of your normal flight patterns but still see everything, so just go on up to the rock walls".

Harper glanced up at the rim of rock and sky and sky puffies above, "A-and then?" she asked.

"Listen close, here's the system" Veck said, "when we tug", he tugged down to demonstrate, "you come down. A lash along the line" he flicked the rope like a whip, and even if it didn't hit her Harper found she didn't like the jolt and probably wouldn't like it miles up in the air, "...and you fly the opposite direction of your current one. Two flicks", again he went on and showed her, though Harper frowned, feeling she didn't need that demonstration, she got it, "...and try a circular movement about the walls. Never go higher than the walls! and don't go getting any ideas!". Harper would have felt left out if he hadn't added this threat the others had received as well.

"Got it?" Veck asked. "Got it" Harper sighed. Slowly she flapped up and felt some relief at the act of flying yet again, though she knew she wasn't free. That almost made it worse, to fly up higher and higher, on just near the rock walls and see the expanse of ground about, yet still to know she couldn't escape.

Or could she? It was all so tempting to believe possible. Just tug extra hard and she'd be free, she could flap off and...and then what of the twins? What of Ridge? She...she could get help, go fly off and...she didn't even know where she would begin to look for help and what if the runners did something horrible to the others while she was gone, or worse she never found her way back?!

She looked down. From this height she'd reached, Ridge, the twins and their captors were mainly just specks recognizable by their shape but her heart sank as she realized that she truly was trapped, even had the vine not been there. There was a lash along the line and Harper realized they wanted her to begin with flying any direction, so she did, heading right. She was instantly given the lash along the line to change. Ok, apparently they wanted her to start with left for some reason.

It was all so annoying, especially as every time a lash was delivered along the line, Harper felt she would lose her balance and falter out of the sky. The lashes of two to signal circles were doubly worrying and by halfway through this exercises she was very tempted to brave their wrath and fly down to ask if maybe there was another way to do this.

As she flew, and almost to put her mind to something, anything, else but her predicament, Harper glanced out about her, past the rock wall she was flying semi-level with but could still see over. For not the first time since this exercise started, the little flyer wondered at the runners even doing this. Before she'd only thought the thought at the back of her mind, but now she gave full attention to it and how she was very visible up here. Someone could easily see her. This thought caused more hope to flood in and Harper scanned about, almost willing for their to be some dinosaur about that she could try to get the attention of. All was desolate.

There was another lash and she went from circles to flying left again. She already understood that by the time she reached the other rock wall she would have to change directions and so the tugs to tell her to do this every time she did reach the wall were getting her even more annoyed and worried. She was going to fall! Already a few times she had found herself almost losing air and she thought she heard the others yelling at the runners to tell them this, but being this high she couldn't be sure.

Again, almost in more desperation the little flyer scanned her surroundings and...was that a figure, another speck...out...outside the wall?! Harper strained her eyes and tried to slow unnoticeably to give herself more time to watch. She was so almost wishing a form to be there that she couldn't tell but it could be real. It was either someone flying or maybe a ground walker on the far off ledge she was seeing.

Deciding to take a chance, and her hope not allowing for her to recall how it might get her and the others in trouble, Harper opened her beak to call out. She never got to call what she wanted. Veck had apparently noticed she was going slower and tugged to speed her up. Finally, what Harper feared would happen did, she lost her current and began to tumble down. Her cry turning into one of her falling and not anything verbal as she spiraled down towards the ground.

Mama's Girl

• Spike
    • View Profile
So updated are already slow with this just as I had to write a few chapters ahead of what I've updated to make sure I'm taking the story how I want.

With that and the fanfic voting, I'm probably going to put this story on hold until after that so that I don't get ahead of my readers who will no doubt be reading and reviewing the entries, and especially with my next chapters all that's revealed is better taken in chapter by chapter.

So that's looking like the plan but I just wanted to tell my readers that so they dont' think I gave up. :)

Pterano

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Thanks! :DD I do apologize for my lack of reviews of late, but it's as you've said. I've been going over a lot of the submitted fanfics in the awards section lately, and though I HAVE been meaning to review this, if you couple my reading of everyone else's stories, plus all the things I have to do outside the forum, I haven't unfortunately found the time yet to sit down and give your two latest chapters a good read through. I WILL get to them, it just might take me a bit, so thanks for being patient and understanding. :)

(runner up)
(runner up)

trulyfantasticme

• Petra (He/They)
  • Member+
  • Ducky
  • Very Important Rock
    • View Profile
Yeah, thanks for the patience, bud! I was never good at that... :lol
Petra is a variant of the Greek name "Petros" meaning "strong" or "rock." Andi is a variant of the Greek name "Andy" meaning "masculine" or "brave." Therefore, I am tremendously brave and strong! :lol

Mama's Girl

• Spike
    • View Profile
Yeah, no worries I understand guys. And thanks for getting what I was honestly saying about just being helpful with it. I was afraid it might come off as all "no one's reviewing" pouting when I don't feel like that at all, as I said, understandable and if and once I get to 100 posts or whatever the limit is I'll give some of the fanfics my own reviews and reads.

I read the rules and you have to have been here longer than a month and have more than 100 posts. I thought I was out on both counts but after checking I'm just a bit shy of post count ;)

Hmm, should I just go do random forum stuff :lol

vonboy

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
I forgot I never reviewed this chapter :unsure:  I have read it though.

And I understand about you wanting to put this on hold. I'm putting my fiction on hold as well, so I can read others fiction and write complete reviews of them. Now, I WAS waiting for you to finish this story so I could write a review for it for the Fanfiction Awards, but since you're holding it off till after, I'll go ahead and write a review based on what you have. THAT'S why I didn't review earlier, I was waiting for you to finish it :DD

I'll try to write a review for this fic for the awards sometime today.

And about getting 100 posts, Just go find some topics your interested in and leave comments. I mean, don't just make random posts to get there :lol  I'm sure you can make 27 more relevant post pretty fast. Idk, you could post more in that flyer's RP, or there's some fridge or hobbies topics you could leave what you like/ are interested in, or your thoughts on things.

EDIT: OH wait, it's not even submitted yet :lol  Are you going to submit it to Mumbling?
---------------------

---------------------
(Runner-Up)

Pterano

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
OK, finally caught up! :DD Well it looks like the tests are still just as dangerous as ever :p I do like the interaction you had between Ridge's father and Pterano, and Pterano choosing to bow out of the decision to take his path. He's showing a lot of maturity in this, but also harboring some troubles within him as well. It has the potential to get explored further on.

Plus well... cliffhanger for Harper, there. :p

I know it's on hold, but looking forward to its resumption. :)

(runner up)
(runner up)

Mama's Girl

• Spike
    • View Profile
(Ok, I did tell myself anytime after the 16th I would start updating again, and, well it is the night of the 16th...I understand if my readers are still reading through submitions for the awards and obviously I've by now answered that, no, I decided not to submit this unfinished to the fanfic awards.

But here's the next chapter anyway! and I'm back to regularly updating going off what seems to be the pace of reading, though no rush at all guys honest :DD)

X: Out of the Woods Yet?

From the moment that cry of a young flyer falling out of the sky sounded out, Petrie recognized it and the falling form in a heartbeat. He would know both the sound and sight anywhere, having caused all of his siblings to fall out of the sky enough times during practice for the Day of the Flyers. Harper's falling form looked a bit off this time though, her wings seeming next to her body and not out, which could be very bad indeed.

Either way, right as Pterano had thought he noticed something off near a section of rocks, and turned to tell the ground walkers of this, the small flyer next to him got a determined look on his face and darted off before explaining to anyone.

"Petrie! Come back!" he heard his uncle's cry but didn't heed it, continuing to flap over with all he had. He noticed Guido right beside him as he flew over closer to the rock wall and then, tucking his wings, made for a dive to catch up to Harper's falling form quicker. The little flyer did a pretty impressive leveling out and then caught his sister/let her fall straight onto him. The latter seemed a better description since to catch her would have implied they both stopped once he'd done so, but this wasn't the case. Instead Petrie felt his sister and a whole mess of vines collide with him and then the both of them continued on down towards the ground, nothing accomplished except perhaps a slight slowing of the fall.

Just as Petrie went to scream, both flyers were rammed into yet again by a heavier object, Guido, who was more successful in knocking them both into a tumble rather than plop as they all three hit the ground. It took a moment for any of the three to fully register what had happened. Harper registering the fact that she wasn't dead and the presence of the boys, while they in turn registered that they had landed in a tangle of vines which they now extracted themselves from to stand. For a moment Petrie and Guido stared at the section of vines they'd each taken up to step out from under.

"Petrie! Guido!" Harper's happy cry snapped their attention back down to her and Petrie now saw the reason for Harper falling without her wings out, the vines had somehow entangled all about her in the fall. Clearly it was lucky the boys had come to the rescue when they had. They helped her up and out of the mess and then Petrie wasted no time in next giving his sister a hug.

"Me sorry, me so sorry me yell" Petrie said, next stepping back and looking at Harper, "me been so worried me not get to say that".

A smile came to Harper's face and she moved forward to hug Petrie herself, "Me too" was all she said, but it didn't even begin to scratch the surface of what at least having this much of her family back after she'd felt she'd never see anyone again meant. A bit reluctantly, since this moment was safe and she didn't want to lose that for worse, Harper made herself step back and now noticed Guido as well.

"And thanks to you, Guido, for also saving me" she smiled.

The gilder grinned and kicked at the greenfood on the ground, "Just...returning the favor" he said; after all Petrie and all his siblings had plucked him and Tricia out of fast water first.

Ridge and the twins rushed up. "Harper! Are you ok?" the spiketail asked.

"Yeah, fine" the flyer answered, "Thanks to my brother, Petrie and good friend, Guido" she next both explained and introduced with a wing on either of the boys' shoulders. She next went on to explain to them too, "This is Ridge. The runners took him too".

"Runners?" Petrie and Guido glanced to her and then Ridge and the twins. Harper hadn't been aware they weren't that caught up.

"Like the normal kinds of runners or the more...colorful ones?" Guido asked. The broad term was used for more than one kind of two footer sometimes.

Before Harper could answer, the two runners in question appeared. "Well, what do we have here?". Harper found herself more bold that she would have told you she was, just from knowing what these two were like and suddenly becoming convinced she wasn't going to let them anywhere near her brother or their friend. She frowned and stood in front of the two boys.

"It's the colorful ones..." Guido muttered, glancing over at Petrie as they both let their minds try to piece this together but both not liking what they came up with when they did.

Petrie frowned, "They probably not...".

"Hey! Quiet back there!" Veck snapped, eyes traveling over all the kids as he tried to figure out what to do with this next development. It wasn't exactly a problem, just as long as this didn't lead to them being found out before...

"I see an entrance this way!" as what sounded like a very grown spiketail said this, Veck turned, thoughtful scowl on his face. Beside him, his brother, Lars, looked more nervous.

"The spiketail's family, they've...".

"Shut up!" Veck reached over to clamp a hand over his brother's mouth. He kept staring at the opening, his mind seeming to work in quick succession, trying to figure out a way out of this. Sure, eventually these kids would all get to go home, but timing was crucial in this! What to do? Hide the kids? Not enough time.

"Come on!" Veck motioned to his brother and started towards the opening. With slower steps, not sure if what he thought Veck had come up with would work, Lars followed. "We're gonna seal the opening" Veck made sure to keep his voice down, "we've got a somewhat long tunnel to do it in, help me with these rocks!" he began to roll one.

Ridge had been staring at the opening, thinking as well. He knew the voice of that spiketail that had called out. It was his father, just on the other side of that tunnel...if he could get through before the runners sealed it...yes. What were they going to do once he was with his whole herd? It wasn't like he would leave the others, they would come with him in the dash too. They'd all make it to freedom where they couldn't be touched!

The spiketail glanced back at the others, "I've got a plan, get ready".

Harper instantly realized how changed something about the spiketail's look was. The hope and longing of being this close was too much for him, as it had been for her, he was about to act very recklessly. "Ridge...no" she reached over to put a wing on his shoulder. The little flyer didn't even explain, wasn't even sure if she could, how she knew it wouldn't work and was a bad idea.

She didn't have to. The quiet, worried look he found the flyer giving him was enough to cause Ridge to think and give up his plan. He sighed.

"Hey, no worries" Guido spoke up, "We're the rescue party! And the rest of the rescue party is right over there in giant number! What are they gonna do?".

"Guido..." Petrie caught his friend's attention, "They same kind of runners". The gilder frowned as he realized where Petrie was going with this. Oh yeah, by the pieces the two had put together, these two runners were probably the lost ones of the runner herd that had been with them. Sure the other runners seemed nice, but...how would this all lay once they were reunited?

"Same kind of runners? What do you mean?" Harper turned to them to ask.

Petrie gave a nervous smile, "We maybe bring help or maybe more trouble. Not sure which now" he said. Harper and the others looked confused. Before anyone could say more, all of their attention was drawn back to the entrance by the eruption of a commotion. With a smash and roar, Ridge's father burst through one of the blocking rocks with his tail, advancing on the two-footers he noticed putting it up.

The two runners had just backed up in shock when another cry sounded. "Veck! Lars!" the matriarch of the runners rushed forward to quickly embrace her sons. Her mate rushed up as well. Now noticing the similarities he should have before, Ridge's father paused as the others of the searching herd entered the clearing as well.

Seeing one of the members of this herd, Harper side-glanced over to Petrie. "Uncle Pterano...?" she breathed. Her brother smiled gladly like he'd personally found their relative himself.

"Auntie Cera!" before any of the older kids could stop them, Dinah and Dana rushed over towards where their aunt stood with her other friends and the two adults. The runners' distraction could be their cover though and Ridge and Harper only glanced to each other briefly to verify that they both thought it could work, before they, along with Petrie and Guido rushed over as well for what could be their only opening.

Petrie85

• Cera
    • View Profile
What a fantastic chapter right there.It was very well written. I loved how you put it together. I'm looking forward to the next chapter you will make. It was epic.

Pterano

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Well that was pretty short and intense. :yes I liked how Petrie and Guido really shone there, rushing out to save Harper. And then the adults broke in and the "cavalry" arrived, though now it's a little up in the air if Veck and Lars's parents are really OK or not. They seemed fine before but... I guess I'll have to wait and see. :)

And them making a break for it was a good idea. Left off with a nice cliffhanger and got me looking forward to the next bit. :)

(runner up)
(runner up)

vonboy

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Yeah, nice chapter. I really liked the uncertainty in this chapter, with Petrie not knowing if it really was a good idea bringing that herd along. Don't really know how the next chapter will play out, which is great! I'm waiting to see how these different groups are gonna interact.
---------------------

---------------------
(Runner-Up)