The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Happy Birthday emails

aabicus (LettuceBacon&Tomato)

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Rations
    • View Profile
    • aabicus.com
What if a "Happy Starday From the Gang of Five!" email was sent to whomever is having their birthday? It would remind old users about this forum, and might bring some back, if only to comment in their respective Starday thread.

Also, it'd be a nice present to receive regardless. What say all?

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
an interesting idea.  Not sure if it would be counted as a spam, or if the admin can even set something like that up on a forum of this type.

Amaranthine

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Can You Love Me Despite The Cracks?
    • View Profile

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I wonder if they would see that as spam... Maybe some members dont want to be around or hear anything from this from any more( dunno why, but its possible) in that case it would be quite annoying.

And nobody really came for the 5th aniversairy either.

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Maybe if an admin wanted to do that folks could send them their email.  Not sure if any admin want to do that or would see it as a needless frill sort of thing.

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.thelandbeforetime.org
If someone took the effort to give their email address to an admin and tell them to email them on their birthday, chances are they'll be here forever. :p

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Rations
    • View Profile
    • aabicus.com
There's loads of users who've given their email addresses. Isn't an email address required to become a user on this site?

f-22 "raptor" ace

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
there's the possibility that some members have changed their email adress.

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
There's loads of users who've given their email addresses. Isn't an email address required to become a user on this site?

Members email addresses are not recorded automatically at sign up.  They would have to specifically give an admin their email address in order to participate in this.  It's considered spam to just email a person because they specified an email address in their profile (that is unless it specified somewhere in the sign up agreement they agreed to when they joined that this is okay).

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Rations
    • View Profile
    • aabicus.com
Then was it spam when we sent them the GOF 5th anniversary email?

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I assume not since it was an admin, the owner I think, doing an admin announcement of the forum's 5th anniversary & the special celebration they were invited to.  Just my opinion though.

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Rations
    • View Profile
    • aabicus.com
It would be the admins sending this one as well. And again, why would it be spam? We're wishing them a happy birthday! We're being nice!

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
UP to the admin if they would consider it spam or want to do that.

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Well I never got a 5th anniversary email.  If they sent emails out, then it MUST say something about that in the agreement.  In that case, than it's a fine idea, but we shouldn't go sending emails until we look over the agreement.  To be honest I never read it and I'm sure 99% of you didn't either. :p I just read the "official rules" topic and disregarded the agreement.  I assumed it was from invisionfree and not GOF anyway, but if it was from GOF, it MUST say something about allowing GOF to send emails to you for whatever reason they choose.

Cancerian Tiger

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I received a starday email (which was very nice and I appreciate it), so I'm certain they've started this by now :yes.

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I received one too. Maybe it's in one of your other emails, lbtl ? :p

Petrie.

• Hatchling
  • It's good to be the king!
    • View Profile
The GOF 5th anniversary email was sent to whichever email address you registered with.  Its not spam, and its actually quite vital if we ever have to make boardwide announcements.  If you no longer use the address you registered with, there's not much I can do about that and you won't get any emails I send out to all registered members.  Not to worry--the GOF 5th anniversary is the only one I have done in that manner, and it was a very special occasion.

I can't take the time to send out birthday emails like that.  I'll leave it to the members to send their own emails to members with a birthday.

f-22 "raptor" ace

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Quote from: Petrie,Nov 2 2008 on  08:00 PM
If you no longer use the address you registered with, there's not much I can do about that and you won't get any emails I send out to all registered members.  Not to worry--the GOF 5th anniversary is the only one I have done in that manner, and it was a very special occasion.

Dang i switched my email adress a while ago.

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
You can change your email address that is set.  I poked around in the my controls area and found an area that seems to let you do that.

Petrie.

• Hatchling
  • It's good to be the king!
    • View Profile
That might work...never had to change an address to know if changes in the admin cp too.