The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Fanart by Mumbling

Mumbling · 528 · 58599

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
With the picture of Aves I found and posted in his anniversary topic, I also found this petrie:

It's really an awesome petrie! :o

Cancerian Tiger

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
It really is awesome :yes!  He looks so adorable :smile!

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile

Cancerian Tiger

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
So cute I could squeeze her, but she'd literally fall apart :lol.

Pangaea

• Member+
  • Cera
  • Contemplator of Deep Time
    • View Profile
That's great! :wow The colors are close to perfect, and the fine details like the eyes, nostrils, horn, ears, toes, and frill horns (epoccipitals) are incredible! The mouth and frill are a little small, but it's nonetheless an awesome clay figure! :yes Very cute, too. :DD

Any chance we can see her from the side, or even the back? (I don't suppose you included the ridge on her spine?) :)

Pronounced "pan-JEE-uh". Spelled with three A's. Represented by a Lystrosaurus.

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Quote from: Pangaea,May 21 2010 on  10:47 AM
That's great! :wow The colors are close to perfect, and the fine details like the eyes, nostrils, horn, ears, toes, and frill horns (epoccipitals) are incredible! The mouth and frill are a little small, but it's nonetheless an awesome clay figure! :yes Very cute, too. :DD

Any chance we can see her from the side, or even the back? (I don't suppose you included the ridge on her spine?) :)
I agree that the frills and the mouth are a little small. I have incidentally not put her second colour above her mouth either (it should have been there).

And sadly enough I forgot the spine on the back... I have put some dents in there, but nothing that can be seen on a picture. This is because I based her on one single picture I had with me from a VHS tape, on which the back was not visible.. So the back is not really interesting :p

Pangaea

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Oh well. I'd still like to see a side view, if that's possible. :)

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Still, very good work.  Going to make more of Cera and or the other characters?

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Iris, if you go to college and you don't take an Art Class in your first year, you'd better have a good explanation.  Talent like yours must not be wasted. :)

Seriously, looking at how good you are at drawing, I'm jealous of you! :D

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Quote from: Pangaea,May 21 2010 on  08:03 PM
Oh well. I'd still like to see a side view, if that's possible. :)
There you go.

Kor, Yes I was planning on making the others as well. I'll see when I have the time.

John, I'm not going to take art class. I'm not good enough for that, they'll just laugh at me. Seriously, you should be way better to be good at art class.

Edit: I just lolled at the fact that the picture gives her a huge head  :lol

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile

Pangaea

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Quote from: Mumbling,May 24 2010 on  12:23 PM
John, I'm not going to take art class. I'm not good enough for that, they'll just laugh at me. Seriously, you should be way better to be good at art class.
Isn’t the purpose of an art class to develop and hone art skills? I’d say you definitely have something good to start with. :yes

P.S. Thanks for posting the new picture. :)

I love the new Spike. :DD That's a very cute sleeping pose. You even put little grooves on his eyelids to show that they're closed. :! And a notched spinal ridge, too! Even the ear holes look good.

A couple of things I did want to mention regarding his plates: first, one of them is almost two-dimensional, while most of the others are basically little globes clinging to his back; I think they'd look better if they were all little domes. Second, they're paired; Spike should have alternating plates (three/five on one side, two/three on another). I suppose when you're making such tiny models, it's difficult to get such details right. (I can't tell exactly how big they are, but judging by the size comparison to that moss in the second picture, Spike must be pretty small).

Again, great model! Can't wait to see more! :)

Cancerian Tiger

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile

I'm sorry, but I have to disagree with that statement.  Art is intended to allow an individual an outlet for SELF expression, not what everyone else wants them to do.  There were numerous artists (Van Gogh for example) that did not see much success in what they loved doing most, and now they are known worldwide and their work can be found in displays allover.

BTW, Van Gogh's one of my favorite famous artists :smile.

Anyhoo, my point is that its okay to express yourself in art and not conform to others.  If they laugh, just flip 'em the bird.  They're not responsible for yur happiness ;).

Okay, now that I'm off my soapbox, Spike does look very cute :smile.

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
A couple of things I did want to mention regarding his plates: first, one of them is almost two-dimensional, while most of the others are basically little globes clinging to his back; I think they'd look better if they were all little domes. Second, they're paired; Spike should have alternating plates (three/five on one side, two/three on another). I suppose when you're making such tiny models, it's difficult to get such details right. (I can't tell exactly how big they are, but judging by the size comparison to that moss in the second picture, Spike must be pretty small).

Yea, two of them flattened when I tried to put his head in the right position... I agree it would look better as little domes, but as you cleverly remarked that is quite hard for such tiny models :p The plates you see are mostly smaller than 2mm.

I did not know they were paired. I guess once again I should have had looked into more example pictures, do you think you can find a picture which shows this?

Personally I am not very satisfied with the colours, however now I know which colours to pick for the next time :)

@CT My elementary school was called Vincent van Gogh :P: I like his art too. However art is not my thing, maybe something related to it, but not art directly.

Thanks! :)

Saft

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Oh these are wonderful. They are made from the clay craft that you received for your birthday?

Spike is my favourite.  I love his sleeping pose, fantastic.  

Also regarding art; if you want to take it as a course I think you should.  Art is whatever you make it.  There are no right or wrongs...you improve on skills, learn new ones and interpret how you want the art work to be.  Now, not everyone is going to like your art but if it's something that you love doing, you should definetly look into it.  

Anyway, even if art isn't ''your thing''...you can possibly still take it on as an ''extra'' in College.  I don't know the procedure for colleges or universities in your country but where I'm going (university) I have to take ''extra'' course(s) to gain the credits that I'll require for passing the Hon.  This can be on any subject. So again, might be worth looking into...

Again can't wait to see more.  :)

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Quote from: Saft,May 29 2010 on  07:50 PM
Oh these are wonderful. They are made from the clay craft that you received for your birthday?
Yes.

Thank you :)

Chiletrek

• Cera
    • View Profile
Hello:
 Hey, they look very cute indeed. I look forward to see pics of the other characters... and I guess you'll be making Chomper and Ruby too?

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Not sure about ruby yet, I just kind of made a chomper

I don't like it, at all, next to the colors. I had these two colors as a left over from other stuff, they were just sitting on my room and I'd play with them so now and then, only today I realised they were chomper's colors.

So anyway, here he is. Far from perfect, and I'll definitely be making a better one :D No critique needed, I know all the proportions are odd because it is so extremely tiny.

Pangaea

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Quote from: Mumbling,May 29 2010 on  12:19 PM
I did not know they were paired. I guess once again I should have had looked into more example pictures, do you think you can find a picture which shows this?
It’s very obvious in the scene in the first movie just after the gang have sighted the grove of trees from the mouth of a cave, and Ducky is urging Spike to run from the incoming herd of longnecks. I didn’t have a screenshot of that scene, so here’s a picture from the production cels and drawings topic that similarly showcases the positioning of Spike’s plates.

Spike has more than five plates, but the number (as well as the positioning) tends to vary based on the size and detail of Spike in any given scene. Sometimes the animators even mistakenly pair the plates. Also, in the first movie at least, the rows seem to be staggered in such a way that the plates appear to be paired from certain angles (In other words, they look like this ?.  ?.  ?. rather than like this ? . ? . ? .).

Personally I am not very satisfied with the colours, however now I know which colours to pick for the next time :)
I like the colors myself. Sure, they might be a little bright for Spike, but I think they're pretty. :p I'm very fond of that particular shade of green.