The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Can you hear it?

Petrie.

• Hatchling
  • It's good to be the king!
    • View Profile
http://mp3ornot.com/

Even though the person who made this picked a pretty easy track to encode, I knew which was which immediately.  Use decent speakers and its plain as day which one is a low quality mp3 file.  He should've made it harder using -V0 vbr (instead of -b 320) and -V5 vbr (instead of -b 128).  VBR is much much better for quality and its gotten very good as of late.

(If nothing else, you have a 50% chance of guessing right if you really can't hear the difference.)

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Yep, I got this one right without a huge amount of trouble. B)
Basically, if you can't get this one right, you probably don't need to bother with bitrates over 192.

Did you check out my more lengthy, detailed mp3 compression test a few topics down?

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.thelandbeforetime.org
I could tell right away which one was the crap one.  One sounded all crappy like it was muffled or something while the other one sounded perfect.  I tried this on several computers, and I couldn't tell the difference on my laptop speakers because naturally all laptop speakers suck no matter how good the computer is. -_- The only exception I've ever seen was this Vaio laptop I got in my shop one time.  It had mini Bose speakers in it.  That computer must've been worth a lot of money. :p

TheNumberOneShmuck

• Spike
    • View Profile
Hmm... maybe if I'd been using speakers I could tell the difference, but since it's night, I'm restricted to my headphones.

Couldn't tell the difference here, but with full music tracks, at least the ones I listen to, I can tell the difference between a 128k version and a 192k version, even with regular, cheap headphones on my mp3 player.

I'll check it out again later, when I can use my speakers.

Lillefot

• Cera
    • View Profile
Hey,

Couldn't tell diference  :blink:

/Lillefot
Do well. Live well. And dress very well.

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
It was definitely easier for me to tell on my speakers than my headphones....these headphones drive me nuts sometimes.  :lol

Petrie.

• Hatchling
  • It's good to be the king!
    • View Profile
Go Senn and you'll never go back.  :D  :D

TheNumberOneShmuck

• Spike
    • View Profile
But I was using Sennheisers...

Anyway, tried it on my speakers just now, and there is indeed a difference, but maybe I just have really poor speakers(probably: 2.1 set, $15 from ~3.5 years ago, got them at Fry's), because I could barely hear it. Took me three passes before I was sure.