The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Saving Rock 'n Roll

Petrie.

• Hatchling
  • It's good to be the king!
    • View Profile
There was a story on CNN about saving rock and roll and how new musicians haven't learned the craft to be successful, long-term acts in the music biz.  I think they're right on the head in many cases regarding music's use and purpose (ie the ipod walking down the road).

See what you think:

http://www.cnn.com/2009/SHOWBIZ/Music/05/2...iref=newssearch

The blog posts on the article are pretty accurate as well:

http://marquee.blogs.cnn.com/2009/05/20/saving-rock-n-roll/

Petrie.

• Hatchling
  • It's good to be the king!
    • View Profile
This one post on the blog makes perfect sense too:

“Rock is dead.”

This phrase has been thrown around a lot in the past few years…no wait, decade…excuse me–since Kurt Cobain died. And before Nirvana, well, rock was dead then too. And before Guns ‘N Roses, rock died back then too. And when John Lennon died, rock died with him. The list goes on and on. That’s it! I’m sick of it! Rock is always “dead” according to “authorities” on the subject. I want everyone to take a stand against such asinine comments

What we hear on the radio is apparently what people classify as “rock,” and this is because it is commercially-produced music for the average listener. It is aimed at those who have yet to evolve their tastes past what they are force-fed. If this sounds pretentious, I apologize. I am simply exhausted by the amount of people that criticize an art that has moved past them. The general public is largely disconnected with music, and it is heartbreaking. Yes, that includes you, Little Stevie (I love The Sopranos, but come on–do some research!). Commercial radio does not play the much of the best music that is released, largely due to the fact that they fear it will result in a drop in listeners. That’s fine. That’s business. When people begin to make bold claims such as “Rock is dead,” I start to take it personally. Rock is an ever-evolving genre, and when the radio experiences a lull in good music, it is not because there is no available good music; is because we are in the midst of change. We need to stop being told what to listen to and become individuals. We think and feel differently…why should we all listen to the same music?

I am someone who is largely defined by my music tastes. In high school, I also thought rock was dead. I listened to the radio, and never heard anything with staying power. Songs came as fast as they went, largely forgettable and ephemeral. Once I got to college, I shunned the radio and started searching for music on my own. I was stunned to find the plethora of music that was not only engaging, but absolutely gorgeous (and rocking!). My music tastes have evolved well beyond where I ever thought they could, and I have never been more passionate about music. It is my livelihood–I listen to it constantly.

There are some that say, “Well why should I have to search for music?” You don’t have to–just don’t complain about it. For those who really want to make a statement, however, a few words of advice: It doesn’t matter what anyone thinks of the music you like except for you. Be original. Use the internet, your friends, iTunes, whatever works–because once you find that music you think rocks, you’ll know that Steven Van Zandt is wrong. Just look at all the great music that has come out this year alone: Animal Collective, The Pains Of Being Pure At Heart, Bat For Lashes, Franz Ferdinand, Phoenix, Yeah Yeah Yeahs, Cymbals Eat Guitars, Japandroids etc. And don’t forget bands like Radiohead, who (I believe) are the greatest band in the world. They are purveyors of change. You want to tell me that rock is dead? HA! Indie rock is thriving.

Why don’t you do something about it and stop waiting for music to come to you?