The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Music

Megatoph

• Petrie
    • View Profile
    • http://s8.invisionfree.com/AvP2000
whats your favorate song or songs?

my favs are...

back in black(acdc)
shook me all night long(acdc)
miles away(not sure who sings that)
the touch(featured in transformers the movie)
godzilla(by blue oyster)
when you say nothin at all(again unknown artist)
dont close your eyes(unknown artist)
big city nights(scorpions)
send me an angel(scorpions)
no pain no gain(scorpions)
almost unreal(roxette)
the look(roxette)
time after time(unknown artist)
convoy(unknown artist)
fire on the mountain lightning in the air(unknown artist)

Dash The Longneck

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Smells Like Teen Spirit[Nirvana]

Stupify[Disturbed]

Down With the Sickness[Disturbed]

Any Eminem song.

Probably some more that I can't think of I like a lot of different kids of songs.

Cyberlizard

• Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://raptoid.deviantart.com/
I only listen to the Halo and Halo 2 music score by Marty O Donnel. XD  I like all of his songs.

Littlefoot Fan

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Hmmm, my current favorites are...

Offspring - The Kids Aren't Alright
Die Happy - Supersonic Speed
Breaking Benjamin - Water
Fall Out Boy - Dance Dance
Disturbed - Stricken
Disturbed - Glass Shatters
Disturbed - Get Psycho
Disturbed - Plug
Muse - Hysteria
Muse - Butterflies and Hurricanes
Muse - Time is Running Out
Nightwish - Dark Chest of Wonders
Nightwish - Ghost Love Score
Nightwish - The Pharoah Sails to Orion
Flogging Molly - Another Bag of Bricks
Kamelot - Forever
Kamelot - Center of the Universe
Kamelot - Karma

I think that's all of them :P:

Petrie.

• Hatchling
  • It's good to be the king!
    • View Profile
^ Laugh if you want, but I don't know a single one of those songs or artists.  :o

I usually stick to classic rock, disco, oldies, and soundtracks.

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
"Time After Time" is by Cyndi Lauper, Titan, she also did "all Through the Night" and "manic mondays".
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

Littlefoot1616

• The Circle
  • Cera
  • The game is on; so let's play!
    • View Profile
Some cool artists and bands named there. Music for me is as diverse as can be. I like just about anything short of opera and classical but here goes:

Muse - Pretty much the whole Absolution album + Bliss, Plug in Baby, Newborn
System of a Down - BYOB, Chop Suey
Queens of the Stone Age - Go with the Flow
Silverchair - Cemetary, Israel's Son
Killswitch Engage - End of Heartache

Others:

Trance: - William Orbit, DJ Tiesto, DJ Epic, Flip N Fill, Darren Style, Hixxy, Special D and loadsa others

Soundtracks: - Kingdom Hearts, LBT, Final Fantasy, Metal Gear Solid, Resident Evil, Devil May Cry, Kill Bill, Lilo and Stitch

Boy, I must have the most random taste in music. No wonder I dont let anyone listen to my iPod...might think I've got a few loose screws LOL! :lol

Littlefoot Fan

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Muse - Pretty much the whole Absolution album + Bliss, Plug in Baby, Newborn
I love you :lol:

Littlefoot1616

• The Circle
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Corrr blimey! Steady on!  :o  :blink: LOL :lol Not in public!  :P:

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
I wanted to post here, but I wrote about 45 minutes worth of typing here, hit Submit, and got a Server Error.  When I returned to the post, my entire post disappeared!  Nooooo!  All that thought, lost!  Is there a length limit for posts on here?  It was Pretty long, what I typed up in here (I'm a fairly fast typist (50 - 65 WPM average); I can type a lot in 45 minutes :p)

Well, I'll divide it up into two or more posts this time.
(I think it's Karma.  I deleted a bunch of text from RR's post in the Project forum earlier today by mistake, so I get my essay deleted :lol )

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
There is no post-length limit here, but I too had it a few times that I lost long messages on which I had typed for ages. You have my deepest sympathy. Therefore I made it a habbit to mark my texts and save it by pressing ctrl+c before I post it.

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Here we go... :lol
convoy(unknown artist)
If you're referring to the new, remake version of Convoy, the artist is Paul Brandt.  If you are referring to the original version, I'm afraid I do not know the name of the original artist.

Ahh, music...This is a difficult question for me because of the nature of music itself.  It contains so many forms, and it is used for so many purposes, to name a Favorite piece of music is easier said than done.  As a result, I shall group my response by style.

First off, I shall talk about what many people refer to as Songs and Bands; "popular" artists who sing, play instruments, and make it onto CDs and radio in our world.  I tend to listen to a large variety of such music, much of it from the mid to late 1990s, and early 21st century.  There are some bands which I tend to listen to more than others, but I have yet to explain exactly why.  I shall start with a few:

Pop
ATC: A typical pop/dance band who originated in the early 2000s, whose songs tend to contain a steady, electronic beat and uplifting or catchy tunes.  There are also songs (like Lonely, for example) which aren't necessarily happy songs, but still have emotional and musical value to them.

-Around the World
-Mind Machine
-Until
-Lonely

Aqua: Very similar in style to ATC, but approximately 5 - 10 years prior, in thhe mid to late 1990s.

-Turn Back Time: A unique style for the band, and interesting accompaniment
-Lolipop (Candyman)
-My Oh My

Chris DeBurgh: A pop/rock artist of the mid-late 1980s mainly.

-Don't Pay the Ferryman
-Ship To Shore
-Lady in Red

Rock This Massive genre of music contains everything from light rock, such as Joan Osbourne's "One of Us" to hardcore and power metal, such as "The Pharoh Sails to Orion" by Nightwish.

Nightwish: A Finnish Symphonic Metal band which broke up a few months ago, after the lead singer was kicked out.  The other four members are still together, searching for a new lead singer.

-Fantasmic
-Dark Chest of Wonders
-Live to Tell the Tale
-She is My Sin

Sonata Arctica: Another Finnish Symphonic Metal band, closely related to Nightwish.  They have performed a few works together and share a similar style of music.

-Shamandalie
-Tallulah
-My Land
-White Pearl, Black Oceans

Kamelot: Another Euopean Symphonic Metal band.

-Soul Society
-Moonlight
-Wander

Here are a few other songs which I listen to on a somewhat regular basis.
Joan Osbourne -One Of Us
The Cult - She Sells Sanctuary (Long Version).  The radio edit version of this song is found on Gran Turismo 3 (PS2).
Animotion - I Engineer
Animotion - Obsession

I'm going to end this post here and continue on another one, before it crashes on me again :P:

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Country
I enjoy almost everything that comes out of the Country genre, mainly because it is so close to home.  The songs contain stories that the average person feels and can relate to, and others contain stories and images happy-go-lucky lifestyles and general good times.  I have a radio in my computer room, and its default preset is a country station.  This music has a life to it, found in no other style of vocal music in my experience.  Country artists are known to touch the soul of the listener, and I commend this genre for having a special place in the music world.  

I don't have a list of specific country artists whom I like, nor can I recall the names of many good country songs.  I just tend to enjoy the genre itself, for what it is; a down-to-earth look at the world, through vocal music.  Here are a couple of examples that come to mind, to show the variety of Country:

Road Hammer; a song about Working in general, and road construction, specifically.  I enjoy it because it's nice to listen to and the lyrics are so easy to relate to.  The artist has captured the world of work very nicely in this song.

Don't Take The Girl by Tim McGraw.  A classic song about a boy who meets a girl as a young child.  It's just a beautifully-written song, very pleasant to listen to, and very touching.

Moving on from typical vocal music, into the instrumental world.  Here, I'm starting with Video Game soundtracks.

Platform / Adventure games
I have always deeply enjoyed the effects that a good game soundtrack can have on the emotions of a player, and the impact it can have on the game.  Some prime examples of well-suited game soundtracks are the Donkey Kong Country series for Super Nintendo (aka. SNES), especially DKC 1 and DKC 2.  The music tends to suit the atmosphere of each location perfectly, capturing the essense of each environment so cleanly.  It compliments the game so nicely, I have always found that these two games had memorable soundtracks.  A very good example is the Haunted Forest music fron DKC 2.  The music has a clean, ambient sound, while remaining moving and melodic.  Wonderful work here.

As a slightly more modern example, Banjo-Kazooie (Nintendo 64) shows wonderful work in musical transitions.  The musica themes throughout an area are kept the same, but the style in which they are played change as the play moves throughout the area.  For example, if a player walks into a beach, the music changes to a tropical, steel-drum style.  If the player goes under water, this Same Music changes style in real-time to a smooth, melodic harp style, suitable for water.  This game is full of such transitions, and even many of the original music themes are fantastic.

RPGs
I have never been a big RPG fan, so my experience in the RPG world of games is rather limited.  My soundtrack of choice for RPG games goes to the SNES game, Earthbound.  The music was able to continue the comedic aspects of the game, while retaining the emotions for the serious aspects of the game.  The story of earthbound was strong and serious, and the plot-building pieces of music showed this very nicely, in a very unique style of sound.  

On another side of the picture, the battle themes in the game were extremely diverse, keeping the gamer at-ease throughout the course of the game.  Many RPGs are plagued with a small variety of battle musical themes.  Over time, the player may encounter a series of battles and become annoyed by hearing the same battle music OVER and OVER and OVER again as the hours go by.  This is why I chose Earthbound over Super Mario RPG.  Mario RPG was a very nice game, musically, however the single Battle theme got exceedingly annoying after playing the game for a bit.  Good thing it was catchy :p.  Earthbound boasts approximately 10 battle themes for the game, keeping the player refreshed during runs of repeated battles.  This was a very good idea on the developers' part.

Racing games
Some of the most unique racing music I've heard came from a little game series, not well-known, and not particularily well-liked.  The games?  Snowboard Kids 1 and 2 (Nintendo 64).  Ever since I played the original SBK, I oddly fell in love with the music.  It was just so randomly catchy, and some of the melodies were rather interesting.  The style was simple, yet unique.  I actually liked the music in these games so much that I recorded Both games' soundtracks to my computer, right off the game (using a reasonably sophisticated process, in order to get full quality.  None of this microphone-in-front-of-speaker stuff :p).  I also worked on a number of MIDIs for the game, though they were written years ago, and the quality isn't as high as you will see on my MIDIs I have posted here.

Some examples of music from the Snowboard Kids series can be found Here at the Video Game Music Archive, as midis. The midis sequenced by "Action" and "Action9000" are my work.  My best midi that I have posted for these games is "Sunset Rock".  My favorite midi, and favorite track from the game, however, is Silver Mt.  I must admit though, the MIDI by Dave Phaneuf is more accurate than mine.  The others aren't too bad, but I could do them much better now, if I gave it the time.  I also started working on a Snowboard Kids Megamix (as a MIDI file) a couple of years ago.  It seems to have died, as a project, but I still have it, and I actually really like its progress! :wow  It has interesting progression so far (though only just over a minute is complete).  If anyone is interested, I could post up what I have completed so far :lol

I'll continue this "essay" in the next post.

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Film Soundtracks
To be honest, I don't often listen to film soundtracks outside of the Land Before Time.  This is partly due to the fact that I don't have many other soundtracks on my computer, but also partly due to the fact that I appreciate James Horner's work in the Land Before Time that much.

In comparing the work of John Williams (Star Wars, Indiana Jones, Jaws, Harry Potter, etc.) to the work of James Horner (The Land Before Time, Apollo 13, Braveheart, Titanic, etc.), I must say, I have more appreciation for Horner's music.  Williams' music is very dramatic and memorable, yet it seems to have such an essense of "Hollywood", and his themes are so overused in many of his films, that the music almost seems "fake", for lack of a better word.  The apparent reality of the film is almost pushed away by the "Theatrical" music that overcomes the film itself.  The music becomes an icon of the film, and people remember it for the catchy theme.  The music does indeed compliment the films as it should, however it almost does so Too Much.  The music becomes so memorable that the film turns into a a hollywood blockbuster instead of a story, if that makes any sense.  Williams' music is almost....too commercial, is I suppose what I'm saying.

Horner's work in The Land Before Time did not suffer from this near as badly, in my opinion.  His themes were extremely diverse and elements of his music were exclusive to each scene in the film.  Rarely is the same music Exactly repeated in the original LBT.  Horner was able to capture each scene and vary his themes to fit them very nicely.  His music was very emotional, and didn't have a lot of the same typical Hollywood aspect of Williams' music.  The "If We Hold On Together" theme was used often, but its style was varied enough that it became accepted.  This style seems to be losing its place in the film world.  Even Horner is drifting to a more Williams style, to an extent.

I shall continue this topic later, but I am very tired.  I am  :p
I'll finish this soon. :wow
(Hmm, This isn't coming out quite as well as it did last time I wrote this "essay".  Oh well, I'm sure I'm sort of getting my point across :p )

Littlefoot1616

• The Circle
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Wow! I suppose this length is sorta expected from a music man such as yourself Action!  :D Do you see a career path in music for yourself at all?

Megatoph

• Petrie
    • View Profile
daaaaang action9000 your a music jocky like me. (some one who listens to music alott)

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Quote from: TITANOSAUR,May 5 2006 on  12:18 PM
daaaaang action9000 your a music jocky like me. (some one who listens to music alott)
 :lol You could say that

Megatoph

• Petrie
    • View Profile
I love music especualy the godzilla theme music composed by Akira ifukube. I also like the terminator theme music.

Mirumoto_Kenjiro

• Cera
    • View Profile
Here's my little list of music:

Around the World-ATC-Pop
Believe-Cher-Pop
Danger Zone-Unknown-Rock-Top Gun soundtrack
On Your Mighty Wings-Unknown-Rock-Same soundtrack
Don't Forget Me-Glass Tiger-Rock
Kryptonite-3 Doors Down-Rock
Bailamos-Enrique Inglesias-Latin
Livin La Vida Loca-Ricky Martin-Latin
I Like It Like That-Unknown-Latin
Fire-Scooter-(maybe) Dance
Mortal Kombat Theme-The Immortals-(also maybe) Dance
Lose Yourself (I think that's the name)-Eminem-Rap
Switch-Will Smith-Rap
Lost and Found-Will Smith-Rap
Miami-Will Smith-Rap (even Latin remixed)
Dragula-Rob Zombie-Metal
Superbeast-Rob Zombie-Metal

And anything made by Linkin Park, Sean Paul, Rhapsody, Limp Bizkit, KMFDM, Triumph, and Barenaked Ladies (they're really well-dressed gentlemen), and in the Pirates of the Caribbean & the Mummy Returns soundtracks.

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Dragula-Rob Zombie-Metal
Oh yes, how could I forget this one? B)

), and in the Pirates of the Caribbean & the Mummy Returns soundtracks.
Agreed :D "Pirates" has a wicked soundtrack!

Also, almost any song by Evanescence, especially "Bring me to Life" and "Whisper"