The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Happy birthday Pterano

Malte279 · 91 · 15746

bushwacked

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/Bushwackedboy?feature=mhee
Happy birthday Pterano! Hope you have fun :)

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
Congratulations Cal :)
I know the last days have been rather harsh for your, but I do hope that you have a good celebration anyway. Remember that there are many more and better days to come :yes
For your 27th year of life I wish you health, success, happiness, friendship, luck, peace, love, occupation and the spirit and energy it takes to get over and on :birthday

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Happy birthday, hope you have a great day.

:birthday :smile

Belmont2500

• Yet another wordsmith
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Happy birthday Cal, hope the coming days are kind to you.

vonboy

• Chomper: "Threehorns are better at everything, including rumpsteaks"
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Happy Birthday, Cal! :birthday

I hope you have a much better day today than you did yesterday, Cal. I wish the best for you. :yes
Come check out my new Youtube gaming channel, Game Biter!
---------------------
Littlefoot: "Look, Chomper. You're uncle is dead, and it's just right for your friends to be there for you. You'd be there if someone we know died, right?"

Chomper: "Well, sure I would!"

Come give my LBT TV Series fanfiction, PAST-O-RAMA, a read!
---------------------
(Runner-Up)

jansenov

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Happy birthday, Callan. Best wishes for the next year. Don't let life discourage you!

Pterano

• The Fabulous Fearsome Flyer
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Well thank you everyone for the birthday wishes. :) It wasn't as memorable as last year, but it wasn't bad either. Went to the Orioles game, which kinda sucked as we got stomped (and somehow ended up sitting in like the only section where the opposition sat as well). However, afterward was good as I went out with friends for food and drinks and ended on a mostly positive note. :yes

Thanks to Mr. Wonk for being the first to post here this year. And a big thanks to everyone else. :DD

(runner up)
(runner up)
---------------------------------------------------

Poster of the Gang of Five's 400,000th post

Mr Wonk

• Petrie
    • View Profile
Quote from: Pterano,Jun 28 2012 on  11:50 PM
Well thank you everyone for the birthday wishes. :) It wasn't as memorable as last year, but it wasn't bad either. Went to the Orioles game, which kinda sucked as we got stomped (and somehow ended up sitting in like the only section where the opposition sat as well). However, afterward was good as I went out with friends for food and drinks and ended on a mostly positive note. :yes

Thanks to Mr. Wonk for being the first to post here this year. And a big thanks to everyone else. :DD
Hey it was nothing. I'm happy that your happy. And is everyone else. :lol

Pterano

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Well upon further assessment, last night wasn't really all that good. I haven't slept much and I feel pretty stressed and out of sorts. Not the best of birthdays, in all honesty. Still though, I DO appreciate the well wishes from everyone. That was certainly one of the better parts of it. Honestly wish I was asleep right now instead of up with insomnia, but oh well.

(runner up)
(runner up)

Mr Wonk

• Petrie
    • View Profile
Quote from: Pterano,Jun 29 2012 on  04:45 AM
Well upon further assessment, last night wasn't really all that good. I haven't slept much and I feel pretty stressed and out of sorts. Not the best of birthdays, in all honesty. Still though, I DO appreciate the well wishes from everyone. That was certainly one of the better parts of it. Honestly wish I was asleep right now instead of up with insomnia, but oh well.
I'm sorry to hear that. I'm been having a few Nightmares recently so I've not had much sleep. :bang

Pterano

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Yeah, I have bouts of insomnia every now and then, but I haven't had it in awhile. Just my luck to get it on the night of my birthday I guess. :p Sorry to hear about your nightmares. That doesn't sound pleasant. :(

(runner up)
(runner up)

Mr Wonk

• Petrie
    • View Profile
Quote from: Pterano,Jun 29 2012 on  10:14 AM
Yeah, I have bouts of insomnia every now and then, but I haven't had it in awhile. Just my luck to get it on the night of my birthday I guess. :p Sorry to hear about your nightmares. That doesn't sound pleasant. :(
Of all nights but your luck will get better no matter what happens :DD. I'm just hoping I can get some sleep tonight. Know I fear for the wrost. :wow+:oops=:bang

Pterano

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Well don't worry, I'll probably be in the same boat tonight. :p My stress has increased rather a lot since this morning. I'm STILL sorting out this health insurance mess I've found myself in. I'm also hurriedly applying to this internship last minute, BUT, there are drawbacks even if I do get it. It'll mean a drastic cut in my pay as the internship is not paid and I'll have devote less hours to my regular job. Unless I can get a real job with benefits, this year could be really tough for me. It's certainly frustrating to the max.

(runner up)
(runner up)

Mr Wonk

• Petrie
    • View Profile
Quote from: Pterano,Jun 29 2012 on  12:35 PM
Well don't worry, I'll probably be in the same boat tonight. :p My stress has increased rather a lot since this morning. I'm STILL sorting out this health insurance mess I've found myself in. I'm also hurriedly applying to this internship last minute, BUT, there are drawbacks even if I do get it. It'll mean a drastic cut in my pay as the internship is not paid and I'll have devote less hours to my regular job. Unless I can get a real job with benefits, this year could be really tough for me. It's certainly frustrating to the max.
It sounds frustrating. If you did get the internship and spent less time on your regular job do there think there fire you for spending less time on your job? Or would there be lay back about it and understand what your going through? I hope you do get that one job that gives you benefits. :DD

Wish you luck tonight. :lol

Pterano

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
I'm not sure on that end. It's hard to say what they would do. That's why I see it as a pretty big risk. It's clear that I do in fact need a job with benefits, but the job market is insane right now. On average, 600 people apply to one job, making my efforts to get into any one place so far pretty fruitless.

(runner up)
(runner up)

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
Our situations are eerily similar Cal. I'm applying since 2009.

Mr Wonk

• Petrie
    • View Profile
That's why so many have set up there own business. But I guess not everyone has the money to start an business and if there even could or want to risk everything there own. :cry If you don't mind me asking what line of work do you wish to do? I understand if you do not wish to tell me. :smile

Pterano

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Yeah, but not only that, I have no desire to run my own business. I currently work for people that run their own small business, and they're constantly dealing with it with very little free time. It's literally a 24/7 job sometimes, and that's just not for me. My own father said it best when he told me: "I didn't want to run my own business because then you have to constantly monkey around with it" and it's certainly true. :p It's for some people, but not for me.

If you're asking about my long term career goals, then the thing I absolutely know beyond a shadow of a doubt what I want to do is work in the U.S. Foreign Service. That kind of lifestyle is exactly what I want, but the application process is very lengthy and very annoying. It will be years probably before I get in, and a minimum of two years at this point before I could start working for them. One has to first pass the standardized test, the FSOT (Foreign Service Officer Test). This test is extremely hard and only about 30% of applicants pass every year. If you don't pass, you have to wait an entire year before you can take it again. If you do pass, then you have to write five essays for the Review Panel to consider. After about four months after you took the exam/wrote the essays, you receive word from the Review Panel. They either reject you, or they invite you to the Oral Interview. The Oral Interview will take place about 5-6 months after you tested.

The Oral Interview is an intense, all day event in which you arrive around 7 AM and get out around 6 PM. You are run through a series of practice scenarios with a group, where you are tasked to come up with group solutions in a set time limit. After that, you're set through an intense series of questions from three FSOs and yourself. They ask you why you want to be in the Foreign Service, what you would do under certain situations, and about your personal background. Finally, the last part of the Oral Interview is the essay. You must compose an essay in a set time limit. Once you get through all of that, you FINALLY get the job offer at the end of the day, or you get sent home with nothing.

Sooooo... you passed the Oral Interview! What next? Well you don't get to work YET! Now you have to get a top secret security clearance which can take anywhere from 3-8 months depending on how many places you've lived in throughout your life. The State Department runs background checks on you and interviews everyone you know, trying to get a sense if you ever committed any major criminal acts and what sort of person you are. Once you get the clearance, you have to be medically cleared by a doctor, and after all THAT is done (usually about a year after you first tested), you finally get sent to basic training courses at their campus in Alexandria. You spend about 1-2 months in training classes, and then get to bid on which country you want to work in first from a list of current openings. Upon graduation, you get sent off to your first assignment and are FINALLY a Foreign Service Officer.

Lengthy process, right? :p I don't mind waiting for it, as it'll be worth it to me once I finally get in, but the problem I currently have is that I no longer have health insurance, and my current job is dragging me down and making me no longer enjoy my life. :p I've been looking into getting a job elsewhere, but so far, due to intense competition in the job market, my efforts have been failures. I'm looking for government work somewhere (which is over applied to now), or museum type work that would be a nice hold me over until I can get into the FS. Whatever job I pick up as a backup, I would like to get benefits too, to help my health insurance situation out.

(runner up)
(runner up)

Mr Wonk

• Petrie
    • View Profile
That really is a lengthy process. But it must feel so good when you do get the job in the end. When you get to the Oral Interview dress up as Pterano. (Only joking :lol)  

I see your dad's point about own business thing. I think I'm going to have to do it know. If people with amazing grades or skills fail to get a job then I don't think I have much chance ever. :cry

The museum ideal sounds good know. I think my Dad going to try and do something like that. He works at the BBC Television Centre in London. But there closeing it down so he won't have a job next year. :cry  

Anyway I'm sure you find that backup job you need. :DD