The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Redclaw and Sharptooth

ScratteLover2

I've been thinking that Sharptooth and Red-Claw were the same sharptooth since I saw Red-Claw the first time in TV series, I never doubted that, even since. But I doubt that the sharptooth from LBTVI, the black one, is the same one, he looks too small.

Noname

• The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://z6.invisionfree.com/Fantasy_RP_Board/index.php?act=idx
I very highly doubt they are one and the same; they look different, one was named and the other was not, one of them is also about 22 years old and anonymous, whereas Redclaw was not only named, but he probably had a back story to him that was never explained, but it probably involved Screech and Thud, and had something to do with Chomper, Ruby, and why they came to the valley.

We will never know, now that the series has been canceled, unfortunately. All we can do is speculate. I will say this, however, that "fan logic" and the logic used by the writers tends to be very different; the former often wishes to see things that would be interesting, but makes connections that aren't really there in the process.

Still, its all imaginary anyway, so feel free to speculate.

LBTFan13

• Cera
    • View Profile
I never believed that Red Claw and Sharptooth were the same. I think the producers of the TV series had no thoughts as deep as this. They just wanted a main sharptooth villain, and decided to name tweak it around and name it such.

My feeling, if it were to be explained, is that Red Claw chases after Littlefoot and the gang because he has some sort of grudge with Chomper and Ruby. Chomper's parents did "hire" Ruby to keep an eye out on Chomper, so maybe Red Claw and Chomper's parents have a history together.

Of course, at this point we will never know.

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://bluedramon.deviantart.com

LBTFan13

• Cera
    • View Profile
I don't think this topic should necessarily be closed off. It's a good debate question and both sides could be argued. At this point all we can really do is speculate on what might have been, but it can bring some good discussions.

ScratteLover2

Quote from: DarkHououmon,Jun 8 2010 on  07:34 AM
Perhaps this topic should be closed.
I agree with LBTFan13, I think that this section should stay about until the discussion whether they are the same or not is brought to a close (whether everyone accepts this or rejects).

F-14 Ace

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Sharptooth and Redclaw are NOT the same.  Redclaw is incompetent and has two lackeys who are also incompetent.  Sharptooth on the other hand was a loner, was a very capable fighter, was actually scary, and was capable of taking an incredible beating and still having the guts to come back for more.  Redclaw is weak and not nearly as threatening.

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
There is also the minor problem that Sharptooth died at the end of the original movie. Unlike in case of his first presumed death this one was pretty obviously real (and none of the makers at that time was thinking about a sequel, not to mention a TV-series). Other than the fact that they are both T-Rex, is there any point to even mildly suggest them to be identical?

LBTFan13

• Cera
    • View Profile
One could argue that Red Claw is meant to represent Sharptooth. When you think about it, Sharptooth was always persistent in pursuing Littlefoot and the gang, and Red Claw is no different. Red Claw's injured eye can be seen as reference to Sharptooth despite it being on the opposite eye. Why Screech and Thud were created is beyond me, most likely to have a diversity of sharpteeth enemies on the show. Now of course, Red Claw is not as threatening as Sharptooth, but he could serve as a representation of him.

Noname

• The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
It is possible that Redclaw is an Expy of the original sharptooth, but the two are clearly not the same creature. First, even taking into account different animators, writers, directors, and producers, Redclaw has never displayed even a fraction of the super strength of the original. The explanation of the water somehow weakening the original, if the original did survive, which was not the case, is unlikely or impossible, as falling off of a cliff did not weaken him, save for knocking him out for a while with no long-term degradations of his physical abilities.

The different skin color is also an issue. While age or disease can change one's skin color to a degree, even in some rare cases destroying the pigmentation, it would not change one's skin color from one pigmentation to another. There is also the matter of the scar on Redclaw going from his eye down his claw. While the original had an injured eye, there was no such injury of his hand. Furthermore, one of Redclaw's eyes was yellow, while the original has two red eyes. It seems that an injury turned one of Redclaw's eyes red, probably due to the retina being damaged, but if he and the original were one and the same, the other eye would not be yellow.

Here is what an expy is, btw. It is short for "exported character." http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/Expy

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://bluedramon.deviantart.com
Not sure if I mentioned this, but different color would not really disprove if two characters are one and the same. Take for example Old One and Hyp. Here are pictures to prove my point.

Notice the differences? They are the same character, but they both look different. And it's not just episodes where characters have changed appearance. Littlefoot's mother, for instance, had changed her looks in movie 10.

Note how Littlefoot's mother changes colors dramatically, from clearly brown in the first movie to a blue in this movie.

So personally I don't feel a change in appearance or color is enough to prove two characters aren't the same. If change in color and/or appearance is enough to say that two characters aren't one and the same, then none of the characters listed above would be the same character as they differ in appearance and/or color. But they are still the same characters despite the differences.

Noname

• The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I had a feeling this would be mentioned. In all cases above, the colors that are changed are simply a shift of one shade to another one within the same color, not a change from another color entirely, such as dark green (original sharptooth) to gray (Redclaw.) Frankly, the shifts you showed were totally the result of different animators, colorists, equipment, and/or art directors, not a conscious attempt at showing the progression of age, time, disease, or anything else.

And the eyes. The yellow eye that Redclaw has alone is enough to disqualify him from being a creature that once had two red eyes.

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
I guess if anyone WANTS to believe for the original movie's sharptooth to be identical with Red Claw he or she can just do so and nobody needs to have a problem with that.
If it comes however to trying to CONVINCE anyone else of that thesis, someone who does not believe it, the supporters of such a theory should come up with some kind of evidence for the two to be identical rather than everyone else having to come up with evidence for them not to be identical (especially when the death of the original movies sharptooth is not considered sufficient evidence).

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
My theory?  Red Claw is Sharptooth's brother.  Don't know where I got the idea, but I think it's something we could speculate. :)

DarthWill3

• Ruby
    • View Profile
If you ask me, those two sharpteeth are somewhat related.

Salvatore Blackheart

• Chomper
    • View Profile
they are diferent the first sharptooth die in first flim

LBTDiclonius

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Hmm...I've thought that maybe they were brothers or the same Sharptooth altogether. That could truly be possible that they are the same, they both have the same drive and determination, and their injury's are almost alike, except for the fact that it's on opposite eyes.

I'm not sure if the T-Rex could actually swim, but THE Sharptooth must've had some leg power to have jumped onto the back of Littlefoot's Mother and stay on while she was most likely trying to get him off. So it is likely that he could've just swam up after the kids were gone, it's not impossible.