The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

LBT and Dink, The Little Dinosaur

Almaron · 14 · 2440

Almaron

• Spike
    • View Profile
I know, it's a silly thought. But the two series are quite similar in some aspects, each has a gang of five prehistoric creatures, and each lives in a land safe from carnivores, plus some of the voice actors are the same.

Makes you wonder if the "Green Meadow" of their series is the same place as the "Great Valley". Could be in the past, before it got the "Great" status, and when Edaphosaurus was more likely to have lived, or it could be in the future, as the different herds are all friendly to eachother (Plus, apparently Green Meadow was made by a Longneck. Somehow I don't think Topps would cope if that was true.).

aabicus (LettuceBacon&Tomato)

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Rations
    • View Profile
    • aabicus.com
That would make for a pretty interesting fan fic, Almaron. You should expand on the idea. Maybe Dink and co. fight some menace, and trap it in a cave or something for many years, and then it breaks loose when Littlefoot and co. are alive? Littlefoot's generation could learn some of their valley's history.

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://bluedramon.deviantart.com

Chiletrek

• Cera
    • View Profile
Hello:
 After remembering how uncle Longbeak was, I may figure Pterano could easily be Flapper's father.
 But I like the general idea! because Dink and LBT is the most plausible crossover.
 Keep it up with your idea.

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
It could lead to an interesting fanfiction.  It is possible they are related somehow or Dink being in the past.  The main thing is you'd have to ignore or make non canon the bits where Crusty can take off his shell.  It is the main focus of getting his shell back, in 1 segment of an episode of Dink.

Almaron

• Spike
    • View Profile
I haven't seen the show in years, so I couldn't write the story well. Although, I do like the idea. Maybe I'll throw them in as a cameo in the story I'm currently working on.

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
There is some Dink episodes on Youtube, last that I know of.

Compsognathus

• Member+
  • Petrie
    • View Profile
Dink, The Little Dinosaur was first dinosaur cartoon, that I remember I watched (I was 5 years old) , I liked it very much, and when I watched LBT, I have noticed very soon, that 5 gang members, chasing by carnivores, Green Meadow/Great Valley are very similar in some ways. I watched it in english later, and I was disappointed, that in Czech it was nearly impossible to lay my hands on Czech dub, so I watched it in English dub, but again, I did find only about 15 episodes of 40. I found some more later, and I loved it. Fortunately, it was then released on DVD in 2017.
Dink has a very similar role in the gang as Littlefoot. Both are leaders, smart, brave, very similar, if not same species. My favorite characters were Scat and Flapper.

Nanotyrannus

• Junior synonym
  • Chomper
  • i'll put something here eventually
    • View Profile
A friend showed me a few episodes of Dink a couple years back; though I can't go off of what I said on it at the time (thank you, Fandom, for completely levelling my message wall :ceramad), what I can say is that I was pretty thoroughly appalled by both of the episodes I watched (one with a character being ostracized by the dinosaur civilians of the Great Value Great Valley and the other, which put me off of watching anything else from the show, about Scat - who, I have to say, I absolutely detested by the end of the episode, the first thing I did after watching it was draw him being eaten - harassing an Iguanodon thing because... I don't plainly remember, something to do with fruits).

The thing that stuck out to me most when watching both episodes, besides the cheap animation and how much of a shameless ripoff of The Land Before Time it came off as, was the sound design - even in the first of the episodes I watched, which had a decently dark tone and wasn't really comedic in anyway, it was laced with ultra-cartoony, zany sound effects that massively detracted from the piece.

What I think is most interesting in the show is less related to how it plagiarized the original LBT movie and how later LBT media may or may not have drawn influence from the show. To give an example: not long after I was shown those two episodes, another user on the site started watching the episodes and took a liking to them, and started posting screenshots and audio clips; though, again, I don't have the original posts on hand anymore because of the site trashing itself, he once pointed out to me that one of the episodes involved the characters playing a game involving running on a log and trying not to fall off, well before 'The Great Log-Running Game' from the TV series was a thing. An eye for an eye, I guess  :PLoofah

Dr. Rex

• Member+
  • Petrie
  • Nah nah nah, nah nah nah, nah nah nah...imaginary!
    • View Profile
Never heard of this show until now. That's super-uncanny. Some of the LBT VAs are also involved with this show too! Crazy, I think I'll check it out.

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I have something to say.  Before the DVD release, I was the one that virtually saved Dink, the Little Dinosaur from obscurity.

You see, way back when, I stumbled across this series and I was intrigued to know more.  I wanted to watch it, but the only way was through illegal downloads. (There were only a few episodes on YouTube or Dailymotion and torrents for it had no seeds or leeches.) It was on a site called Rapid Upload.  It was the only place to reasonably get it.  I'm not sure if it was my connection or the site's at the time, but those downloads took a long time to get.  They took hours.  I would literally start an download before work or bed, and then come back to it POSSIBLY being done.  It wasn't guaranteed, which is another reason it sucked so much.  I eventually got them all, but I didn't want others to suffer like I did.  I liked the series so much, I decided to do something about it.

After upscaling them to 480p, I put them up on YouTube and Dailymotion.  On top of that, I created an account on Media Fire to have others download on a better site.  People came from many different areas around the world and got to see it.  Of course, nothing lasts and it was eventually taken down.  Everything was just gone one day.

I probably still have the old files somewhere.  I'll have to do a search later just to see.

Anyways, I, for one, do not see this series as a ripoff of The Land Before Time.  If only because of the fact that Dink, the Little Dinosaur came out BEFORE the sequels.  In fact, due to this, I wouldn't be surprised if the writers of The Land Before Time sequels got inspired by the episodes of Dink, the Little Dinosaur. (There are striking similarities, story wise.)

Dink, the Little Dinosaur is a hidden gem of a series.  It takes a bit to get good. (Took me until episode 10 to appreciate it.  Almost gave up on the ninth one.  Trust me, THAT episode was terrible.) However, once you get there, it stays good.  It's worth watching and I would recommend it to anyone who's interested.

Sneak

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
cool story about saving the series. :)

There's Russian translation of this series in internet (last time I checked - some episodes are misssing. Maybe they were not translated at all, who knows). I met this series on one of sites, when I saw previeww picture with dinosaurs, and watched couple episodes. I didn't watch the rest, so I can't say my full opinion about this series.
Of course, my mind compared this series with LBT. :)

Dr. Rex

• Member+
  • Petrie
  • Nah nah nah, nah nah nah, nah nah nah...imaginary!
    • View Profile
I have something to say.  Before the DVD release, I was the one that virtually saved Dink, the Little Dinosaur from obscurity.

You see, way back when, I stumbled across this series and I was intrigued to know more.  I wanted to watch it, but the only way was through illegal downloads. (There were only a few episodes on YouTube or Dailymotion and torrents for it had no seeds or leeches.) It was on a site called Rapid Upload.  It was the only place to reasonably get it.  I'm not sure if it was my connection or the site's at the time, but those downloads took a long time to get.  They took hours.  I would literally start an download before work or bed, and then come back to it POSSIBLY being done.  It wasn't guaranteed, which is another reason it sucked so much.  I eventually got them all, but I didn't want others to suffer like I did.  I liked the series so much, I decided to do something about it.

After upscaling them to 480p, I put them up on YouTube and Dailymotion.  On top of that, I created an account on Media Fire to have others download on a better site.  People came from many different areas around the world and got to see it.  Of course, nothing lasts and it was eventually taken down.  Everything was just gone one day.

I probably still have the old files somewhere.  I'll have to do a search later just to see.

Anyways, I, for one, do not see this series as a ripoff of The Land Before Time.  If only because of the fact that Dink, the Little Dinosaur came out BEFORE the sequels.  In fact, due to this, I wouldn't be surprised if the writers of The Land Before Time sequels got inspired by the episodes of Dink, the Little Dinosaur. (There are striking similarities, story wise.)

Dink, the Little Dinosaur is a hidden gem of a series.  It takes a bit to get good. (Took me until episode 10 to appreciate it.  Almost gave up on the ninth one.  Trust me, THAT episode was terrible.) However, once you get there, it stays good.  It's worth watching and I would recommend it to anyone who's interested.
Dang, I salute you for your long and tiresome efforts at salvaging this series. It's so intriguing on all the stuff you can find under the surface of popularity.

chomper94

• The Chomper Fanatic (and the Meme Boy)
  • Member+
  • Ducky
  • Hop in, we’re gonna go visit the GOF.
    • View Profile
I’m pretty sure I found Dink exists by searching for LBT ripoffs on Google, and Dink came up, no joke.  I then got the DVD, watched all the episodes, and it was good, I guess?  I mean, I like LBT better because Dink was just a show, and that’s it, but I have a good side for Dink.