The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Happy (Belated) Birthday GOF

Petrie · 13 · 3143

Petrie

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
  • It's good to be the king!
    • View Profile
It would probably get missed in the birthday section, so I felt like posting this out here.  I almost jumped the gun during the summer thinking the GOF had actually been around for 10 years, but then checked the math again and realized it hadn't been.  :lol:

On October 12, 2012, the GOF forum turned 9 years old, having been officially created in 2003 with a far different purpose in mind.  Its been at this location on invisonfree since 2004.

:birthday  :birthday  :birthday  :birthday

If it can manage one more year, that would be awesome.  :wow

Share a favorite GOF memory as we look back on 9 years.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I'd like to remember the original team that decided to jump ship with me from ezboard to invisionfree in 2004 when we decided to go all out and create a better Land Before Time forum for fans.  Those that came with me--Malte, Nick and Jason (Littlefoot1616).  It may have seemed crazy at the time, because we basically went and started from scratch all over again, but that hacker at ezboard put an end to my willingness to stay there.  Hard to believe we're all still around in some way after nine years.  :DD

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile

jansenov

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
As a relatively new member, on this occasion I feel like a kid standing on an old pedestrians stone bridge.  The bridge may have lost some of its original shine, but its foundations are sound and people are still using it, some of them longer than anyone but themselves remembers. You can still greet people on the bridge, stand by the side and talk with them, or just marvel together what's going on in the town nearby or what is brought by the river below. But there is also the feeling, that many people have been on the bridge, that many a friendship was made, many an argument broke out, that the bridge saw many a laugh and tear. The mute witnesses of these past times can still sometimes be seen carved on the walls, but the experiences remain lost to the newcomer forever.

Best wishes for your ninth birthday, GOF, and may the next year always be a better one.

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
9 years, its a very long time especially when boards like ours usually dont last that long or survive the ending of the series. we have been lucky enough to be an exception.  over those 9 years we've had a dtrong group of regulars who have made this board what it is. posters come and go, but all leavce thier mark..
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.thelandbeforetime.org
9 years, huh?  Well I've only been here for 5 years and I'm looking forward to seeing GOF's 20th birthday.  Will the board survive that long?  I have no idea.  But I'll definitely keep coming here till the end.  Whether that's when I die or when I'm the last one on the board, I'll be here. :D

But still 5 years so far with you guys.  That's quite a long time now that I think about it.  Heck.  My life was sooooo different 5 years ago.  This board is one of the only things that's remained constant in my life.  Here's to you GOF. :smile

Littlefoot1616

• The Circle
  • Cera
  • The game is on; so let's play!
    • View Profile
Wow! 9 years! Doesn't seem like that amount of time has past.  :wow I remember coming to the "pre" GOF board way back when I was at uni in 2003. It was great chatting to fellow LBT fans from around the world on a series that I thought no one cared about (certainly my friends didn't). The jump to the invisionfree board was a bold one but definitely worth the effort. What came to me as even more of a shock was when Petrie asked me to be one of the admins for the site. How could I possibly refuse? And look at it now! Full of wonderful members from even further stretches of the globe, friendships being made, fanart and projects, stories (fanfiction and personal tales), discussions and debates. I could go on for ages. I'm so glad to be part of this forum and seen it grow. Thanks go to the members for that! :D

Here's to 9 years of the GOF and here's to many more! :celebrate

Mr Wonk

• Petrie
    • View Profile
Happy birthday to the forums! Nine years is a long time. And around the time Land Before Time 10 came out. It must of been great in the old days know. But why was the board hacked? (If you don't mind me asking...)

Chiletrek

• Cera
    • View Profile
Hello:
 And happy birthday GoF!  :birthday  :DD  :wow .

Nine years is indeed a lot, but i am sure that if this board have survived this muchm, it is very likely that it will get to it's 10th anniversary, and I hope that one will truly b a huge party! :) .

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
A happy 9th birthday and hopefully many more to come.  

:birthday  :celebrate  :cheers

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
Indeed I don't share the spirit of "If it can manage one more year, that would be awesome." but much rather expect it to last longer than that. The Gang of Five is by now so established a community that unlike the old days it doesn't stand or fall with the presence or absence of a single member or even the question whether or not there will be any other official land before time releases. We can be a little more determined than that (though "proportions" may vary :p):

(Though, when back in the days when the closing of the office in charge of LBT was announced I hadn't meant for Ducky to look like she was about to beat the viewer up and certainly I hadn't meant for the characters to look so distorted, I still hope the image gets the message across. We're here to stay and not being estinguished easily) :lol

Pterano

• The Fabulous Fearsome Flyer
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
I feel much the same way Jansenov does, being a new member myself. I'm still glad to be around here though, and am still happy I joined a year and a half ago. Happy Birthday to the GoF!

(runner up)
(runner up)
---------------------------------------------------

Poster of the Gang of Five's 400,000th post

Chomper98

• Grand Admiral
  • Member+
  • Petrie
    • View Profile

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
    • Knowhere: A Geek Culture Fan Forum
Wow, this place was about a year old when I joined. How time flies. I feel old.

EDIT: Nope. Two years. Just checked.
"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you." -Gandalf