The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Pairings

lbt/cty_lover

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
I've been reading a variety of fan-fictions on FF.net and that got me thinking.
Why do people like pairings?
So, to see what people think, I've created this topic.

What do you think about character pairings? Do you like them or not? Why?
If you do like pairings, what pairings do you like? By the way, this is NOT restricted to Land Before Time. Any character pairings in general, be they from LBT, Harry Potter, or some other media that you like.

Me personally, I think that pairings, when implemented correctly, can make a great fan-fiction. If you know how to make relationships, and you can write pretty well, then pairings in your fan-fictions probably will turn out just fine. It is slash that gets on my nerves.
As for pairings, I will admit, I am a fan of Eragon/Saphira pairings. Sounds weird, but when done correctly, it turns out to be an excellent read. In fact, there is this one fan-fiction called The Future Begins on FF.net that is, in my opinion, the best Eragon/Saphira fan-fiction on FF.net.

Explorer

• Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://gatewayisland.proboards.com
Well, you mean two characers for main characters or two characters that, or, I don't know, form a pair (eiter romantical or not) out of the original stories?

In both cases, they help outbecause some people just love seeing X character with Y, because either its awkward or they simply match.

Serris

• General of the Great Valley
  • Member+
  • The Gang of Five
  • The cyberpunk Deinonychus
    • View Profile
In all honesty, I don't care about pairing because plot and action are what drives the literature for me. Pairing is helpful because it helps develop the character.

Poster of the GOF's 200,000th post

Please read and rate: Land Before Time: Twilight Valley - The GOF's original LBT war story.

lbt/cty_lover

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Quote from: Explorer,Oct 13 2008 on  07:01 PM
Well, you mean two characers for main characters or two characters that, or, I don't know, form a pair (eiter romantical or not) out of the original stories?

In both cases, they help outbecause some people just love seeing X character with Y, because either its awkward or they simply match.
Yes, I do. Truly, in my opinion, pairings are, at least in part, a way for an author to add on to a plot with a minimum amount of planning. It is difficult to write a pairing effectively, but it is a useful tool when writing fan-fiction.

jedi472

• Jedi Knight
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
In my opinion, a pairing, if the two characters truely compliment each other well, can be one of the greatest things in fanfiction, as well as a great plot motivator and conflict point, aside from being just enjoyable to read about. Species pairs are cause for debate, but I believe even these, when done appropriately, can be cool as well. (I'm a fan of Eragon/Saphira pairs myself)

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.thelandbeforetime.org
Pairings in fanfictions....not my favorite thing but if it's done in moderation (meaning no explicit sex scenes or anything), it's fine.  And it HAS to be mutual if anything actually happens between the two characters in question.  I don't have a problem with inter-species romance fanfics, however I try to stick away from them because they're usually not done very well.  I'm not a big fan of fics with pairings of any kind, but if the story has it I'm fine with it so long as it follows those simple rules.

kjeldo

• Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://halolz.com
i'm ok with it, as long as there ain't any sex scenes,

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
With this thread being in the LBT section I shall limit this post to refer to LBT pairings. I guess a lot depends on how far you will stretch the term "pairing". The LBT characters are very young kids! Don't ever forget that. If you have any doubts about their unawareness of sexual matters just look at the scene of LBT 2 where Littlefoot asks his grandparents about babies or (if you say that many sequels have passed since) the one in LBT 10 where Littlefoot mentions that he was not aware that he even had a Dad or the one in LBT 11 where he asks Cera about Tria becoming her new mom. All of these scenes indicate that the kids are not really aware about "physical aspects of a love relationship".
One might hold against this that in a place as open as the Great Valley and with the eggs shown in the nests of Ducky's and Petrie's mother in LBT 2, and Tricia's egg it does not seem very probable that they had never known at least vaguely where the eggs are coming from.
However, in any case kids are absolutely TABOO which puts me against stories of such content. I am aware that some GOF members in fact like or wrote such stories though they would never admit it here. Both their liking for such material as well as their wish not to admit it here shall not be infringed, but I appeal to them not to let those fantasies get the better of them!
Finally I would violate expectations of those who read earlier posts on the matter if I did not come up with the term "sandbox love" once again. Unaware as I take the LBT kids to be of matters sexual the relationship between Littlefoot and Ali doesn't seem to be quite the same as that between some other characters. It may be that there is a kind of love, but one that does not work the way it would among grownup dinosaurs and one that is not so based on sexual desires. We have Cera getting jealous about Littlefoot spending time with Ali, with Mo, and one might even put up the (more arguably) question whether or not Cera's being the main advocate against Chomper in LBT 2 and 5 may have had something to do with jealousy too. This jealousy is not usually as intense among "mere" friends, but at the same time (with Cera and Littlefoot not being of the same species and Ali being the only girl Cera is jealous of) it goes to show that the basis for jealousy is not the same as it would be in case of a grownup love relationship.

jedi472

• Jedi Knight
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Malte, I do have to agree with you on the gang being too young (at their present ages) to even think about "the birds and the bees", or develop an adult concept of love. But who says they'll stay that age? I think that in a fic where the gang is older than they are in the movies, love may be able to develop, whether it be a teenage crush or a marriage-like setup as adults.

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Cera may have gotten jealous since it taking time away from Littlefoot being with her, & it is change.  Not in the romantic sense, just that Cera dislikes change and she also prefers being one of the centers of attention.  Like during the song it takes all sorts Cera isn't content to sing with Ali on the highest point, unless at the very least she is there also.

& as far as biology, they may only know the sorts of stuff young kids do & are told, with no real details.  Babies come from eggs, the mother lays the eggs, and the father is involved somehow but they have no idea how, and most would have no interest.

lbt/cty_lover

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Um, yeah. Since this is much broader than LBT fan-fiction, can an admin move this to a different forum? Like The Fridge or AM?

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
Um, yeah. Since this is much broader than LBT fan-fiction, can an admin move this to a different forum? Like The Fridge or AM?
It is a mostly LBT related thread, I guess it should therefore better stay in the LBT related section.
Malte, I do have to agree with you on the gang being too young (at their present ages) to even think about "the birds and the bees", or develop an adult concept of love. But who says they'll stay that age? I think that in a fic where the gang is older than they are in the movies, love may be able to develop, whether it be a teenage crush or a marriage-like setup as adults.
I agree with what you say. The basis for my statements are the land before time characters we know from the movie and who are the subjects of many fanfictions. At their state of development the above descriptions would apply while I do not doubt that they would grow up and develop accordingly; though this is not likely to ever be part of a movie.
Cera may have gotten jealous since it taking time away from Littlefoot being with her, & it is change. Not in the romantic sense, just that Cera dislikes change and she also prefers being one of the centers of attention.
It is an interesting theory that fear of change rather than jealousy are Cera's motivation. I do not think however that this can really be an explanation. With all the concern Cera shows for changes regarding Littlefoot and her Dad she seems to remain remarkably untouched by Spike's departure in LBT 8, and at least not as concerned as the others about Ducky's kidnapping in LBT 7 (more busy to rub it in for Petrie than showing some real fear about Ducky). There are also changes which Cera would want to occur (e.g. no longer being treated like a hatchling by grownups). In LBT 10 it is once again Littlefoot's departure (and the resulting nightmare) that gets Cera to lead the others to a search for Littlefoot. I really don't think that a general dislike of change of any kind can explain her reactions about Littlefoot sufficiently.
Like during the song it takes all sorts Cera isn't content to sing with Ali on the highest point, unless at the very least she is there also.
I may be mistaken of course, but I take that scene to be more of matter of general movie Choreography rather than an extremely meaningful scene. Rather than interpreting the scene as Cera being "not content" with singing alongside Ali on the highest point of the rock one could also interpret it as Cera leaving the highest point of the rock all to Ali for most of the time (accepting her as an equal part of the group). There is one scene in LBT IV whose choreography I consider much more meaningful than this singing on the rock scene. When they decide to get some sleep we see Cera lying down beside Littlefoot. Ali approaches with a somewhat sad face, Cera notices this and with a smile on her face she gets up to make room for Ali beside Littlefoot.

kjeldo

• Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://halolz.com
but cera changed alot through the series, right or not?

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.thelandbeforetime.org
I totally agree with Malte on the issue of LBT pairings.  The LBT characters are much too young to develop a physical relationship.  Heck, they're not even half way to the stage of experimentation yet.  They're certainly too young to know anything about the physical aspects of love.  Now, if a fanfiction doesn't specify their age and it's done right, it can be very good.  Those are the best kinds in my opinion cuz you don't have to think about such trivial matters such as age.

jedi472

• Jedi Knight
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Yeah, since they're all ten years old at most in the series, pairings at their current ages strikes me as a bit premature.

Cancerian Tiger

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
True, I can't imagine ten year-olds getting lucky :x.  That's so wrong <_<.  In regards to LBT, I'm not too crazy about interspecies romantic relationships.  It's too bizarre and could not work out 'cuz it contradicts nature in the sense that mating which results in producing offspring is essential to a species' survival.  I would prefer to see fanfics in which the Gang are equivalent to at least seventeen years of age and end up meeting potential dates which are of their own species.  I hope I have not offended those who favor interspecies romantic relationships.  I have no reservations against those who do, nor do I let it alter my judgement as to whether or not a fanfic is well-written.  It's just my personal fanfiction preference :yes.