The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

The Funniest Scene in LBT: RoST

Caustizer

• Ducky
    • View Profile
This scene is one from my fan-fic called Rise of Storm Tide. It's quite a long story so understandably most of you wouldn't reach this far in to read it. Because of this I thought it was a good thing to post seperately in additon to within the story because it's quite far in. I was laughing to myself while writing it, so I hope you like it too.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Setting: Morning lit up the Great Valley. The trees seemed to hum with the joy of the day’s first light and the early birds went after their worms or – in the case of many fliers here – the best tree-stars. This particular part of the valley wasn’t thick with woods or open plains but was a mixture of both. This made the area especially ideal for longnecks, which had lots of space to move about while they went about their breakfast.

<Grandma and Grandpa Longneck casually grazed on one of the trees. Other older longnecks were also around, taking their fill before the young ones woke up. By coincidence both Grandma and Grandpa go for the same bushel at once at once and touch noses>

Grandma: <laughs>

Grandpa: <looks away in embarrassment>

Guido: <yelling> Watch out! Ahhh!

<As if blown there by the wind, Guido suddenly rockets from the air into the tree making a hard impact amongst the leaves. Clearly he has to work on his landings. The branches cushion him, but they also tangle up his wings>

Grandma: <concerned> Guido… are you alright?

Guido: Oh yeah I’m fine, just fine <laughs> But umm, you think you could help me out? … please?

Grandma: <pushes aside the branches so Guido can get out>

Guido: <brushes himself off> I get so many sticks and pricklies in these wings it’s not funny… unless you like to laugh of course <nervously>…like me.

Grandpa: Is there anything else we can help you with?

Guido: <rubs the back of his neck> Yeah I was just wondering…you know… <he couldn’t believe he was asking this> … How do I get a girl to like me?

<Grandma and Grandpa look at each other in disbelief>

Grandma: <smiles and looks at Grandpa> I think you should answer this one.

Grandpa: Well I…ah… <begins> the most important thing to remember Guido is that they are more interested in themselves then they are in you <Grandma gives him a dirty look>…but that’s only at first! If you talk about her rather then about yourself, then she will always want to be around you.

Guido: <counts on his fingers> Talk about her… got it.

Grandma: <shoots a glance at Grandpa> Be considerate of her feelings… there will be times when she will need her space.

Grandpa: <snickers but disguises it as a sneeze>

Grandma: <Continues> … Show her you love her by giving her gifts, and taking your time for her.

Grandpa: But be strong and bold, a good mate will always look for confidence–

Grandma: <cuts in> –Demonstrate that you can be a good provider for her children.

Guido: <getting confused, he’s running out of fingers> Umm…okay.

Grandpa: <under his breath> Wake her up repeatedly in the middle of the night with your snoring…

Grandma: <sarcastically> Trick her into closing her eyes so you can sneak a kiss!

Grandpa: <angry> …and then get up early so you can eat the best tree stars before she does!

Grandma: <yells back> Insult her father on every occasion you can!

Grandpa: <stomps in rage> I never did that!

Grandma: Of course you did it was no wonder he never liked you!

Guido: <puts his hands over his face. This was horribly embarrassing>

Grandma: …and you–

Topsy: <interrupting> What’s all this racket…some of us are trying to sleep!

<He backs up in surprise as both longnecks shoot him venomous glares>

Grandpa: <calms down> Mr. Threehorn we were just discussing with Guido about how to be attractive to a mate.

Guido: <waves nervously as Topsy gives him a disgruntled glance. Evidently, he didn’t want to spread around the news he’d found a girlfriend>

Tospy: <snorts> Just be yourself… it’s not like you can be anything else…

<Satisfied he’d ended the conversation, Topsy turns and storms back to his sleeping area. Little does he know he just scored the only one-up on the longnecks he ever would. In the tree Guido marvelled at the simplicity of the thought. It made so much sense>

Guido: Bye Mr. and Mrs. Longneck! Thanks for the advice. <flies off to get as far away from them as possible>

Grandma: Anytime Guido.

<As the flier left both longnecks looked a bit ashamed at the argument they had caused. To avoid any further conversation they went back to eating – this time careful to avoid each other’s bushels>

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Make sure to read my fan fic and tell me what you think too - I can't improve my wirting if I don't have any reviews  :lol

Pangaea

• Member+
  • Cera
  • Contemplator of Deep Time
    • View Profile
I don't know...this seemed awfully out of character for Littlefoot's grandparents. I could sort of imagine this conversation taking place between Topps and Tria, but to see Grandpa and Grandma Longneck talking to each other like this, I thought: :huh: :blink: :wacko: <_<. Though I admit I did like the way Topps inadvertently broke up the argument and gave his own (distinctively Topps-ish) advice. Kind of sad, though, to hear that this is the only time he would ever one-up Littlefoot's grandparents. It seems the poor guy can never be right unless he's agreeing with them.

Just thought I'd share my less-than favorable opinion here so I wouldn't have to on the main story thread. I suppose I can accept this scene as merely showing a side of Littlefoot's grandparents we rarely see. In any event, it would appear that my sense of humor is radically different from yours. :p

One thing I do agree with you on is that more people need to be reviewing RoST (surely I’m not the only one reading it!): How else are you going to improve your wirting? (I am so, so sorry; I couldn’t resist. :lol)

Pronounced "pan-JEE-uh". Spelled with three A's. Represented by a Lystrosaurus.

Caustizer

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Now that you mention it Grandma and Grandpa Longneck are a bit off character... perhaps this is better suited as an outtake from the story. The idea behind this was to create a bit of humour in a story that has been pretty dark up to this point.

Mind you they could have just needed their coffee... even the wisest and nicest people have their moments and even the best matched of couples fight sometimes.

Pangaea

• Member+
  • Cera
  • Contemplator of Deep Time
    • View Profile
Are there coffee plants in the Great Valley? :p I agree that Grandma and Grandpa longneck must argue sometimes (albeit rarely), but the foundations of this argument seemed too shallow for it to be in character for them.

Maybe you could write an alternative to this scene. Asking for advice on courtship certainly seems like something Guido would do. :lol I noticed that Mr. Threehorn's suggestion was the same advice Guido gave Petrie before the Day of the Flyers. While it certainly sounds funnier coming from Mr. Threehorn, maybe you could have Petrie himself be the one to throw Guido's own advice back at him. (Petrie may not know anything on the subject himself, but he and Guido seem to be confidants, and I could easily imagine such a scene happening.)

Pronounced "pan-JEE-uh". Spelled with three A's. Represented by a Lystrosaurus.